Sony HX710 VBR dubbing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CLH, Oct 14, 2005.

1. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I dubbed a film last night.

The size was 9.8GB and I wanted to put it on an 8.7 GB dual layer +R. It worked fine.

However, I selected auto mode when asked to.

When finished I noted that the recorder had only used 6.7GB of the disc and had effectively plumped for HSP mode.

Don't get me wrong, it's still excellent but is there any way around this?

2. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While dubbing Sony offers you auto reencoding mode, but it offers only one of its recording modes. I don't know, in which mode your original title was recorded. I suppose, that it was HQ or HQ+, so recorder automatically chose HSP mode which was much closer to disc capacity. Sony cannot set bitrate between one of its 8 available modes.

ArtS :)

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Do I really gain anything by using HQ+ or HQ to record the programme in the first place???

4. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot say if you really gain using HQ+ and HQ first, and then reencode to lower bitrate. As I know, Sony writes additional information about scenes complexity, so it can use it while reencoding to allocate more bits to more complex scenes and less bits to less complex scenes. It is called VBR encoding. Theoretically it should make a better quality. So, if you first record in HQ+ and reencode to eg. SP, it should be better than direct recording the same in SP. Of course it depends on quality of Sony's VBR encoder. I plan to do some experiments and comparisions in near future. I would like to know, if reencoding from HQ+ to lower modes is makes sense.

Remember, reencoding from HQ+ to HQ doesn't make sense, because HQ cannot use VBR variations - its 9 Mbps bitrate is maximum value for DVD specification. Reencoding to any other lower mode could make sense.

ArtS :)

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Remember, reencoding from HQ+ to HQ doesn't make sense, because HQ cannot use VBR variations - its 9 Mbps bitrate is maximum value for DVD specification. Reencoding to any other lower mode could make sense

Except that you have to reencode since HQ+ at 15MBPS is not DVD compliant. I do all recording to HD at HQ+, then set the dubbing level to fit onto the disc. I take your point about HQ but at anything less than 108 minutes for a DL disc it does give best quality.