Question Sony HW65 vs JVC X5000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DarkDogZA, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hi All

Looking to buy a PJ for my lounge. I have narrowed down my search to the HW65 or X5000. With my 4m throw range, both appear to give me an image size around 90something inches.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks.

2. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    I've sold my X5000 despite its excellent PQ and went back to a 55ES and am happier. I decided to go the 55 instead of the 65 as the 65 seems to have lots of quality issues. It depends on lots of factors. What will you be using it for mainly? Movies, games, TV? Need more info to give proper advice.

3. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hi,

It will be mostly mainly for movies with a bit of TV. Very little gaming interest.

4. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,811
    It'll be more than 90 inches - at 12ft lens to screen I get 110"

Also the Sony Hw55 which I previously owned is not even in the same game as the JVC 5000 same can be said with the 65. I'm very familiar with the higher end Sony's and recently set a 520 up for HDR - the JVC is closer to this model than anything else.

The Sony is a good entry level projector the JVC is a good mid level projector, it's really that simple.

5. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    JVC is better for that due it's superior PQ but the Sony has much better motion plus its much quieter so if it will be overhead the Sony has that advantage as well. Neither are perfect. Also at 4m they will both give 120".

6. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,811
    It is quieter but not enuff to make you notice one and not the other. I can see no disadvantages with motion on film at all with the JVC. The JVC picture quality is on a completely different level and frankly at the price point it should be. It also has much better HDCP handling and suffers less errors, the trade off being a little longer than the Sony to start up and switch sources.

7. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Can't say I noticed my JVC x700 being any noisier than my previous Sony 55 and to my eyes the Sony has worse motion imo. I agree with Ross, JVC is the way to go unless you are a gamer as I believe the JVC has much higher lag.

What do you think of the motion compared to your old Sony Ross?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,811
    It's a little bit noisier than the sony and with 4k-eshift on a tiny bit more again. High lamp mode on anything is like a harrier jump jet but I never had to use it on either luckily.

I don't notice anything wrong with the motion at all and with the JVC I did look for it. the JVC 5000 is very highly reviewed and having had both in my room, which is not a batcave I must say that the JVC is definitely better with everything picture wise - not only colour and blacks but fine / shadow detail - it's doesn't seem to suffer from as much mpeg blocking either and it certainly has better optics and lens control as well as a uniform focus - something the Sony 55 did not have.

The JVC also has much better convergence, but again the JVC is.. £1,500 more? It bloody well should be better.

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,011
    Motion perception can vary between individuals and in split screen with JVC X5000 and Sony 520 they looked much the same to me (I preferred the JVC at half the price). Others may see it differently but you need to demo and decide for yourself.

They're two different pjs at two different price points so you need to demo to decide which is better for you and your wallet. I personally would choose the JVC but that's just me and I've seen various pjs on demo to directly compare. If I had £6k I would buy the Epson LS10000.

If motion and image sharpness are your bag, then go for a DLP, assuming you don't see rainbows and aren't bothered about on/off contrast so much. :)

Gary

10. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Yeah agree for my eyes the Sony is way better so its personal, one thing is a biggie though the X5000 I had displayed severe motion artifacts (blue halo around moving objects) when motion enhance was on and even the JVC manual states "if with this feature on the image appears unnatural turn it off" this really put me off and went back to the Sony camp Otherwise you can beat the JVC for outright PQ unless you go with top of the line 4K Sony. Just FYI.

Also the JVC are much noisier that's a fact but it may not bother you. My current 55ES is quieter in high mode than the X5000 was in low.

Gary you really seem to like the LS10000 that is on my shopping list and am very tempted as that beast ticks all the right boxes and I reckon that is the best of both worlds (JVC and Sony) except not sure I want to miss out on HDR.

11. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,811
    Doesn't that apply with any added motion handling/features tho? Be it clear motion drive or any of the soap opera fx on all PJ's?

It would bother me, but to say the above is factually incorrect unless your JVC was broken It would have certainly came up in the review as being stupidly loud in low lamp mode. ironically motion enhance didn't appear to do anything in the review and altho I have it on low, I couldn't see it do anything either.

Personally I wouldn't go back to an HDMI 1.4 source, not if you ever plan to sell it on. The HDCP handling is much better with the JVC when used with an HDCP 2.2 AVR.

What source are you using?

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,011
    Hi Bandy,

I liked the Epson and even though it can't do HDR I'm not really bothered by that as it looks like to implement HDR you have to cripple the SDR range. It can do 98% of P3 I believe and that is more of a visual improvement than I saw with the JVC and Sony doing HDR.

I think done properly, HDR could almost look like 3D without the glasses according to those that have seen it on capable(ish) displays, but we're not there yet IMHO, especially with pjs.

I never noticed the blue halo on the JVC 5000s Ive seen, but I wonder if it was a poor convergence with blue? Or as Rock says, possibly a fault. Apart from the image looking a little noisy at times, (possibly because it's quite bright) I couldn't see much wrong with the 5000. I would see what it looked like with an ND filter if I was going to get one.

I've only seen the Sony 40 which I thought looked pretty good (an ideal stop gap pj IMHO if you can still pick it up for around £1100 on ebay) and on smaller screens up to 106" diag 6:9 would benefit from an ND2 or colour correction filter for better blacks (and increased CR with the CC filter).

Gary

13. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Thanks Gary yes agree on the HDR front however I was able to test it on my X5000 and it did look stunning I must say but I think we will need to wait for the next gen PJ for proper implementation. It will be far from proper 3D but yes it will be 3D ish. As for the halo on the JVC its not a fault unfortunately it was mentioned in some reviews as well, it appears if you turn on the second motion enhance feature and only in 1080 without e-shift. That Epson looks very tempting I am really torn between that or the 320ES with HDR.

14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,011
    I didn't like HDR on the 520 at all - it looked very dull and muted. That may be fixed with a firmware update though.

15. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,244
    It's all very well having a brief Demo of any display, it's when you have it in your own room for a week plus you can only really make judgement.

16. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    My Sony HW10 is said to be 22db in high lamp mode

Eh? In post 2 you said

I've sold my X5000 despite its excellent PQ and went back to a 55ES and am happier.

I'm confused, have you bought the 55ES?:)

17. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Thank you all for the comprehensive comments. I will be ordering the JVC this week.

18. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Yes HDR does look like that due to incorrect setup but when the settings are done properly its stunning truly.

19. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Correct and much happier overall despite the "downgrade in PQ, the JVC looked stunning but it annoyed the c..p out of me with it's other issues. It was a though decision. Only got the 55ES as an interim solution until I decide what else to get.

20. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Completely disagree on all counts sorry:) I walked into a store where they've had the 320ES and the X7000 side by side, I had a completely clueless colleague with me, I did not say a word about the projectors until we finished testing them, then I asked the guy what he thought he said they both looked stunning except the 2nd one (JVC) was noisier and the ball in the soccer match looked like a blur. His words exactly and he knew nothing about projectors at all. When I got the X5000 I was stunned by the PQ but something was bothering me big time and I did not know what it was for long until I figured out it was the motion (not the lag). For me its very simple JVC = headache and eye fatigue over long sessions and none of that with the Sony. This is proven over months of viewing both. I've done both camps and this is my honest feedback. ( I am very straight up person and tell everything as is) Unfortunately there are too many out there who will never ever admit the JVC have issues(I understand why as the JVC seduces them with its' PQ and its all too easy to try and justify and even overlook other issues) and quite a few of them use every opportunity to shovel dirt on the Sony I admit I felt the urge to do so myself a number of times. Yes they do have issues but overall now I know they are much better all-rounders and easier to live with (I've learned this the hard way too) stunning PQ on its own is not enough. For one I absolutely do not give a rats what brand the PJ is I look at it's strength and weaknesses and decide on what my eyes and brain tell me. Again the JVC is a truly excellent PQ wise and I understand for most that is all that matters but that's where it ends for me, for all else Epson LS10000 or the Sony range. If I had the space and the funds my ideal solution would be a two projector setup with the X9000 for occasional movie watching and Sony 4K for all else (including movies). The JVC is really like a stunning girlfriend you just drool over watching but you realize she can't do much else, the Sony is the prefect wife you can easily live with and everything is a breeze to do as opposed to being a pain in the backside and you pay for it's beauty, thats my impression overall between the two;) Or even better the Sony 5000ES for everything:)
    Again this is just my personal straight up honest experience based on facts and long term testing of both and probably one of the very few who sold a JVC this early in the game. Either way you will be very happy but need to compromise on certain things there is no perfect package.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  21. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Exactly Sir which is why I decided to go "backwards" finally.