Sony HX900 in Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pilch, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Pilch

Pilch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've recently got a Sony HX900 and connected it up to my Panasonic TX32PD30 with the QED Qunex PCV1 component cable.

I'm used to watching everything using the TVs 833i mode, but thought I'd try out watching Freeview through the HX900 and put it into progressive scan (this changes the TV from 833i to 576p).

Trouble is:

a) the colours become much more vibrant in progressive scan. I'm not sure whether they are over saturated or not. The picture in 833i looks 'grey' sometimes in comparison, but I'm not sure whether this is how Albert Square (Eastenders) is meant to look!

b) the 50Hz flicker ruins the 'looking through a window' effect of the 75Hz 833i mode. The flicker in 50Hz 576p is instantly recognisable and you realise you're 'just' watching TV.

c) I'm not sure I can see the extra clarity of the progressive scan picture. Should I see a noticeable difference?

True, this is all ilst watching Freeview, not a prerecorded DVD (which I haven't done a great deal of yet).

Any help? Is this what would be expected?

I was expecting to be wowed by Progressive scan.