SONY HX510 + bizarre problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Flamingcarrot, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Flamingcarrot

Flamingcarrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Sony HX510 and have got a number of issues with it. I am really flumoxed as I consider myself to be technically pretty savvy!

I have a Pace Digibox connected to the line 3 of the DVD recorder by SCART.
    The line out of the DVD recorder goes to line 1 in of my Sony TV.
    This is the way the manual shows connection for this particular set up.

Now my problems start.

If i press the system menu whilst watching Sky, the menu appears over a "smeared" greenish picture in the background. I have to press the line input button to get back to Sky. Surely this should not be an issue?

Next problem is just bizarre.

I was watching C4 on Wednesday and decided to record Lost. L1 input on the DVD is whatever you are watching, so I set it to record for 1and a half hours. Timer starts counting down no problem, so I turn off the TV and go to bed.
    Next evening I turn the box etc and press title list. Lo and behold there it is.
    I press play and start watching. Well, that is until the time I turned the TV off and the picture went!
    Surely the TV is just a display and turning it off should not influence a recording?

To be sure I tried again with a short TV recording, and same problem!

I am totally lost myself!

Please help. :lease:

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help here - I have a Sony GX3 DVD recorder set up, by the sounds of it, the same as you. I record Sky from Line 1 as you mention but can switch off the TV and the recorder will still do its stuff.

As to your first problem, that's also weird - I've never seen anything like it.

The only positive thing I can post here is that I also watch Lost and can tell you, in case you didn't already know it, that it is repeated on a Saturday evening on Channel 4.

Sorry I can't be of any further assistance.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check your settings for SmartLink. When you use it, you can use DirectVT Recording. If so, you cannot turn off your TV (page 31). Maybe you should disable Smartlink?

About menu - it is probably issue, but you should check your cables. Maybe you should try to switch your cables? Your setup is exactly the same as mine. I have Sat TV, and I can show and hide System Menu with System Menu button without problem.

ArtS :hiya:

4. Flamingcarrot

Flamingcarrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both.

I have disabled the Smartlink but I am totally bemused as to why switching the TV off would stop the recording.

I will try to swap a few cables around and will let you know how I get on.

Is it me or does there seem to be a trend developing on problems with these Sony units?

Thanks for the Lost tip! Its gripping and I am convinced there is a Bermuda Triangle type answer or Island of Dr Moreau...

Have a good weekend :thumbsup:

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Enjoy catching up on Lost and you too have a good weekend.

Cheers,

Martin.

6. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Your HX510 does exactly the same as mine. The reason is that when connected to record from L1 (or L3 for that matter), the scart is in 'input' mode rather than output mode as it would be normally when sending a picture to your tv; when you turn the tv off, there's no input going to the HX510 so you get a blank picture. Nothing unusual about this.

I connected mine up like this:

TV RGB Scart <-->Sony Freeview TV scart socket

Sony freeview VCR Scart socket (with Smarlink enabled to get best picture) <-->HX510 L1 scart

HX510 L3 scart<-->NTL tv scart socket

NTL vcr scart socket<-->VCR

(VCR s-video and L+R audio to HX510 L2 out, just in case I need to use the video)

This way I can watch freeview and record NTL cable, or vice-versa, just have to use the 'tv/video' button to pass through the ntl signal to the tv. But, if I turn off the freeview box AND the tv, and the HX510 is set to record L1, I get a blank recording.

Hope that's useful in some way!

7. Flamingcarrot

Flamingcarrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats very helpful! Does this solve the menu appearing problem too? I will try this tonight and let you know how I get on. Very grateful for all the help! :clap:

8. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Not sure about the menu disappearing thing - I get this when the signal from the HX510 is not getting through to the tv, i.e. when the freeview box is not set to 'pass through' the signal from the HX510. When it is, the menu is there, fine.

9. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it the line in referred to on the tv is on a Scart connector.
    The green smeared picture is feedback caused by both pieces of equipment using line input/output. The line in on the Sony tv is receiving the output from the DVD recorder and then the tv is outputting the received signal straight back to the line in connections in the scart DVD recorder which is sending the received signal back to the tv and son and so forth. If the menu on the tv has an option to change the av out signal from say AV1 to AV3, do it and that may sort the problem. In any event, it's definitely a feedback prob.