1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HX900 - anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gavan, Jan 23, 2005.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a combined DVD/HD unit. The local electrical chain have a good deal on the Sony HX900 which looks like a very well specced unit (160GB HD, dual media compatibility) and would fit nicely with my mostly Sony gear.

However, I have a few doubts based on usenet searches. What's the editing like for stuff that you have recorded - eg could you cut the ad breaks out of a show before burning it to DVD? It seemed to me that you could do no editing when dubbing from HD to DVD and everything had to be done using the DVD-VR features when it was on a RW disc. Not really very useful.

Also, it seemed like the machine was very inflexible when trying to fit stuff on a DVD from the HD recorded at max quality. You had to use one of a number of preset settings (ie 1,2,3 hours per disc) instead of saying 'fit this 2hr 10min programme on a single DVD at the best possible quality'.

Finally, the timer function seemed rubbish. 8 events for a 160GB hard drive is a joke. Does anyone know if this could be changed in future firmware? Also, would the deck control a sat box (Sky) or a Freeview box when recording?

Gav

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,205
    Yes you can BUT it isn't as slick as the editting on other HDD/DVDRs such as those from Panasonic or Toshiba. Also there isn't a Divide function on the HDD - thus if you record two programmes back to back there is no way to split them without either deleting one or re-encoding them both to a DVDR (which would give a lower than desired bitrate).

That is a limitation - the core problem is only the HQ+, HQ, HSP and SP modes are full resolution. That means any recording over 2hrs (even if just 1min over) will be dubbed to DVDR in low resolution. If you foresee yourself doing many recordings over 2hrs in length then I would look elsewhere.

It won't be changed - you can either live with it or not - many people use PVRs (Sky+, DVB twin etc) as their "first line" recorder these days so timer slots is less important.

If your after general DVD recorder buying advice have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature!

3. S Helton

S Helton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    gavan, it seems like you answered your own questions. The HX900 is extremely poor when it comes to editing functionality, and the number of timer events is subjective (I have never personally set anywhere near 8 events at once, but I'm sure other people may need to).

When I selected the HX900, it met my main criterias - picture quality, playback quality, formats supported and a HDD for easier recording. However, I never feel the need to archive from HDD to DVD, thus the editing limitations cause me no grief.

I suspect you may need to look at other models, such as the Panasonics which are highly respected on these forums.