Sony HTSS1100, Sony HTDDW890 or Yamaha AV-4101? Help please

waffley

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder could you help me?
I am a complete novice when it comes to audio systems. However having just purchased a 37" Panasonic LCD, and built a HTPC (well my husband did not me!), we are now looking to purchase a new surround system to replace a seven year old Panasonic one.
We don't need a DVD player, and can't afford to get seperates, so looking around and reading through the threads on this forum, it seems as though on paper, that the Yamaha AV-4101 is a very good set up. Two things that worry me about this though, is the poor feedback that seems to plague Pixmania (although it does seem to have got better over the years), and the lack of support for this European set up by Yamaha UK. Should I be worried?
The Sony's seem to be less highly speced eg 1080i as opposed to the 1080p of the Yamaha, the amp of the HTDDW890 being analogue not digital, and overall less inputs/outputs.
Can anyone who has any of the 3 give me some feedback on how they perform, and if anyone has bought the Yamaha from Pixmania how have you found the service, have you had any problems, and were they resolved easily and quickly.
I should also add that as well as using the system for home cinema, it will also be used to play CD's ranging from Classical, through Pop, to Heavy Metal.
Any help gratefully received.
Many thanks and Happy New Year!

forget the Sony not being an S class amp,it wont make any difference on the sound,to you.
the yamaha isnt digital either.

The Sony's seem to be less highly speced eg 1080i as opposed to the 1080p of the Yamaha, the amp of the HTDDW890 being analogue not digital, and overall less inputs/outputs.

I thought the 890 was a passthrough and didn't limit the HDMI signal !!!!!!!! (1080i)

forget the Sony not being an S class amp,it wont make any difference on the sound,to you.
the yamaha isnt digital either.

Thanks for that RottenFox. Could you tell me what an S class amp is please? I am assumimg it is a digital amp.
So do you have any opinions on which is the better for our purposes? Like I said, we really are novices so any advice would be helpful, but I may need very simple explanations too!
Thank you

I thought the 890 was a passthrough and didn't limit the HDMI signal !!!!!!!! (1080i)

I am just quoting from the Sony site where it says:

"HDMI Quality Input Signal (Up to) 1080i

HDMI Quality Output Signal (Up to) 1080i"

Like I say I am a novice in all things audio, so I am looking for guidance and advice
Thank you

Thanks for that RottenFox. Could you tell me what an S class amp is please? I am assumimg it is a digital amp.
So do you have any opinions on which is the better for our purposes? Like I said, we really are novices so any advice would be helpful, but I may need very simple explanations too!
Thank you

S class,is Sony's digital amps.
how much is the budget.?
i would forget about the 1100,and out of the other two,its six of one,and half a dozen of the other,to be honest.

S class,is Sony's digital amps.
how much is the budget.?
i would forget about the 1100,and out of the other two,its six of one,and half a dozen of the other,to be honest.

Budget is really about £250, but if the Yamaha 4101 is good we would be willing to go to the £274 in Pixmania. Is there any particular reason you would put the 1100 out of the running?
Also do you know the dimensions of the amp with the 890 (I want to make sure Pixmania have it right!) and also which Sony amp is it?
But I have now seen they do a Yamaha 3101 but with no HDMI - is HDMI worth having?
Many thanks

on lower end amps,like these,hdmi is handy if you dont have a lot of inputs on the tv,etc.
it doesnt pass audio,as its a switch,but you can use the optical inputs/coax inputs for audio.
as for the amp with the sony,its a STRK890,im sure.
ive got the STRK880,specs are very similar,except 1 component connection more on the 890,removal of multichannel,and thats about it.
size of the 890,is pretty much what pixmania say:Amp: 430mm x 157.5mm x 310mm
the 3101 is just the 4101 without hdmi,and a different set of speakers.
power output is the same,its just the speakers are different.

Thank you for the HDMI explanation. We have 2 on our TV, and will be using the newly built HTPC, and possibly our old DVD recorder and freeview box.
This is all very confusing - we are really unsure what to go for especially as it is not possible to hear either the 890, the 4101 or the 3101.
The only one we can find locally is the 1100. We noticed that the amp is a lot slimmer so from that assume there will be less flexibility. I am guessing as you said it wasn't a contender, that sound quality is not on a par with the 890 and 4101?
I really do appreciate all the time you are taking to help
Thank you

Budget is really about £250, but if the Yamaha 4101 is good we would be willing to go to the £274 in Pixmania. Is there any particular reason you would put the 1100 out of the running?
Also do you know the dimensions of the amp with the 890 (I want to make sure Pixmania have it right!) and also which Sony amp is it?
But I have now seen they do a Yamaha 3101 but with no HDMI - is HDMI worth having?
Many thanks

