Sony hw50 demo??

squarefish

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can demo a Sony hw50?

I live in Cambridge and managed to see a jvc x30 at Sevenoaks and was blown away by the image, but having read all the reviews it is the Sony I really have my heart set on.
Closer to Cambridge would be better, but I can't find anywhere?

Thanks

Richard

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I am sorry to say but there are not that many pj dealers in your neck of the woods and even less that have the Sony, you will have to travel a fair distance to get a demo unless there is a kind HW50 owner not too far away who will demo you theirs.

All the places that I can think of are far far away, maybe you travel around a bit so see below for dealers who I know stock and demo the HW50.

Ideala/v Yorks
Kalibrate Surrey
Roy Jowett Lancashire
Kent Home Cinema
Home Cinema Centre Edinburgh
Projector point London

Good luck with your search, both the JVC & Sony are really good pj's, the X30 is now discontinued so the price should be around £1800 which is quite a bit cheaper than the Sony though so that may influence your decision.

Cheers

Keith

squarefish

I would probably have taken the plunge already with an HW50 but I read a review that said the fan whined whereas the x30 I demoed was a quiet as a mouse!

I might post on the owners thread to see if any others have noticed the fan noise.

Thanks again Keith

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
I would probably have taken the plunge already with an HW50 but I read a review that said the fan whined whereas the x30 I demoed was a quiet as a mouse!

I might post on the owners thread to see if any others have noticed the fan noise.

I have found quite the opposite

The Sony is whisper quiet and I mean more or less silent, whereas the new JVC's aren't, not that they are noisy but certainly no way near as quiet as the Sony

Allan :smashin:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
The new JVCs (X35/55/75/95) fan is quiet in low lamp mode, but in high lamp (which is the default for 3D though it can be changed) it is much louder than the older models. I ran my HD350 in high lamp and could barely hear it from my seat, but the X35 is quite audible in high lamp from my seat. Thankfully it's kept it's initial brightness even at 200 hours now, so I don't need high lamp or even to open the iris much.

mooro1973

Hw50 very quiet indeed. Even in high lamp mode.

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

Thanks again Keith

I wonder if the whine you are mentioning actually relates to the internal 3D emitter. As the others have said, the Sony is whisper quiet even in high mode. Infact I would go as far as saying the Sony in high mode is fairly close to the JVC in low mode. In high mode the JVC (and Epson) are notably louder. Fan noise is one of the pros for the Sony;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom