1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY HX710 worth £30 over HX510

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ukroadster, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    After reading every thread I have finally decided to go for a Sony HDD/DVD recorder as I believe ? that the Sony's have the best picture when playing commercial DVD's. Hopefully it will be as good as my Pioneer dv656 which it will replace.

Was about to buy the HX510 for £300 delivered when I spotted the HX710 for £330 at Pixmania.

Surely its worth the extra £30 for a 160gb hard drive alone ?

Just wandered why it seems so cheap ? I also notice no-one else seems to sell it in the UK ?

I am not interested in waiting for the digital tuner models as most of my recording will archiving from SKY+.

Finally, question for Raszack - Do you think that the Sony HX510/HX710 picture quality (with pre recorded dvd's) will be as good as my Pioneer dv656.

Thanks

Andy

2. dvdnoddy

dvdnoddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think Pixmania source their products from France. This might be French Model?

3. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently HX510 only supports DVD+R media

edit: according to UK Sony HX510s also supports both +- formats
    it seems that the only real difference is the larger HD
    the earlier info might have meant that it also supports DVD+R DL media but the sellers website forgot the "DL" part

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Maxi_TK96

Don't know where you got that from - completely false. Only unsupported format is RAM.

5. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Should I go for the HX710 then from Pixmania as it has double the hard drive of the HX510 for not much more cash ?

Just concerned there may be problems with it being a French model ?

I assume it will have an english section in the manual.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    The UK version of the 710 will sport a Freeview tuner (details here) - thus the version you're looking at is certainly a European model. There's no real problem with that however unless you want to record from Freeview. You will be able to get English menus.

Afraid I don't have any hands on experience with the Pioneer 656 so can't comment. The Sony range are decent enough at DVD playback - although they are still no match for a decent DVD player of the same generation.

7. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks Rasczak - your comments are appreciated and noted regarding playback.

Is it safe to say that although the playback of dvd recorders are not as good as stand alone dvd players, the Sony's are about as good as dvd recorders get. My alternative choice would be a Pioneer 530 but have heard that the previous generation Pioneers playback was not too good.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    That's certainly what I've found - and I test all major brand DVD recorders - it's certainly much better than the current crop of Pioneer recorders.

9. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks Rasczak,

you have confirmed what I thought.

I will go for the european HX710 if I decide I can trust Pixmania (read a few bad posts about them) or will get the HX510 locally tomorrow.

10. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All Sony DVD recorders available in all european countries (including UK) support PAL BG, DK, I, L (look at a HX510 in UK). So, don't worry, analogue tuner will work for you (if you want). 710 has DV In, so you can connect digital camcorder. Only 30 pounds for extra 80GB of HDD and DV In is a great deal. Sony recorders support DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW in Video mode and (also) DVD-RW in VR mode. DVD-RW VR works like DVD-RAM in some recorders.

I suppose, I will go for the same in the nearest future. Because of that, I would like to ask you some questions about your recorder when you receive it.

Cheers :clap:
    ArtS

11. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No Problem ArtS.

Once It has arrived and I have had a play then I will post some observations and I will try and answer your questions, although I probably wont use a lot of the functions as I primarily want it as a DVD player with occasional recording and archiving from Sky +.

Anyone tell me which is the most common, easiest, best discs to use.

Not sure wether i should get some blank DVD-R or DVD+R ?

Regards

Andy

12. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Rasczk - by "it's certainly much better than the current crop of Pioneer recorders" do you mean better than the 420/520, etc or the new 433/530/630? Have you had a chance to review these models yet.

I was a bit concerned by various posts (including your comments) that the Sony editing is not as good (e.g. pauses at delete points) as makes such as Panasonic and Pioneer. This would be an issue for me as one of my main uses will be recording/editing from a camcorder.

I was considering the Sony 710 but thought that Pixmanias original price of £390 was too high. Last week I ordered a Pioneer 530 which has similar spec (160Gb, DV-in, HQ+ and dual layer recording) to the Sony 710 for £270 from lxdirect. However, now that the Sony has fallen in price I may consider cancelling that order and getting a Sony 710 instead.

Waiting for DVB tuners is not much use for me as I cannot get Freeview.

13. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Does anyone know if anybody apart from Pixmania is selling this Sony 710 model yet?

Cheers

Paul

14. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I know, Sony HX710 is not officially available in the UK yet. Pixmania have European models (French location). Anyway, European models also support PAL BG, DK, I and L, so they are identical to 510, which is available in the UK. The exception for 510 is lack of DV In, ShowView and, of course, smaller hard disc.

ArtS ;)

15. podgerodge

podgerodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I purchased the HX710 from Pixmania as I do not have the freeview requirement either (I'm in Ireland). I can confirm that there is no problem selecting different PAL systems.

Fantasticly simple menu system, timer etc and great build.
    You would be initially "aware" of the hard drive fan but quickly forget about it.
    Doing an A-B erase does cause a pause in the recording, doesn't bother me though for normal tv recordings.

DV in and the dubbing feature work excellently.
    I've purchased a fair amount of stuff from Pixmania and never had any problems with them. They do try to add on a type of guarantee ("zen engagement" when checking out - that's up to you.

Tip - do a google search for "pixmania promotional code" before checking out - there are a couple of £10/Eur10 off when spending more than £150/Eur150 codes and they worked for me.

16. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi podgerodge

I envy you your shopping. By the way, can you answer these simple questions?
    1. Do freezes remain after dubbing recordings to DVD in fast or in real-time dub process?
    2. Do freezes occur when you use playlists editing?
    3. Can you play previously recorded titles from HDD when recorder is in Synchro Rec mode (see page 50 of the manual)?

Thanks a lot.