Have a look here, ok no HMDI but its only a pass through on low end stuff anyway and if your new TV has 2/3 HMDI ports it dont matter

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3396

Have a look here, ok no HMDI but its only a pass through on low end stuff anyway and if your new TV has 2/3 HMDI ports it dont matter

Oh gosh - another one into the mix!! Or is it the same as the 3101 but in silver?
Or possibly slightly different as it is the UK version and not the European version?
Aesthetically I would rather have black (being a fussy woman!), but sound has to come first.
So Lorrich, do you have this system and if so is it good
Thank you

Oh gosh - another one into the mix!! Or is it the same as the 3101 but in silver?
Or possibly slightly different as it is the UK version and not the European version?
Aesthetically I would rather have black (being a fussy woman!), but sound has to come first.
Thank you

No, i dont have this system, was just trying to throw in another option, anyways i think the Sony would suit your needs anyway

No, i dont have this system, was just trying to throw in another option, anyways i think the Sony would suit your needs anyway
Did you mean the Sony HTDDW890?
Thank you

Thank you

Yes,thats exactly the same as the Yamaha 3101 but in silver.
pixmania sell that one too.

Yes,thats exactly the same as the Yamaha 3101 but in silver.
pixmania sell that one too.

Well at least I've learned something, but we are no closer to a decision. I just wish we could listen to them.
Best wishes

Well at least I've learned something, but we are no closer to a decision. I just wish we could listen to them.
Best wishes

Your best bet is to spend sometime listening to set-ups, Sony Centre is a good start because they are mostly rigged up so you can play around, also go to a couple of decent hifi shops, thats what i do, when ive made my choice i make a note of the model number then order online for a good price. Whatever you do dont buy anything before you have viewed it in the flesh and are happy with the sound and looks then you will know its suitable for you room

Avoid currys comet, their SA's are trained to sell warranties not goods

ive been looking into buying one of the 2 sony systems listed, i think im going to go for the htss1100 only because i dont really like the colour of the speakers of the 890, it has to match they hey?

just hope im making the right decision lol

Your best bet is to spend sometime listening to set-ups, Sony Centre is a good start because they are mostly rigged up so you can play around, also go to a couple of decent hifi shops, thats what i do, when ive made my choice i make a note of the model number then order online for a good price. Whatever you do dont buy anything before you have viewed it in the flesh and are happy with the sound and looks then you will know its suitable for you room

Avoid currys comet, their SA's are trained to sell warranties not goods

Thank you for the suggestions, but the nearest Sony Centre doesn't have the HTDDW890, and we have no purely hifi type shops locally so that we can listen to systems we are interested in.
I suppose that was why I was hoping to get feedback from anyone who owned the systems we were interested in.

Happy New Year

i have the w890, amazing speakers i was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. but i went for the sony, very good amp loads of settinsg speakers are very good cant complain!

i have the w890, amazing speakers i was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. but i went for the sony, very good amp loads of settinsg speakers are very good cant complain!

Thank you very much for the reply - much appreciated. However we decided in the end to go for the Yamaha 4101. I just hope we've made the right decision!! Waiting for it all to be despatched at the moment!
Thanks again

(and a similar quote from RottenFox).

That explains the HDMI saga on these set ups then - more of a 'patch bay' than a high end Video/Audio option...that changes my option slightly then.
I'd also been looking at the HTSS1100 and HTDDW890 but seeing as the HTSS1100 has been knocked back here (it is pretty weedy looking in comparison to the others) and my budget won't budge over the £200 mark then it's now a two horser between the HTDDW890 and the Yamaha AV61.
Can't help thinking what I'd need that sixth speaker for though?!?

Waffley - pleased with your eventual decision?

Cheers.

(and a similar quote from RottenFox).

That explains the HDMI saga on these set ups then - more of a 'patch bay' than a high end Video/Audio option...that changes my option slightly then.
I'd also been looking at the HTSS1100 and HTDDW890 but seeing as the HTSS1100 has been knocked back here (it is pretty weedy looking in comparison to the others) and my budget won't budge over the £200 mark then it's now a two horser between the HTDDW890 and the Yamaha AV61.
Can't help thinking what I'd need that sixth speaker for though?!?

Waffley - pleased with your eventual decision?

Cheers.
Well I hope we will be when it arrives!! I will let you know! Although sound is the most important feature the Yamaha 4101 had the advantage of being black which fits in with our other kit!
Good luck with your decision!

Well I hope we will be when it arrives!! I will let you know! Although sound is the most important feature the Yamaha 4101 had the advantage of being black which fits in with our other kit!
Good luck with your decision!

Of course!! You've only just ordered it (wasn't paying attention to the post dates!).
Ok...I hope when it arrives you're more than pleased with your original decision and subsequent acquisition :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom