Sony HTSS1200 or HTSS1300?

Wightknight

Standard Member
I have been (im)patiently waiting for the release of the new HTSS1300 and went into my nearest Sony Centre to ask if they knew when stock would arrive. They could not give me a date, but encouraged me to look at the HTSS1200. I said that I was put off because it didn't have Bravia Theatre Synch, but the salesman told me that it was only one button that would automatically switch the TV to the correct HDMI input for the receiver. How important was that to me?

I am looking for:
  • a system that will neatly integrate with a Sony Bravia TV
  • provide HD audio when playing Blu-ray discs on my PS3
  • Have at least one other HDMI port free for my Sky HD box
The HTSS1200 is available now and only costs £250 (less if you shop around).

Can anyone give me a good reason for waiting for the HTSS1300 or should I get the '1200 now?

Aleem

I've just ordered the HTSF1300 from multizoneav, who say they have physical stock, for £350 (they list it on their website for £399). I searched for a HTSF1200, and if I'd have found one in stock I'd have bought it for £250 to £270.

Welsh Whirlwind

I have been (im)patiently waiting for the release of the new HTSS1300 and went into my nearest Sony Centre to ask if they knew when stock would arrive. They could not give me a date, but encouraged me to look at the HTSS1200. I said that I was put off because it didn't have Bravia Theatre Synch, but the salesman told me that it was only one button that would automatically switch the TV to the correct HDMI input for the receiver. How important was that to me?

I am looking for:
  • a system that will neatly integrate with a Sony Bravia TV
  • provide HD audio when playing Blu-ray discs on my PS3
  • Have at least one other HDMI port free for my Sky HD box
The HTSS1200 is available now and only costs £250 (less if you shop around).

Can anyone give me a good reason for waiting for the HTSS1300 or should I get the '1200 now?
Right, first of all I have a 1200 and it does have bravia theatre sync, it's the 1100 that does not.

The only differences between the two machine are these:

The 1300 has two extra music 'soundfields' 6 as opposed to 4.
It has different asthetics.
And finally the (utterly pointless) X.V. colour support, see post 340 HERE for the reasons why. So ultimately go for what you can get your hands on. Oh, and by the way you can get the 1200 delivered for £229 from HERE :thumbsup:

Wightknight

Standard Member
Many thanks Welsh Whirlwind

That is exactly the kind of advice I needed. My mind is made up!

Thanks also for the links.

C

cpjames

Hi All/Welsh Whirlwind,

Really like the look of the HTSS1200. Does anyone know if this unit will take a stereo (phono) input and create an output (double stereo) including the rear surround speakers?

Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Ps. what is the wattage of this system?

Welsh Whirlwind

Hi All/Welsh Whirlwind,

Really like the look of the HTSS1200. Does anyone know if this unit will take a stereo (phono) input and create an output (double stereo) including the rear surround speakers?

Cheers,

Chris

Ps. what is the wattage of this system?
Yes it will, see page one of this review (at the end of the first post) for a rear picture of the amp displaying all connectivity options:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688495
It has 3 phono input, 4 HDMI (3in 1out), 2 optical, 1 'digital media' (sony's own peripheral connector) and 1 digital coax-in.

'1000w' RMS

C

cpjames

Thanks for the quick reply Welsh Whirwind, much appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions but I am really interested in this unit but want to make sure that it has all the connectivity I need :) (I am also a bit of a newbie to Home theatre so apologies for the stupid questions)

I currently have a streamium SLM5500 which streams content from my media server

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...NSUMER/Wireless-Multimedia-Adapter SLM5500-05

it has a digital audio out which i would want to feed into the unit. Is the output from this unit compatible with the digital audio input on the HTSS1200?

Many Thanks.

Chris

Welsh Whirlwind

Thanks for the quick reply Welsh Whirwind, much appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions but I am really interested in this unit but want to make sure that it has all the connectivity I need :) (I am also a bit of a newbie to Home theatre so apologies for the stupid questions)

I currently have a streamium SLM5500 which streams content from my media server

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...NSUMER/Wireless-Multimedia-Adapter SLM5500-05

it has a digital audio out which i would want to feed into the unit. Is the output from this unit compatible with the digital audio input on the HTSS1200?

Many Thanks.