ArtS ;)

17. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One question I have - the (unconfirmed) specs for the upcoming Freeview version of the one up from this (the HXD910) at Avland http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrhxd910/rdrhxd910.htm talk of it being capable of "Up-scaling to 720p/1080i". Surely the ability to upscale (if confirmed) would put the picture quality of these Sony recorders in an even higher realm (for those with capable displays).

Can anyone confirm that the upcoming Sony (and indeed the HXD1010) will indeed have upscaling? If so this would be great for Freeview (if applied to the DVB-T signal as well as the DVD playback).

18. podgerodge

podgerodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Arts

Will try doing these things and get back to you.

19. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again, podgerodge

Thanks in advance. I'll be waiting for your results. :clap:

20. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I'd take the AV Land stuff with a big pinch of salt.

For a start its showing it as discontinued - bit soon for that :eek:

Also the component connection is shown as input not output - nice if true but I doubt it.

If it does upscale Freeview as well as DVDs, then it would be worth buying it just as a set top box, let alone a DVd recorder as well.

21. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheap electricals also say the RDRHXD910 will upscale to 720p/1080i.

22. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    What about component in?

23. AVJ

AVJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the spec from Sony on the new 910, but can't found "720p/1080i" upscaling ??! :oops:

250 GB Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Capacity, offers maximum 428 hours (equal to 53 DVD discs) of high quality recording

Dual R/RW (DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW) compatibility on recording & playback

Compatible with “DVD+R Double-Layer Disc”, archive long movie and preserve your memories in highest picture quality

High Quality Recording: Unique HQ+ Recording mode with higher definition and higher bit-rate data can be encoded at a rate of 15MB/second (outstripped the conventional rate of 9 MB/second), maintaining the best quality from original sources

Dynamic VBR Dubbing, ensures the best picture quality transmitted into DVD Disc

9 Rec. Modes - HQ+ (HDD)/HQ/HSP/SP/LSP/LP/EP/SLP/SEP, provide you complete control and flexibility over the quality and duration of all the recorder entertainment

New Intelligent Scene Chaptering, by employing Sony’s original scene-detecting algorithm technology with motion picture analysis technology, the DVD recorder can recognize significant scene and audio changes based on scene motion and insert chapter marks (HDD/ DVD-RW VR mode)

New Visual Chapter Search, which displays a small thumbnail image of the beginning of each chapter and save the researching time (HDD/ DVD-RW VR mode)

Easy Scene Chapter Edit, users just choose and erase unnecessary scene-thumbnails that were created by“Intelligent Scene Chaptering”, saves the editing time (HDD/ DVD-RW VR mode)

New unique feature “Fast Play with Audio”, allows users to easily control on playback speed and makes the contents more interesting. Long programs can be watched in a shorter time efficiently (HDD only)

New Pause Live TV feature, allows users can view the programme with a delay or simply fast forward to catch up with the real time broadcast, and control how they wish to view TV programmes (HDD only)

A/V Sync function, which eliminates any time-delay between picture and sound that can occur due to the digital signal processing when a picture is displayed on a flat panel display

High Speed dubbing, just ‘Copy & Paste’ the recorded contents from the HDD to DVD up to 64 times faster than normal

One Touch Dubbing- Transferring all DV content to HDD/DVD with one touch of a button

Chasing Playback & Simultaneous Record & Playback (HDD/DVD-RW VR mode)

NICAM Recording function (HDD/ DVD-RW VR mode)

Equipped an i.LINK™ terminal, provides camcorder friendly connection on Video Camera for high quality data transfer

Playback: PAL / NTSC; Recording: PAL / SECAM

Superior picture quality:
    - 12-bit / 108MHz Video DAC
    - Precision Cinema Progressive (PAL/NTSC)
    - TBC (Time Base Corrector), New D-Matrix Noise Reduction (Frame NR/ Block NR/ Mosquito NR) and Video Equalizer

Superior audio quality:
    - 192kHz / 24bit Audio DAC, TV Virtual Surround (TVS) – Dynamic/ Wide/Night/Standard

Inputs:
    - TV Antenna Input x 1
    - S-Video / Composite Video / Audio-R/L x 3
    - i.LINK Input (Front) x 1

Outputs:
    - TV Antenna Output x 1
    - S-Video / Composite Video / Audio-R/L (Rear) x 1
    - Component (Y/Cb/Cr) x 1
    - Digital Audio – Coaxial & Optical x 1

Dimensions (W x H x D): 430 x 75 x 328 mm

Weights: 5 kg

24. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So why all the recording modes if it has "dynamic VBR dubbbing"?

25. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About VBR (Variable Bitrate)

If you record to HDD, recorder writes additional information about scene complexity. So, if you dub recorded title to DVD, recorder uses this additional information to allocate more bits to complex scenes and less bits to simple scenes.

ArtS :hiya:

26. san_marco

san_marco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the sony 910 not have a HDMI output as well?

http://dttboxes.co.uk/dvdrvcr/sony-rdrhxd910.html

27. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I thought it did.

However, one is listed as coming in shortly at leconcepts and that doesn't either.

28. Lanius

Lanius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

29. PeteTh

PeteTh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 910 does upscale and does have HDMI output, this is confirmed in the review in HCC Mag latest UK issue.

30. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello ukroadster

Did you buy the 710 from pixmania ?? and are you happy with the machine and the service??, I want to go for the 710 (pixmania £303) over the 510 at about £308 from UK sites as I want the DV in and the 160gb, I think cheap electricals are advertising the 710 (which I assume is UK stock when it finally arrives or then again maybe its not, could still be european) at £440, quite a hefty saving !!

Just wondered if you went down that road and how you got on

Cheers

CN