1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HTSL

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Alio, Oct 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Alio

Alio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of getting a surround system, but have two restrictions. One is the limited space below my tele, and the second is the planning boss will not have big speakers either side of the tele. I have seen the Sony HTSL 7A which seems to fit my situation, being small enough phusically, but with some punch at 80 watts per channel. Does anyone have any experience of this setup or is there a better option.

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Alio,

I can find no trace of a Sony HTSL 7A and have tried searching on Sony's web site, uk.media.home-cinema and Google.

What is it and how much will it cost you ?

Ian

3. Alio

Alio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found it at the www.sony.co.uk site under Home Entertainment section. The only price I've seen is at Unbeatable £370 I think.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have had a look at the Sony web site and as with most Sony products on the site the description hardly tells you anything. It appears to be amp / DVD / 5 sat + sub speaker set up but you have to read carefully to even get that far. The unbeatable.co.uk site states that it is Dolby Digital and DTS but the Sony site doesn't even tell you that about it's own product.

I haven't read any magazine tests and therefore don't know what it sounds like but the problem with these type of units is the poor connectivity and lack of upgrade path.

DVD looks best when output in RGB but these all in one units tend not to have a scart socket to output RGB and you may have to settle for s-video which is almost as good and considerably better than ordinary composite video. The problem arises if you only have two scart sockets on your TV and you are trying to connect Sky digiboxes and playstations etc.

Have a look at Richer Sounds web site. They do proper separates which will sound much better and in the fast moving home cinema world some of the items that they sell are last year's technology but still good value.

Your problem will be finding suitable speakers that make an acceptable noise and will be approved by the "planning boss".

Can you stretch your budget another couple of hundred pounds to a Yamaha Home Cinema In a Box which is available for about £350 plus either a Yamaha DVD (for aesthetic matching) at £200 or a non aesthetically matching DVD player from £100 upwards.

Ian

5. Alio

Alio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian for your full reply. I quite agree that an all in one unit is something I don't want, especially as I already have the DVD. I had thought this unit was a standalone amp with satellite speakers, hence my initial interest. You are right about the Sony web site though. Hardly informative! I will have a look round the Richer Sound site as they seem to be universally recommended for good value.

However one supplementary question, coming from me trawling through various sites and reading a load of bumf. Some amps have "32 bit processing", some have "96k/24 bit processing". What is this processing and are they talking about the same thing and which is better? My DVD will connect at 96k but I don't know if this is good, or if it is just something for future development of discs?

TIA

Alistair

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Alistair,

sorry I am not that technical but someone will wander along shortly who is

Regards