SONY HTSS1100 or HTSF1100?

you wont be able to use/hear any of the new audio formats..just plain old dolby digital,and DTS.

OK, thank you

Are the new audio formats down converted to dolby digital/DTS, or will sound only come through when i am playing standard dvd that only have a dolby digital or dts track?

OK, thank you

Are the new audio formats down converted to dolby digital/DTS, or will sound only come through when i am playing standard dvd that only have a dolby digital or dts track?

what are the new formats? is pro logic 2 new format?

OK, thank you

no,there are no discs,that contain the newer formats alone.
so all you will get are the bog standard dolby,and DTS soundtracks,and if you pick one of the new ones,like truHD,all you will get is silence.
you need to be able to feed audio from hdmi,and have either the player do the work,or the amp,and in this case,no amp is capable of accepting an HD audio format,through optical.

so all you will get are the bog standard dolby,and DTS soundtracks,and if you pick one of the new ones,like truHD,all you will get is silence.
you need to be able to feed audio from hdmi,and have either the player do the work,or the amp,and in this case,no amp is capable of accepting an HD audio format,through optical.

Thanks again

I have only 1 HD disc at the moment to try my new player, and under the heading audio on the back of the box all its says is "AUDIO: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish Dolby Digital Plus"

I was confusd as it only has the one format listed on the back and doesn't say anything about DD/DTS tracks

Andrew

I have just purchsed a Sony HTSS1100 and have connected it to a Sony Bravia HD TV and a Sony HDMI DVD player. Using HDMI cables for both.
Can anyone tell me how to get the TV sound to come through the surround speakers. It says something about digital audio jacks? What are they? Do I have to buy them? Where do they go? Also the orange coloured jacks, I have plugged these in from my DVD player to the Theatre system but nothing happens.

Rob

you wont be able to use/hear any of the new audio formats..just plain old dolby digital,and DTS.

I also have a Toshiba HD DVD player. I have just ordered the HT-SF1100. I am disappointed that I will not be able to hear any of the new audio formats through the tosh. Will "plain old dolby digital and DTS" be a disappointment?

What devices can I connect to experience the "new audio formats"?

This looks like just want i want to go with my 32" bravia. im guessing its all wired which is fine and how many optical/cox does it have?As the sony website is confusing.

Inputs: Two optical, one coax, three stereo phono

There is a slight gothca with this system. The optical and coax inputs are matched to inputs on the system.

1 optical to the Sat input.
1 optical and hdmi to vid2
1 coax and hdmi to dvd.

So if you have 2 devices with hdmi and optical outputs, you need a coax to optical converter.

Got this unit connected to my DVD player via coax (upgraded from the one supplied), but am shortly replacing the DVD with a PS3 (which has no coaxial output but an optical instead).

My question is, of the two connection methods suggested in the manual, which (if any) produces the best all round performance?:

1. HDTV-PS3 via HDMI/ PS3-SONY AMP via Optical

OR

2. PS3- Sony amp via HDMI and optical/ AMP - HDTV via HDMI

The latter seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle to me, but does it yield any advantages over method 1?

Also, do optical cables vary much in quality and do you get one with the PS3?

if you have multiple hdmi inputs on your tv,then option 1 is fine.
if you are limited to 1 hdmi in,on the tv,then option 2,will let you basically connect multiple hdmi's to the surround system,and have 1 out to the tv.
neither option,is any better than the other,apart from your availability of hdmi's on the tv,is what would be the cruch.

any half decent optical cable will do fine,and i highly doubt most people could tell the difference,between a £3 cable,and a £30 one.

and no,you dont get an optical cable with the ps3,no hdmi or scart cable either.
the only cables that are included are the power lead,and a set of phonos,for audio and video.

Not sure this is correct, if you select for example DTS HD on a Fox Blu-ray (which is the only audio option) you will get the 1.5mbps core track, which is still very high quality and better than regular Dolby Digital.

If a movie has a TrueHD track it will always have a regular DD option as well.

Found this elsewere:-

'The BD spec requires inclusion of a legacy codec audio stream on every disc. Therefore, if you want to include only Dolby TrueHD, you have to also carry an additional DD track. If you include only DTS lossless, then the lossy legacy stream is included in that payload. With Dolby lossless, you have to have both as discreet, separate streams.'

I also have a Toshiba HD DVD player. I have just ordered the HT-SF1100. I am disappointed that I will not be able to hear any of the new audio formats through the tosh. Will "plain old dolby digital and DTS" be a disappointment?

What devices can I connect to experience the "new audio formats"?

The new formats are good, but some of the biggest HD-DVD/Blu-ray releases have DD/DTS, so it's not crucial.

