1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY HX900 and 16:9 recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by maddi, Jan 28, 2005.

1. maddi

maddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the HX900 for several weeks now, and I try to cope with one major problem.
    In Germany some programmes are broadcasted in 16:9/wide screen (PAL). After studying the manual I managed the recorder to record 16:9 programmes in the correct aspect ratio to the harddisc. Furthermore, as stated in the manual, the unit is able to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 within one single title - on the harddisc (recording format HDD: auto). So far so good.
    Now, I'm trying to dub (converting from HQ+ to SP) a 16:9 title from harddisc to a DVD-RW (video mode), while recording format DVD is set to 16:9. In this case the dubbed 16:9 title is always 4:3 on the DVD. I couldn't find a setting that would change that.
    With the same recording settings I tried this transfer with a DVD-RW (vr mode) - all settings were the same. Now, the 16:9 title keeps its original aspect ratio on DVD. But, who wouldn't prefer the video mode for more compatibility? Why this problem with DVD-RW in video mode?
    I couldn't find any hint in the manual that would explain this behaviour or declare it as 'normal operation'.
    So, has anyone here made the same experience or has even found a solution?

Thanks for any usefull hints
    Maddi

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi.
    I'm not sure if this is the right answer, but I know that -R discs don't record in widescreen. They squash it so that you have to use your tv's aspect ratio button to stretch out the image. As -RW in video mode is acting in a similar way to -R, compatibility wise, maybe your -RW disc is doing the same.
    Hope this helps.
    If I'm wrong, somebody will put you straight!

EDIT!
    Sorry! I meant to say that +R discs don't record in widescreen. Donut! :oops:

3. maddi

maddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After several weeks a got a reasonable answer from the SONY support. Now, they confirm the problem and agree that the user manual states something different (that it should work). Unfortunately there's no way to dub a 16:9 HDD recording to a DVD in video mode without automatic conversion to 4:3 including black bars.
    Furthermore, without asking, they wrote that even the upcoming models HX710 and HX910 would behave the same way. They can't explain why. Currently there's no firmware available correcting this problem.

The only way to archive 16:9 recordings is to use the VR mode which is less compatible than the video mode. Maybe there's a way to copy such a title via PC with a VR-enabled DVD writer to a standard video mode DVD-R(W).

Would be interesting to read whether other DVD recorders have the same limitation.

Maddi

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The Toshiba XS32 (which I have) supports creating 16:9 DVD-Videos (either –R or –RW). When dubbing to DVD, you can specify if the format is 4:3, 16:9, or “original” (where it uses the widescreen flag information in the original recording). I can record a 16:9 programme and dub it to DVD-R/RW with the correct widescreen format.

Mark