1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HX510/710/910 shortcomings?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thewiz69, Sep 6, 2005.

1. thewiz69

thewiz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Toshiba XS34 and my father want to get a Sony HX710. I read the user's manual that I downloaded from the Sony website and found some features that sound quite limitating:
    1. Cannot record in 16:9 mode on DVD+R, +RW and +R DL
    2. When using the time shift function, there cannot be less than 1 minute difference between the recording and the live program. On the Toshiba, you can be only 10 seconds or less behind the live program.

I also noticed an interesting feature missing from the Sony: there is no PIP function that I find very useful on the Toshiba.

I might not have understood the manual correctly, so correct me if you have any experience with the Sony (510, 710 and 910 share the same manual).

2. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The points you make are correct, although the one about 16:9 is easily resolved by using dvd-r/rw, and the time-shift feature is hardly a show stopper as I'm not sure what the problem would be with being up to 60 seconds behind rather than 10.

I also have a Tosh and it has everything going for it over the Sony, with the one exception of quality. The Tosh offers the functions you mention along with the best presentation and flexibility of any machine available. However, the picture quality of the Sony is the best I've seen, and the Tosh suffers badly from quality drop when you go past 2.5 hour mode. I have several machines and can say that the Sony has the best quality, closely followed by Pioneer, Panasonic and JVC.

3. Voice of Fox

Voice of Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "1. Cannot record in 16:9 mode on DVD+R, +RW and +R DL"

This is a trait of the +R format. You can't record on any +R format in 16:9 mode as such - all this means is that the image is 4:3 but if you manually switch your TV to 16:9, it'll we be displayed in proper anamorphic widescreen. It just doesn't carry the switching signal to switch the TV for you.

You're better off using plain old DVD-R anyway. Much cheaper than DVD+R DL (per Gb) and will record in full 16:9 (oh, and it will then play on any DVD player).

I have the 510 and think it's a great machine. The only thing I dislike is if you add manual chapter points to a programme on the HDD, you lose them all when you burn it to DVD as it replaces with automatic ones (roughly 6 minutes apart). Daft!

4. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony doesn't have PiP (nice feature :smashin: ) but has TV/Video button on remote, which allows you to switch between recorded program and live TV.

As I know, Live Pause TV in Toshiba has one advantage over Sony: possibility of saving paused title on HDD (as I know). Sony loses it anyway. Instead, I simply press Record, and use Chasing Playback. If I decide to abandon title, I delete it.

Quality of rercordings is really very good.

ArtS :hiya:

5. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    "The only thing I dislike is if you add manual chapter points to a programme on the HDD, you lose them all when you burn it to DVD as it replaces with automatic ones (roughly 6 minutes apart). Daft! "
    Maybe if we all yell LOUD enough Sony will produce a S/W update - the HXD910 with digital tuner, HDMI, 250GB etc, seems to have it all, apart from this omission.

6. PeteTh

PeteTh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other 910 fault seems to be no Disc Library, i.e. it doesn't remember all the discs you have archived to.

Apparently you have to insert each Disc to see what is on it !

Unlike the the Pioneers which remember the contents of 99 Discs !

I really want to buy the 910 but the lack of chaptering and lack of Disc Library, make me think I'll wait for a newer Pioneer model, anyone know what the Pioneer 930H offers or maybe the new Philips DVD-R9000H with HDMI

7. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could just label your discs like normal people. :eek:

8. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14

The reason that I was put off this recorder was that I read a recent review that stated that when transferring anamorphic material to DVD+R or DVD+RW it is converted to letterbox and thus requires the image to be zoomed when watching back. Are you sure there is no loss of quality as my main interest was the ability to record dual layered and if it is just a matter of losing the switching signal I would have no hesitation in purchasing one.

9. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It definately converts to letterbox if you go over about 2.5 hours mode regardless of media type (and it sounds like for all modes if dubbing to a +r) - I guess when the screen resolution is halved. The flag is set on the HDD recorded image, so there's no way round it once you've record the programme as 16:9. I haven't tried a +r, but what I do with a -r if I want to use extended modes is to tell the recorder that the native resolution is 4:3 when recording to the HDD, regardless of whether it is 16:9 or not. Then, when it is dubbed to disc it remains as a 'squashed' 4:3 image rather than letterbox. I usually write to a -rw, copy it to a pc, reset the widescreen flag and burn a -r for keeping. I'm sure that with +r discs the same applies for all modes.

I must admit that I've never used DL media as there doesn't seem any point - 2 hour SP mode is pretty much perfect quality and that covers nearly all tv broadcasts.