Sony HX710 or HXD710

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by medglass, Apr 17, 2005.

1. medglass

medglass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been waiting about a year for Sony to bring out these new DVD/HD recorders, however I understand that the RDR-HX710 does not have an integral digital tuner.

Can someone tell me if it's better to wait until September for the RDR-HXD710 (with integrated digital tuner) or can I get the same functionality by buying a the analogue version and a Sony freeview box (the VTX-800U).

I thought that maybe the i-link and smartlink connectivity on the recorder and freeview box might let you achieve the same result (i.e. EPG integration and the automated programme selection, allbeit with two boxes). Is this the case or would the DVD recorder not be able to communicate with the set top box?

I suspect I can guess the answer.... ;)

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have a VTX-800U, the Smartlink only works on the "VCR" SCART, which isn't RGB. So if you can get it to work you would lose quality.

Mark

3. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you're able to wait then do so. I beleive the 710 without a Digital Tuner is not intended for the UK market anyway.
    The 710 or 910 (250 HD) with integrated digital tuner will give much better results and save on boxes/cables/loss of signal via cables etc.