There is a slight gothca with this system. The optical and coax inputs are matched to inputs on the system.

1 optical to the Sat input.
1 optical and hdmi to vid2
1 coax and hdmi to dvd.

So if you have 2 devices with hdmi and optical outputs, you need a coax to optical converter.

Thats true if you have one HDMI input on your TV and need to use the switching, but if you have two HDMI inputs you can use the SA-CD/CD optical input for either Sky/PS3/360 etc.

I have my PS3 and Sky HD connected with optical.

A question from me.

Can I use the speakers from this system with another amp such as the Onkyo 605, using new speaker cable as I understand the connections on the included cable aren't standard?

The new formats are good, but some of the biggest HD-DVD/Blu-ray releases have DD/DTS, so it's not crucial.

Are the 5.1 tracks always included on HD movies? I have looked at a few in HMV and they only seem to mention the new formats.

Is it a given that the standard tracks are always included on every disc?

All the best

Since this seems to be the unnofficial HTSF1100 owners thread, I hope you don't mind me asking this question here...

I recently bought a HTSF1100 set for use with my HTPC. My HTPC is using the onboard optical out from the GA-P35-DS4 motherboard on Windows Vista 64bit. The Realtek HD software can output Dolby Digial or DTS. Now Dolby Digital output works OK, but the DTS (which I would prefer to use) does not work at all (no sound outputted through the speakers, no DTS icon).

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm guessing it's most likely something in my HTPC setup, but before I go hunting for some hidden setting I just wanted to check the HTSF1100 can, in fact, decode DTS.

I ask as the manual mentions it on page 38 ("Enjoying Dolby Digital and DTS Surround Sound") but doesn't list DTS as an option under the AFD mode settings on page 39 or the sound fields on page 41.

Any ideas?

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm guessing it's most likely something in my HTPC setup, but before I go hunting for some hidden setting I just wanted to check the HTSF1100 can, in fact, decode DTS.

Yes it can decode DTS. On my DVD player, you choose DTS from the menu of a DVD that has a DTS soundtrack. It will then show DTS on the front panel

Total newbie here, just ordered a HTSF1100. I have a sony 40w2000, and have the RDRHXD870B HD/DVD recorder. What's the best way to hook this all together? I was hoping as it's all Sony, there may be some on-screen way all this may work nicely together, though looking at the previous posts, most people seem to be resigned to the fact that all the HDMI provides is an extra port. Should I bother with another HDMI cable, or just see if 2 opticals will do? My other question is that if all my sound originally goes through my TV, why do I need to wire it direct to the DVD/HD player.

Any advice appreciated.

Matt

Total newbie here, just ordered a HTSF1100. I have a sony 40w2000, and have the RDRHXD870B HD/DVD recorder. What's the best way to hook this all together? I was hoping as it's all Sony, there may be some on-screen way all this may work nicely together, though looking at the previous posts, most people seem to be resigned to the fact that all the HDMI provides is an extra port. Should I bother with another HDMI cable, or just see if 2 opticals will do? My other question is that if all my sound originally goes through my TV, why do I need to wire it direct to the DVD/HD player.

Any advice appreciated.

Matt

Hi there

I have the HTSS1100 which has the same amp but the smaller speakers. If you search earlier posts on this thread there is a link the manual which you can download to get yourself familiar with the system and settings. As i understand the amp/receiver's only acts as a switch and you will need to connect your dvd player to the amp with a co-ax. The Hdmi inputs are paired ( one with co-ax (dvd) and one with optical). Whether you choose to connect the dvd player up to your lcd screen is up to you, but seeing that you have all sony products i would imagine that if you did you would be able to use one remote for all products.

A question to all owners of this system. I'm planning to purchase either SS1100 or SF1100 or wait for xx1200 which is already around the corner. But the main problem, I can't decide between wall-mounted speakers or floor standing ones.

I prefer floor standing speakers, but the configuration of my room only allows to place rear floor standing units very close to the couch, and I had bad experience with this on Philips HTS9800. When I was sitting on the couch with someone, I was closer to the left or the right rear speaker, thus I heard only it, not the other one. Is this something that can be fixed via one way or another?

On the other hand wall mounted speakers can be mounted on the walls far from the couch, but really high, almost on the ceiling. So I have my concern about sound quality from these small speakers. Will it be good enough when rear speakers are that high on the walls?

What cables would I need to purchase to connect my PS3 and Sky HD to this. I want to use my PS3 as my main DVD player now and have surround sound and this looks a good option to get that, but I get very confused with the cables. My plasma has two HDMI inputs. Any help much would be much appreciated.

Am I right in thinking I would need to get 1 extra HDMI cable and 2 optical digital cables.

:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom