Sony HTSF2000 vs Sony HTDDW890

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ceepan, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ceepan

ceepan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking at getting a new home cinema system and am torn between these two. The HTDDW890 is a bit cheaper and has the center surround channel. However the HTSF2000 has speakers which are more pleasing on the eye, plus it is black which would look better with my existing equipment.

Has anybody heard both so that they can compare the sound from the unit?

What are peoples opinions on the merits of both?

Does the HTSF2000 pass 1080p signals in the HDMI output? This isn't an issue at the moment but I suspect will be in the future when I get a Blu-Ray player.

Cheers,
    Paul

2. stefanr

stefanr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The HTSF2000 passes 1080p via HDMI of which it has 3 in and 1 out, the W890 only has 2 in, 1 out although the 890 has all the component connections as well so really depends on what you have that needs connecting.

There's another Sony model the HTSS/SF1200 which I think will be slightly cheaper than the 2000, the only difference being, the fascia is all black as opposed to blue/black other than that, exactly the same machine and speakers and connections.

The only other difference between the two your looking at other than the connections, are the speaker connections, the 890 has 6.1 and are spring clip, the 2000 5.1 and has Sony plugs.

Not sure about sound difference, I know welsh_whirlwind has the SF1200 and loves it, see his thread is here and I'm getting the SS2000 or SS1200 when it's released mid Feb. I personally like the 2000/1200 because all my stuff is HDMI so I don't have to have spagetti junction at the back of the unit, just HDMI cables from one to the other.

Best bet is to go to a Sony centre as I'm sure they'll have both in stock. I would have gone for the W890 but don't like the retro look of the speakers plus I don't have room for the rear centre. Down to connection/tastes in the end.

3. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the htddw890 will not handle LPCM audio if you connect to a Blu-Ray player, perhaps Rottenfox can kindly verify this.

4. ceepan

ceepan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you buy longer speaker cable with the Sony plugs? I see that the cables for the rear surrounds are 8m long. That should be long enough, but in case it isn't I want to know if I can just buy speaker cable and get the Sony Plug connectors.

Can somebody advise where the HTSF1200 can be purchased. After doing a web search I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. Even the HTSF2000 isn't available that many places. I couldn't find either of them on Sony's own website:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...te=odw_en_GB&category=HCS+Cinema+Surround+Kit

I'll try and nip into my local Sony centre (Livingston) but it isn't particulary big, so I am not sure if they will have either on display.

5. chilla

chilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know if the HTSF2000 has BRAVIA sync? I'm looking at getting a 40" Sony LCD and like the concept behind this.

cheers!

6. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    The amps are on the website, just in their packaged form. The 1200 is packaged with a DVD HDD recorder (The RDRHX870) and is listed as the
    'HTD-870RSF'
    And the 2000 is packaged with a Blu-Ray player (The BDP-S300), listed as 'HTP-BD2RSF'

Compare them both HERE

7. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yes it does.

8. chilla

chilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the link - couldn't find it anywhere on the sony site!

one thing i have noticed is that there is no headphone out on the amp itself. i have been looking at getting some wireless headphones (Sony DRBT20NX) but am i right in assuming these will only work with the Sony TDM-BT1 via the DMport?