Sony HVR-V1P - what setting for charpness control?

Rogermarksmen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having over the months filmed using both 1080i and 1080p in various settings, I am still unsure whether there is any real advantage in using progressive rather than interlaced, with my Sony HVR-V1P camcorder. progressive scan gives the slightly "jerky" look to moving objects at close range, but both give excellent HD image resolution :thumbsup: Reviews have recommended setting sharpness (factory set at 7, halfway) at about 3, to avoid any horizontal "jitter":( on fine lines. However, I have found little if any such jitter set at 8, when in 1080i mode, though a little when set at 1080p. Is this "jitter" inevitable on this model, perhaps removed in editing suites? Is there an "ideal" sharpness setting anyway? :confused: I am of course a keen amateur!

Having over the months filmed using both 1080i and 1080p in various settings, I am still unsure whether there is any real advantage in using progressive rather than interlaced, with my Sony HVR-V1P camcorder. progressive scan gives the slightly "jerky" look to moving objects at close range, but both give excellent HD image resolution :thumbsup: Reviews have recommended setting sharpness (factory set at 7, halfway) at about 3, to avoid any horizontal "jitter":( on fine lines. However, I have found little if any such jitter set at 8, when in 1080i mode, though a little when set at 1080p. Is this "jitter" inevitable on this model, perhaps removed in editing suites? Is there an "ideal" sharpness setting anyway? :confused: I am of course a keen amateur!

with a fx-7 i owned i found number 7 about right, the fx-7 and v1 are virtualy the same exept the fxs lack of progressive and standard stereo,as far as i know the v-1s progressive recording was never that good,but even using my current canon HV30 i only use P mode when filming and let the things being filmed do the moving and never pan in P mode, used like this i dont get jitter but the V-1s was a different type of progressive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom