1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HX510 Playback reliability

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NeilC, Aug 3, 2005.

1. NeilC

NeilC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at replacing my Sony DVP-S7700 as I am increasingly getting fed up with it hanging when playing back slightly damaged discs (which is most of the time, being a member of Amazon DVD rental).

The damaged DVDs all seem to play on my PC DVD-RW and on our £40 DVD player at work.

I was thinking of getting the Sony 510 or 500, but a question to any owners. What are these machines like for playing damaged discs. Will I be suprised at how problem free this is compared to my old 7700 (which I am loathed to replace as it is truely excellent when it manages to play a disc with out freezing).

Also, I am thinking of getting another Sony VTX-D800U (I already have one for the telly) to be able to record a different program to the one I am watching. Do they interface simply, or has anybody had problems. Its a pity the 510 no longer has the built in tuner. Are Sony shortly to release one including a Tuner?

Thanks for any replies

Neil

2. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    my hx510 plays damaged (relatively lightly) discs without a problem - its a v ery dependable machine - and the 710 (sep/oct) will have a digital tuner i believe.

3. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello Neil C, I also am facing your dilemma regarding and old Sony 7700.
    It's been a great player so far but I see the "C:13" error far too often from
    even some of my own discs! I even went and had it serviced and after
    balancing they replaced the laser after reporting the emission was low.
    It really is frustrating not being able to play discs on what was an 800 quid
    player when the 40 quid Alba plays them find. I wondered at one stage whether it was a Sony issue as sometimes the discs would stick on the PS2,
    but now technology has moved on, especially the Hard Disc option I feel it's time for a change.

I originally waited out for the XS-34 as I thought this would have the Digital Tuner and better Full Res Mode, but alas no. However like all these things you wait out for the latest feature and another is just around the corner. For instance I'm now thinking of the new Panny with the Digital Tuner built in available later this year but I'd also like a HDMI output in case I upgrade my CRT for a Plasma and I'm not sure if it will have this. I suppose I'll just have to dive in sometime soon and accept the consequences !! What are your options ?

Muzza

4. NeilC

NeilC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose things move on and the 7700 is now old generation.

I think I will just wait for the Sony 910 to appear in the shops and take a damaged disc in to test.

I would be more than annoyed if I bought another all singing and dancing (mega bucks) player which didn't perform simple tasks (such as playing a disc) with the same efficiency of a £29 Alba DVD player.

What to do with the 7700 though?????

Keep it as a high end CD player?