Question Sony HX850 & HT-CT150 HDMI Cable Problems

supwiddiss

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have contacted Sony Support for help twice since purchasing a 46 inch Bravia and home theater sound bar. I have "accidentally" found a solution to what has been an ongoing problem when connecting a satellite receiver STB and also a Sanyo DVD player.

TV and sound bar are connected with a fairly good quality, but not over expensive HDMI cable.
Both work together flawlessly. Until....

I plugged in A Sanyo DVD player to one of the TV HDMI ports. Within 10 seconds a message on the TV alerted me that the "Audio System is Disabled. Sound only came from the TV speakers.

Then after I unplugged the DVD player and got the sound bar working again I tried other HDMI TV ports. Same thing. The audio system became disabled, sound only from the TV.

Then I plugged the DVD into the sound bar HDMI ports and once again the bar became disabled, and no sound at all from anything. A previous satellite receiver worked perfect on a TV port, so did an Apple TV gen 3 using the same type of cable.

I gave up using the DVD player on the Bravia and put it on a Samsung TV/soundbar combo. Everything worked perfectly. I've never watched a DVD on the Bravia.

I have just gotten a replacement satellite receiver. When I plugged it into the same cable/port that the old receiver was on the audio system became disabled. It works perfect on the Sanyo.

As a fluke I used a short HDMI cable included with the satellite reveiver. The Bravia worked perfectly. I also took the DVD player and plugged it into the same cable. Perfect operation.

I have followed every single suggestion Sony support suggested, made every possible menu change on the TV and audio system in different combinations. All cables, including the smaller diameter HDMI cable from the satellite receiver and clearly marked "High Speed HDMI With Ethernet" or simply "High Speed HDMI".

Once again, only the cable from the satellite receiver that was in the shipping box works correctly with the Sony combination. I have about 8-10 different HDMI cable from 1-2 meters in length. Some don't not have the Ethernet marking but all are High Speed ones.

I understand that there are 4 types of HDMI cables used. But only one that I have so far will let the Sony system operate seamlessly with the new satellite receiver and DVD player.

Optical out from either peripheral source unit of course always lets the sound bar work but using any other HDMI cable (besides the sat box one) disables the sound bar altogether.

The sat box cable is generic with no manufacturer markings. What would I check for pinouts, differences in wiring, or anything that is different to get a few more of the ones that work right? My local retailers have been very supportive in my purchase and returns of different cables.

Now that I have determined that my whole ongoing problem was in cabling and Sony compatibility I'd really love to see someone offer assistance. I had even brought my DVD player to the store to see if it was perhaps a defect in my new stuff. It was not. The sales representative said "Hmmm...that's strange". Sony has sent me on a wild goose chase in settings and different ports hell !!

Thanks for reading my rant.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom