Question Sony HW55ES vs JVC X35 vs Epson 9200 - Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oldbillgoggles, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there.
    I know that this is a debate as old as time but -
    my uncle, who is a film enthusiast, has asked me to help him set up a home cinema. I have been googling like crazy trying to find the best equipment to fit his requirements and budget. I am technically incompetent - so please don't blind me with science.
    The projector will be ceiling mounted approximately 4.5 meters from a painted wall screen. The wall is 3.5 meters wide and the viewing position will be 3.5 - 4 meters from the screen - not sure what the optimal screen size would be in this set up?
    I've whittled down the projector options to the three listed in the title but am open to alternatives.
    The budget is limited and I'm not playing with my own money - so I'm looking for a pre used model, that reliable and in good condition, with low hours on a branded original bulb - within a budget circa £700. I've been looking at sold examples on various sites and think the budget should be OK for what I'm looking for - do you think that's about right?

I was leaning towards the Sony - the only thing I'm concerned about there is the lens quality and uneven focus issues.
    The JVC looks like the most pop for money but I'm concerned it would not be bright enough.
    Epson looks like it's brightest but I've read about dust blob problems.
    Would anyone recommend a curve ball Panasonic AT6000?
    Can anyone put my mind to rest, so I can put a definitive wanted ad in the classified section?

I am looking for a 5.1 sound system too, so will be posting threads in the speakers and AVR forums for advice too. I have already (maybe rashly) bought a LCR set of M&K S85 speakers for the fronts and looking for advice on two rear speakers, subwoofer and AVR.
    Thanks for any advice you can offer,
    Tim

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,068
    If the room has good light control I would go with the X35 it has a better lens and has power zoom and focus with memory. The Sony would be second choice with the Epson last due to possible dust blob issues with LCD machines.

3. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the fast response kbfern. Nice to have a quick, concise answer.
    One more issue I forgot - I have read about noise issues from the JVC. The veiwing position will be close to right under the projector. Do you think the noise will be distracting?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,068
    What noise? I have an X35 and it is about 2-3ft from my head and it is virtually silent in eco mode, I have never used it in high lamp so don't know how that sounds.

5. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    The dust blob issue is heavily over played against Epson in my opinion. I’ve owned a number of lcd projectors in my time and dust blobs have rarely been an issue.
    That being said if noise is an issue then bear in mind the Epson gets louder if ceiling mounted and also has a distracting grinding noise if the iris is used.

As for the JVC it is a nice quiet projector and every bit as bright as the Epson when they are compared in their most accurate picture modes.

My experience of Sony SXRD projectors has unfortunately been less favourable, they are nice units but based on the ones I tried their long term performance isn’t very good. However maybe I was particularly unlucky in that regard.

In the end all three have the possibility of being great performers and it is as much about personal preference as opposed to which is best, as each have their pros and cons.

6. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi kbfern.
    I'm just going by what I've read. I have never seen any of the models mentioned working - so I can't comment with any authority.
    I would say that my friend, who picked up the S85 speakers, got a quick demo, together with a JVC X3 and he was very very impressed with the quality of the image and didn't mention any noise issues.
    It would be useful if you could tell me if eco mode would be adequate for a 4.5 meter throw distance, in a light controlled situation.
    All the best,
    Tim

7. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Paul.
    It would make life a lot easier if one stood out. Choice is a double edged sword.
    I was more concerned about lens and uneven focus issues with the Sony, so it's good to hear first hand experience. Can you tell me in what way the Sony's long term performance was disappointing?
    I'm starting to lean more towards the JVC now - just concerned a little about brightness - but less so now.
    All the best,
    Tim

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,068
    You should be ok with an X35 and eco mode at 4.5m throw as you are using a fairly small 92" screen so light should not be an issue you can also open up the iris a bit as the lamp dims to gain extra light output.

Mine has about 450hrs on the original bulb run in eco mode from new and I have not moved the iris yet and there is plenty of adjustment available.

9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,068
    Sorry just re read your post and don't know where I got the 92" from must have been another post I was reading from earlier.

I see now you are using a painted wall 3.5 mtrs wide, if you want to use the whole width of wall you may find the image a bit dimer but at 2.5-3m wide image it will be fine. My situation is a 2.5m wide 2.35 scope screen from a 3.5m lens throw in eco with min iris setting and plenty bright enough in a good light controlled room.

10. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    It was what seems to be referred to as SXRD panel degradation on the web, basically a big drop off in contrast, raised black level, poor gamma and reduced colour gamut.
    Have tried four SXRD projectors to date and they all suffered, my last try was with a VPL-VW95ES about a year or two ago and since then I've decided not to bother trying again.
    But as I say perhaps I was particularly unlucky.

On the other hand Epson and JVC basically always measure roughly as expected regardless of age, with no particularly unwelcome sub-par performance surprises, bar a little bit of usually correctable gamma droop.

11. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the very useful advice. Very much appreciated.

12. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to drag this back up - but does anyone have experience with the JVC x70? I haven't been able to find too much info on this model.

Would like to know how it compares with the X55, especially for 2d playback, as I don't think my uncle is a 3d fan.
    All the best, Tim

13. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to drag this old thread back up but it looks like my uncle has had a change of plan and is now intending to set up a sheltered back yard style cinema set up.
    I've attached a photo of the location.
    He says he intends to watch films after sunset but, as he has young grandchildren, I'm guessing this will need to be flexible. I think they may want to use it around dusk occasionally.
    I think we may be able to rig some black drape curtains to cut the light earlier in the evening but I'm guessing we need some flexibility with regard to ambient light.
    So - with that in mind what would be the best 1080p projector for use in ambient light?
    The space is 3 meters wide by 5 meters deep.
    The screen will be on the back wall - 2.5 - 3 meters wide.
    Would massively appreciate any advice.
    All the best,
    Tim

Attached Files:

14. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,068
    I would just get the brightest projector you can for the money, there are quite a few DLP or LCD projectors available new for around £500-600 that have 2000+ lumens. These pj's will be nothing like the JVC/Sony but with your new viewing requirements this will not matter.

15. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the tip.
    Following your recommendations I have a set of S85 lcr speakers and a pair of K4 rear speakers and I will be running them off a Denon avr 4311. I'm still looking for a sub.

I very much appreciate all your good advice.
    All the best, Tim

16. Luminated67

Luminated67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
  17. Oldbillgoggles

Oldbillgoggles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that but I think that is a VW60 - a 2007 model which would be less bright than any of the above projectors.
    I'm looking for something more recent and brighter.
    All the best Tim