Sony hx-510 or panny eh-50?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nick270881, Jun 27, 2005.

1. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    does anybody have one of these?

really dont know which to go for, all the rest of my stuff is sony but read good things about the panny!

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although have added a DIVIDE function to the HDD,there's still no flexible recording,and the intelligent chaptering that reads appropriate places to add chapters(like fades and ads)on the HDD does not remain on a transfer to dvd,and neither do the thumbnails.
    According to the What Video review its also not possible to transfer anamorphic recordings to DVD+ unless its compromised to 4:3 L/B.Fat lot of good that is.And with Dual Layer recording on DVD+ only,its
    another Sony cock up.

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    If this is a cock-up, then more please. I love mine. Now use it instead of a Panny E85. Recording quality is excellent, and that has to be the key criterion.

Downsides yes - show me a machine which does not have them. Lack of VR is a pity. Yes chapters are lost when dubbing, but reapplied when finalising. DL capability was the decider for me, and 108 minutes at HQ and 168 minutes at the next quality level give recordings indistinguishable from the original broadcast.

Add to that reportedly the best performance playing back commercial DVDs for a machine at this price point, and the Sony is well worth considering. If it lacks features you really need then don't buy it, but to describe it as a cock-up is unfair.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    VR - sorry meant FR.

5. MiniRoll

MiniRoll
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had an EH50 and sent it back. I now have a 510 and I much prefer it.

I think my EH 50 had issues (although the company I returned it back to said it was fine. I did not like a few details like having to put it on timer standby for it to record - IMO that is just stupid. And when you are setting programs to the timer, you lose the sound of what you were watching on TV. A small detail, but one I found irritating (not even my 15 year old vidoe does this).

Overall, I love the 510!

6. dvdnoddy

dvdnoddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have downloaded the manuals for both of these as a friend is also considering one of these 2.

Panasonic EH50.

Can Record & Play RAM / -RW Video / -R / +R and also plays +RW & -RW VR Mode. Has the best quality 4 hr Recording Quality and can fit the film exactly to disc.

However it can't Play or Record to either DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL (Page 9 of the Manual). It can only record Widescreen images on HDD or RAM Disc's but not to +R / -R / -RW Video (also Page 9)

Sony HX510.

Can Record & Play -RW (Video & VR Modes)/ -R / +RW / +R / +R DL . It also appears to Play -R DL disc's as well (Page 10 of Manual 'This recorder recognises DVD-R Dual Layer discs as DVD Video compatible discs'). It can also record Widescreen to HDD, DVD-RW (Video & VR Modes) & -R.

However it can't Play RAM and has fixed recording quality times.

I suppose from the above you will have to decide which is more important Play/Record to RAM (Panasonic) OR Play/Record to +R DL and Play -R DL (Sony).

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Precisely - its always a trade off. There are a lot of pre-defined modes on the 510 so one of them will suit - but FR is a sad omission.

As to RAM discs - never really got into them. With a HD and the ability to do -R/RW, +R/RW and DL I can't really see the point of RAM as well. Except I suppose for all digital transfer to a PC

8. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    so the sony is a worthwile investment?

Its gonn be mainly used for playback of films but i want the ability to burn to dvd as an option!

9. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    What about the new Pioneer 433?
    To me it has many of the benefits of both Sony 510 (HQ+ recording mode and DVD-R dual layer recording) and the Panny EH50 (flexible record, full res recording longer than the Sony) plus it trumps both by having DVin (aka iLink/Firewire) which is useful if you have a camcorder and it can be used as a digital dukebox. It is available now from about £290. Have a look here for details:
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10726&taxonomy_id=45-133

10. dvdnoddy

dvdnoddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Previously Pioneer's picture quality wasn't as good as Sony / Panasonic but hopefully it will be improved for their latest machine.

The Jukebox sounds a good idea. However be warned the manual (page 82) states that you can only copy from CD's to HDD (which is done in real time!!) also no names are taken so you have to name tracks with the virtual keyboard. So you can't just quickly tranfer mp3's from a disc to the HDD (but I suppose no manufacturer would ever be able to offer that?)