Sony HTSL7A and sky no 5.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andru, Sep 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i have just bought a Sony HTSL7A surround system with DTS/5.1 etc i have connected it up to my sky digi box with phono to phono leads,yet when i watched star wars last night and saving private ryan i could only watch them in normal stereo.I thought my system would decode the films to full dolby surround.Is there a way to connect these up so that it will work?

Thanks

2. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only the Sky + box can deliver DD 5.1; and this is only for certain movies on Sky widescreen i believe (i would stand correcting here), and it would be necessary to connect using a digital connection (i.e optical). The best you can get without this is pro logic.

3. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks
    Can you tell me what to expect from pro logic does this include any rear speaker sound because all i get is sound from the two front and the sub

4. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know what DSP setting the amp is on, is it Auto Format Decoding? If so, then this would explain why you are not getting any sounds from the centre or rear, as this will only output exactly the channels that are input, i.e. if input stereo, output stereo. Try other DSP settings, or check your manual to see if there is an explanation of what is output for each setting.

5. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes i have the setting on Auto Format Decoding i'll have a good look through the manual for other settings

Thanks

6. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one more point, to get DD or DTS (from a DVD player for example) you must connect using a digital connection, either coax or optical, regular phono leads will not be sufficient.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Andru,

Just out of interest how are you getting on with the HTSL7?

I couldn'tt find any reviews on it just before I purchased one, but I brought it anyway as the spec seemed pretty good and I needed something slime to fit into my unit.

Although, I do find the cd music quality poor. with this in mind I am thinking of upgrading my speakers.