Sony HTSS1100 - are there any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by m&s, Sep 15, 2007.

1. m&s

m&s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

i am a newbie looking for a home cinema kit.

I know that these systems will probably not be as good as seperates. However, as my living room is only approx. 6m x 4.5m and therefore i think that seperates might be too excessive and that i will be happy with an all-in-one jobbie.

I must confess that i owned a panny all-in-one (ht500) which was plenty loud enough but it had an integrated dvd player and that decided to develop a freezing habit during playback one day, thus the whole system was completely useless as it only has 2 stereo inputs.

Therefore, although i read that the new panny all-in-one jobbies are quite good, i would rather get a seperate dvd player.

Another reason why i can't get a seperate is that it won't fit inside my new dwell cabinet. Unless anyone can recommend any slim amps which have optical inputs and also HDMI switching.

Hence, my choice appears to limited to a Sony HTSS1100 (wife doesn't like the speaker stands of the HFSF1100 :rolleyes:). I have searched and searched but cannot find any similar systems, they all apear to have a built in dvd. Whilst there appear to be many owners who are happy with there Sony system, i tested one today and whilst it was in a shop so there was other background noise, the 1000 watt claimed output just seemed to be a tad unrealistic :rolleyes: In fact not much louder than the panny HT500 i had, if at all.

Can anyone recommend any systems which have similar specs to the HTSS1100 (HDMI switching and optical inputs). Before someone suggests the DDW890, i have considered this, but the amp is too big :(

Thanks in advance :cool:

2. m&s

m&s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone? :lease:

3. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    best bet is to look through this forum,as there are far too many models,to mention.

4. m&s

m&s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks RottenFox

But, I have searched lots on the forum and there are perhaps a few i have already looked at ( sorry did not make this clear on the thread title or my original post)

Sony SS/SF1100

Samsung AVS710

JVC TH-L1

I am a bit apprehensive with the samsung as that seems to have had a lot of problems, especially with HDMI connections and the JVC seems a little underpowered compared to the Sony or samsung.

I am not aware of any other systems that meet my criteria.

5. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    i would take the power ratings of these systems,with a pinch of salt.
    some so called 1000watt systems,are not anywhere even near that,and most,will easily fill a normal sized living room,with sound.