Sony HTIS-100 speakers with 810?

ianjh

Standard Member
Hi,

Considering buying one of these but need some advice.

My current system is Sony 46ex703 TV,Sony 370Bluray, Sony HTIS-100 Home Cinema plus a further 6 HDMI connected bits and bobs (Humax Freeview, Humax Freesat,Aston Simba French TNTSAT, Panasonic DVDR, Apple TV etc).

For normal TV however the sound is routed (digital optical) to a Onkyo Midi HIfi (2 channel stereo)for any of these inputs connected to a pair of Mordant Short Floor standing speakers. The sound is excellent but only 2 channel.

What I would like to do is connect the Mordant Shorts to a SONY STRDH810 to use as currently for normal TV sound etc from all inputs (i'm aware the 810 only has four HDMI inputs, but the TV has 4 and I can output them from the TV using the HDMI out leaving a further 3 for direct input into the 810)

or someting like that!!!

I would then like to utilise the 5 speakers from the HTIS-00 as surround speakers for a possible 7.1 system (2 Mordant Shorts plus 5 HTIS-100) I realise that the speaker set is not matched but I can put put up with that).

My question is (at last I hear you say) is, will the HTIS-100 speakers be suitable for the 810 (they're the very small 'golf ball' variety and very unobstrusive.

Thanks for reading thus far.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Check the impedance of the speakers. As long as they are more than 4 ohms then you could use them with the 810. Also is the sub active or passive (you need an active sub with the 810).
The biggest issue I see is the centre which is going to be very mismatched to the front 2 MS speakers. This could give you a very unbalanced front soundstage. In fact it may be better to not use the centre and let the MS speakers create a 'phantom' centre instead. Since the centre speaker takes upto 60% of the total sound output it is important to get the centre speaker right and it is often better to have no centre at all than have a poor centre. Also MS speakers may not be a best match to the Sony reciever (both considered bright sounding) so make sure you demo first to ensure it sounds OK to you.

ianjh

Standard Member
Thanks for that, food for thought!
The point about the MS's being a possible mismatch is taken on board, my main criteria is to use what I've got so I accept that whatever I do won't be perfect.
Likewise reference leaving the centre speaker out, at the moment the MS/Onkyo setup, whilst not being a 'surround' system does give an excellent 'wrap around' effect when fed the right material.

Thanks

Ian

ianjh

Standard Member
Hello again,

Yes the sub is active (yamaha) and I see that the IS100 speakers are rated at 10ohms so hopefully should be ok.

Ian

Top Bottom