Chris
Yes, the digital coaxial out would connect to the 1200's dig-coax input (the orange plug in the picture)

C

cpjames

Thanks for the answers, you deserve to get commission from sony, am just about to go to the site you suggested and order :)

Welsh Whirlwind

Thanks for the answers, you deserve to get commission from sony, am just about to go to the site you suggested and order :)
Worth browsing through the 1200 thread linked to on this page (post 3) from start to finish whilst your waiting - Lots of useful setup information, and common questions answered. :thumbsup:

C

cpjames

My current system (Pioneer DV353) has a built in DVD player and is an all in one home theatre system (however as with all all in ones it has limited connectivity hence the change). So I will need a dvd player.. any suggestions for this? If possible I dont want to spend an arm and a leg as my next purchase (finance allowing) will be a ps3. However in the meantime I will need one :)

defintiely going to have a good browse .. thanks for all your help it has been invaluable :)

Thanks,

Chris

stefanr

My current system (Pioneer DV353) has a built in DVD player and is an all in one home theatre system (however as with all all in ones it has limited connectivity hence the change). So I will need a dvd player.. any suggestions for this? If possible I dont want to spend an arm and a leg as my next purchase (finance allowing) will be a ps3. However in the meantime I will need one :)

defintiely going to have a good browse .. thanks for all your help it has been invaluable :)

Thanks,

Chris
This Sony, upscaler and multi-region

or

this Sammy again same as the sony

Welsh Whirlwind

My current system has a built in DVD player and is an all in one home theatre system (however as with all all in ones it has limited connectivity hence the change). So I will need a dvd player.. any suggestions for this? If possible I dont want to spend an arm and a leg as my next purchase (finance allowing) will be a ps3. However in the meantime I will need one :)

Thanks,

Chris
Have a look at the DVD Recorders forum for more extensive advice.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113

But, my advice (without a shadow of a doubt) would be to grab a Sony RDRHX870 DVD 160gb HDD widely considered to be one of the best sytems on the market at the moment alongside the Panasonic DMREX77B. I have one and it's an absolute joy to use, not a single bad word to say about it, plus it can be had for as little as £170ish pound atm, which is incredibly cheap for what this machine offers.
The new range of these 2 models have recently come out aswell, which no doubt will have a few extra perks, but you'd need to ask the forums to find out what they are.
Again if you look at page one of the 1200's review (linked to on post 3) you will also find links to an independant 870 review, plus region unlock links etc, etc.

stefanr

Have a look at the DVD Recorders forum for more extensive advice.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113

But, my advice (without a shadow of a doubt) would be to grab a Sony RDRHX870 DVD 160gb HDD widely considered to be one of the best sytems on the market at the moment alongside the Panasonic DMREX77B. I have one and it's an absolute joy to use, not a single bad word to say about it, plus it can be had for as little as £170ish pound atm, which is incredibly cheap for what this machine offers.
The new range of these 2 models have recently come out aswell, which no doubt will have a few extra perks, but you'd need to ask the forums to find out what they are.
Again if you look at page one of the 1200's review (linked to on post 3) you will also find links to an independant 870 review, plus region unlock links etc, etc.
Think he meant player not recorder. ;)

stefanr

C

cpjames

Ordered :)... went for the sony dvd player (for now) definitely take your advice on the recorder however that will have to wait for a while.. 60 odd quid for the DVD player means that when i do go for it the sony can go into one of the bedrooms :)

Again thanks for all the advice .. looking forward to some blistering surround :)

Chris

C

cpjames

Ok chaps, received it yesterday and late last night after wife had gone to bed (to avoid heaps of "Im trying to watch the TV type statements") I put everything together (taking your advice on not forgetting the little sticky pads WW)

Obviously as it was late I havent been able to do a proper sound check yet and I was an HDMI lead short (Superfi missed it off)

I have connected the supplied Digital Audio (coax) lead to my streamium and into the orange input on the HTSS1200, but how do I select it as a source? I have tried the obvious (pressing all the input buttons to see if i get some sound :)) but I cant see which I need to use this input?

Cheers,

Chris

Jay D

Novice Member
Hi I agree re all that x&v colour stuff and that ultimatly pushed me from the 1300 to the 1200 I now have. So thanks. I wasn't a member of the forum at the time hence the comment now.

Ok chaps, received it yesterday and late last night after wife had gone to bed (to avoid heaps of "Im trying to watch the TV type statements") I put everything together (taking your advice on not forgetting the little sticky pads WW)

Obviously as it was late I havent been able to do a proper sound check yet and I was an HDMI lead short (Superfi missed it off)

I have connected the supplied Digital Audio (coax) lead to my streamium and into the orange input on the HTSS1200, but how do I select it as a source? I have tried the obvious (pressing all the input buttons to see if i get some sound :)) but I cant see which I need to use this input?

Cheers,

Chris
I think the DVD button should get your sound.