Sony HX1000 - Media Compatibility

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pilgrim, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

My brother-in-law just bought a Sony RDR-HX1000 recorder. After looking at the manual for features he decided to buy some DVD-RW to record, but he couldn't.
    Regarding DVD-RW the manual indicates some limitations in terms of speed (2x or slower), but I believe this can be adjusted in the DVD-Recorder, right? Also there are some limitations in terms of versions (1.1 or 1.1 with CPRM, I think).
    For the DVD-R the limitations are 8x or slower and version 2.0.
    It is stated that it isn't possible to record on:
    DVD-RW 4x (Ver. 1.2/4x)
    DVD-RW (Ver. 1.0)

Questions:
    1-Has anyone faced similar problems with media compatibility?
    2-Are the +R/+RW more "friendly" than the -R/-RW?
    3-How can one check which version the -RW is?
    4-I looked in the website and found no firmware upgrade to fix this. Is this expected?

Thanks for the support.

Pilgrim

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    1. Yes, this is normal. Specifically with -RW, the version 1.1 (1-2X) discs don't seem to be compatible with older or newer ones. There isn't an issue with -R, any of the 4X or 8X discs you get today would all be compatible with version 2.0. (though the quality of media varies, and some may not work).

2. I don't know what compatibility issues +RW has.

3. It will say on the packaging in large letters if it is 2X, 8X, etc. In the fine print you should find the version info (e.g. 1.1).

4. I wouldn't expect one. My Toshiba XS32 has the same limitations on the -RW as your Sony... there is no firmware update to allow it to take 4X/Version 1.2 discs. Doesn't mean it isn't possible that one will come...

Mark