Sony HW40ES manual lens shift stuck

Autophase

Hi,
After 5 and half perfect years with my HW40es I've encountered my first issue.
I moved house recently so I had to set up in a new room, while moving the vertical lens shift wheel i think i've gone too far and now the lens is stuck in it's lowest position, moving the wheel in either direction has no effect. I have tried applying gentle pressure to "free" the lens while moving the shift wheel but still no effect.
The horizontal shift still moves left to right but in what seems like a very limited range.

i've spoken to a Sony repair centre and they say parts are hard to come by for that projector so it's not even a dead cert that they can fix it. The projector is out of warranty, I'm pretty good with electronics (although this feels like it will be a mechanical thing as its a manual adjustment), but before I get the screwdriver out and attempt the fix my self;
has anyone encountered this issue before?
can it be remedyed externally?
If not, has anyone been inside one of these and has any pointers of where to look?

Cheers in advance.

DreamerD

Hi Autophase,

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

The exact same thing happened to my HW45es the third say after buying the projector used. The problem started after ceiling mounting it. There is no warranty left, so I am on my own! :/

I already regret this purchase...

/J

Ashketchup

Hi,
After 5 and half perfect years with my HW40es I've encountered my first issue.
I moved house recently so I had to set up in a new room, while moving the vertical lens shift wheel i think i've gone too far and now the lens is stuck in it's lowest position, moving the wheel in either direction has no effect. I have tried applying gentle pressure to "free" the lens while moving the shift wheel but still no effect.
The horizontal shift still moves left to right but in what seems like a very limited range.

i've spoken to a Sony repair centre and they say parts are hard to come by for that projector so it's not even a dead cert that they can fix it. The projector is out of warranty, I'm pretty good with electronics (although this feels like it will be a mechanical thing as its a manual adjustment), but before I get the screwdriver out and attempt the fix my self;
has anyone encountered this issue before?
can it be remedyed externally?
If not, has anyone been inside one of these and has any pointers of where to look?

Cheers in advance.
Hi Autophase,

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

The exact same thing happened to my HW45es the third say after buying the projector used. The problem started after ceiling mounting it. There is no warranty left, so I am on my own! :/

I already regret this purchase...

/J
Same issue here with my HW40ES. Did either of you manage to fix it?

DB9S

It will definitely be mechanical, my guess is the vertical shift gear has come adrift or cleared the worm gear/other gear it is supposed to mesh with.
If you are lucky no teeth will be worn off or broken.

Disassembly and careful re-engagement with the worm gear should sort it out.

Last edited:

Autophase

Hi sorry for late reply.
In the end I managed to get the projector positioned in the new house so the restricted lens shift wasn't too much of an issue. I upgraded last week to aVW590ES.
I tried a few places to repair the HW40 and they just couldn't get the parts as its an obsolete model.
It's interesting you mention this happened after ceiling mounting it, I had it shelf mounted for the first 3 years and had no problems, then had it ceiling mounted for 2 and half years before moving, it was only after the ceiling mount that the problem occured.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom