Sony HVL-F60M Flash Overheat Issue

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Was just reading through this thread,

HVL-F60M Flash Overheating = Unusable - Sony's Community Site

Their top of the line flash by all accounts is unsuitable for professional use, it overheats pretty quickly under continuous usage.

I'm just so surprised to have learned this.. in all my time of using the 600XT-RT I've never had them overheat.

I'm a bit lost as what to do now .. I was hoping to marry the RX1R up with some wireless TTL flashes.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Just fly out to Japan or Taiwan to get the v1.1 update :laugh:

Dancook

Distinguished Member
They did announce a F32M which is made for mirrorless, smaller, lighter - I might see how that reviews

twist

Distinguished Member
Like I said, 56AMs if you want power. No point in even considering the 32s if you want something powerful it only has a GN of 32.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Like I said, 56AMs if you want power. No point in even considering the 32s if you want something powerful it only has a GN of 32.

I see an issue with shooting "wirelessly" using Sony flashes. So far it seems like if you use a flash on the camera as a controller you cannot use it as a fill to complement your wireless key flash.

Do you know anything about that?

twist

Distinguished Member
I see an issue with shooting "wirelessly" using Sony flashes. So far it seems like if you use a flash on the camera as a controller you cannot use it as a fill to complement your wireless key flash.

Nope, my Sony days are long gone. Do you mean the built in flash or a larger flash via hotshoe?

snerkler

Distinguished Member

Are you talking the pop up or another external flash mounted on the camera? Using the pop up as a controller I find that it does give out a little fill light, which at times I find very irritating if I'm just wanting a single light source :rolleyes:

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Nope, my Sony days are long gone. Do you mean the built in flash or a larger flash via hotshoe?

The built in flash on an RX1R will not wirelessly trigger an off-camera flash, so people recommend using an F20M to trigger than F60M.

I have a strong feeling that the F20M will only act to trigger the F60M and not contribute controllable light to the subject.

What happens with other combos of their line up, I don't know.. but it's a real headache :D

snerkler

Distinguished Member
I think 32 will be too little. I used my F42 for a marathon the other day and was disappointed at the reach of the flash, so I'd be very disappointed at 32 I'd imagine. Then again, knowing me I'm probably expecting far too much from the equipment ;)

twist

Distinguished Member
The built in flash on an RX1R will not wirelessly trigger an off-camera flash, so people recommend using an F20M to trigger than F60M.

I have a strong feeling that the F20M will only act to trigger the F60M and not contribute controllable light to the subject.

What happens with other combos of their line up, I don't know.. but it's a real headache :D

May as well just use a wireless trigger if thats the case instead of another flash on the hotshoe. You bought back into Sony :p

snerkler

Distinguished Member

That's strange, I wonder why the pop up won't act as a trigger on the RX1? I've always understood it that you can have the master on top of the camera operating slaves placed elsewhere, I'm going to have to check mine now :confused:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
May as well just use a wireless trigger if thats the case instead of another flash on the hotshoe. You bought back into Sony :p
I can't believe you're suggesting Sony are a bit backwards when it comes to cameras :laugh:

Dancook

Distinguished Member
That's strange, I wonder why the pop up won't act as a trigger on the RX1? I've always understood it that you can have the master on top of the camera operating slaves placed elsewhere, I'm going to have to check mine now :confused:

Because Sony said so :)

Dancook

Distinguished Member
The one shame is the PHOTTIX STRATO™ II MULTI will not sync above 1/250 :(

also notes

"The Sony HVL-F42AM Flash will work on the Strato Transmitter but not on the Strato Receiver as the HVL-F42AM has no Manual Mode only TTL mode."

twist

Distinguished Member
The one shame is the PHOTTIX STRATO™ II MULTI will not sync above 1/250 :(

also notes

"The Sony HVL-F42AM Flash will work on the Strato Transmitter but not on the Strato Receiver as the HVL-F42AM has no Manual Mode only TTL mode."

Doesn't the RX1R have built in wireless flash? Im pretty sure it triggers all newer Sony flashes.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Doesn't the RX1R have built in wireless flash? Im pretty sure it triggers all newer Sony flashes.

it has a built in wireless flash function :D but that only allows you to add a flash to the top and use that - you cannot use the built-in flash to trigger wirelessly.

twist

Distinguished Member
it has a built in wireless flash function :D but that only allows you to add a flash to the top and use that - you cannot use the built-in flash to trigger wirelessly.

PocketWizard III will do 1/500, seems its compatible with Sony MIL.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow