1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HX510S Double Layer Recording Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IrishGraham, Aug 3, 2005.

1. IrishGraham

IrishGraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I buy a Double Layer +R (one write I presume) disc and set the machine for 1.5 hour mode and record say Return of the King off Sky Movies will the machine record the full 3 hours at the 1.5 hour mode quality.

Are the Double Layer discs good quality and does anyone know if they freeze when moving from recording/or playing the top layer to the bottom layer the way pre recorded dvds have a pause between layers. I only ask becuase I dont want to record a 3 hour film and halfway throught he machine cant read the second layer and jams.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    No. The recording times onto DVD+R DL discs are:

HQ (Normally 60mins per disc) - 1hr 48mins
    HSP (Normally 90mins per disc) - 2hr 42mins
    SP (Normally 120mins per disc) - 3hr 37mins
    LSP (Normally 150mins per disc) - 4hr 31mins
    LP (Normally 180mins per disc) - 5hr 25mins

3. IrishGraham

IrishGraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Rasczak, I just presumed that if its double layered it would mean double the capacity, double the running times etc. Now I can judge where one is required. :)

4. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I read an article recently on a Sony DVD Recorder (pretty sure it was the 510) which stated that when recording anamorphic content onto a dual layer disk it is converted to letterbox format. Anamorphic contents can however be recorded onto other media. Has anybody else heard of this and if so do they know why.