Sony hx510 Erratic behaviour

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Wando, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Wando

Wando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am new to the forum and to the world of DVD recorders.

Yesterday I purchased a 510 and had only problems with it, therefore today it's going back to the shop.
    Basically the unit stops responding while I am "playing around" with it i.e. moving to menues or changing signal source, but never while recording.
    When this happen the only option would be to leave it disconnected for 10 mins.
    I appreciate that these units are computers and therefore occasionally they can crash, but this one seems to freeze far too often and therefore is going back.
    The question is: I only read raving reviews on this unit, but has anyone experienced similar problems? I assume that this could not be caused by my setup?

Cheers and thanks,

2. Wando

Wando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Returned the faulty unit and swapped with another one of the same.
    Initial tests are promising. No problems so far.

By the way, I hope that the lack of responses to my previous posting is not caused by anyone taking offence at me dissing their lovely recorder. I am still a 510 owner after all. I want this unit to work... but at the same time I am very interested in knowing if anyone has experienced similar problems.

Cheers.

3. Wando

Wando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right then. Looks as I am talking to myself :suicide: , but due to the fact that this thread can be reached through search engines I better complete my story.

I now had the new unit for a few days and it just works wondefully. It meets and exceeds all my expectations :thumbsup: . The only gripe is that I now realise how useful it would be to have an internal freeview decoder. The advantage of this would be twofold:
    a) being able to watch a freeview channel while recording another.
    b) one single timer to program for timer recording.

Have fun and.... don't reply to too many forum posts :D

4. peejay2

peejay2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, do not feel so lonely

Great to know you are happy with the unit now. I'm holding on for the HX1010

5. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I think you will find when Sony do release their Freeview model it will only have one tuner. (I had a peek indide my HX510 and see there is a space on the main PCB for another tuner module about twice the length of the analogue tuner module. There is also a space for a socket like a HDMI.)

6. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Did a search and found this thread, I've had my Sony HX 510 since mid-July and it has been perfect up until yesterday.

When I turn the machine on and scroll through the Title List the machine will freeze after I've scrolled down to the 2nd page of recordings, then turn off, Welcome appears on the LCD (and sometimes recovery) and then the machine says Power off and turns off.

After a few attempts or playing one of the titles on the first page it seems to work OK.

Any ideas??

7. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My machine has another issue. Just after turn it on, Timer List and Tools doesn't respond. But, after using eg. Title List, everything works well. So I turn my machine by pressing Title List, not Power. I have contacted with service support and they sugested, that my machine must go for repair.

ArtS :cool:

8. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I think I may have solved this - looks like one of the films I recorded had corrupted or something and it was sticking on that title in the Title List (it failed to load the thumbnail too); I've now managed to delete it and evrything appears to be fine!

9. DT

DT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sister's 510 is doing this too. How do you go about deleting the offending program? The freezing happens pretty quickly so I'm not sure it can be deleted via Title List

10. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I managed to do this via the title list, it takes a little while for the thumbnails to load and I managed to select the offending programme before the thumbnail loaded and delete it.

I haven't experienced this error since (touch wood), so I've no idea what caused it.

11. DT

DT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight. Otherwise, is there a way to wipe the HD completely?

12. DT

DT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, managed to delete the offending programs and it worked fine for a day. Now it powers itself off after a few minutes of recording.

Having bought it from Amazon, how does she go about getting it replaced?

13. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I haven't had any problems like this with mine (thank goodness). Perhaps there are some faulty ones out there. It's otherwise a great machine, so might be worth getting a replacement.

As far as I've experienced, Amazon have been fine with returns. You need to contact them for a returns code and you can then print off a postage-paid label to stick on your return package to them. But they can give you the info in better detail than I can - it only takes an e-mail and they were quick getting back to me.

HTH.

14. DT

DT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sis emailed Amazon Thursday night and they delivered a replacement today. How's that for service!

Hopefully this one plays ball as it's a cracking machine

15. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    mY 510, started doing this, it doesn't give me the chance to delete anything.:eek:

I haven't used it that much!!!!

Does anyone know if I can format the HDD?

Is it worth just reporting the fault and sending it to get it fixed?

Do I report it to Sony or the people I bought it off?

Cheers

Bumper