Sony htddw880

O

ohmss007

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sony htddw880??

I've been reading the thread on the Yamaha av59 or Denon 1356 (alot of great information), I had my eye on both systems (mainly the Denon) until I came across the Sony ddw880. I want to order one of the three on Thursday but am unsure, mainly due to the fact I'm clueless.

The Denon has some great sound options where the Yamaha doesn't have as many. The Yamaha has a 6ch ext if wanting 6.1 where the Denon Doesn't although still got to buy an additonal speaker.

Sony has the 6.1 and hdmi (not sure if I need hdmi) but the sound options are not as good as the Denon and I don't think it has as many connections but I like the idea of 6.1 speakers, Denon doesn't have that option. Any help??
thanks to all

I'll let you know about the Sony in a couple of days, I ordered it and it has been despatched. :thumbsup:

Hi there, I went for the Denon which should be here in a couple of days. Hoping I've made the right decision. Let me know how the Sony is.

I was in mid purchase of the DDW880 from pixmania, they decided to let my order sit in 'awaiting authorization' for three days and let me contact them before requesting all sorts of ID. All this despite taking the money from my account on day one! Now it appears to be out of stock! A whole month of waiting because they can't sell goods properly and there only appears to be 2 retailers that sell it to UK based customers :(

Anyone know anywhere else that stocks it?

I was in mid purchase of the DDW880 from pixmania, they decided to let my order sit in 'awaiting authorization' for three days and let me contact them before requesting all sorts of ID. All this despite taking the money from my account on day one! Now it appears to be out of stock! A whole month of waiting because they can't sell goods properly and there only appears to be 2 retailers that sell it to UK based customers :(

Anyone know anywhere else that stocks it?

I received an email asking me for my ID, I scanned my drivers licence and emailed it to em.

Am receiving it soon, they say it's been despatched.

It is available here as of 20th October: Back Office

Have you received this yet, iBoris? I'm dying to know what it's like :)

Have you received this yet, iBoris? I'm dying to know what it's like :)

Nope, it was out to delivery by Saturday, but when I called Parcelforce they said it was going to be delivered Monday. I will be at work, so will probably pick it up Tuesday night after work.

Will have an idea for you by Wednesday, but it will not be properly in situ until end of week, as I haven't got the furniture yet...

OK

The unit has arrived today and it is a bit of a beast.

The main receiver is more than twice the height of my previous unit (Pioneer all in one). My girlfriend has thrown a fit as I haven't bought the unit to put it in...

Anyway, after finally setting it up to my Sky+ and Philips DVP5960 DVD player, I tested out the sound and it sounded really weak. Two problems there - 1. I missed the 'ON' button hidden around the back of the sub (DOH!) and 2. I hadn't run the auto calibration.

You place a smalle black mic where you normally sit and it automatically sets up the speakers - very nice setup.

I decided to test out my DVD player first and hit a snag - the DVP5960 is connected by HDMI to my TV and Coaxial digital to the receiver. I got a HDCP warning from the DVD player and could only get PCM sound from the amp (after reading the DVD forum I found out you have to update your firmware).

After updating my firmware I can now not access my DVD player (thanks Philips!! :mad: ) My TV says the DVD player feed is out of scan range. I have sent an email to Philips and hope they can fix it, or it's going back.

Onto Sky+ - I connected up my Sky+ box via Optical and the quality of the DD 5.1 is much improved over my old unit. The dialogue channel is much clearer, though I need to fine tune the sub as it can be a bit over powering.

I have tested 6.1 and it works, though the speaker is sitting on the floor behind my sofa (need another stand) so I cannot comment on the quality yet. The options are quite comprehensive.

I will be buying the unit to house the beast by the weekend and will post some pics and more thoughts.

Initial opinion is that it is definitely worth the £253 I paid for it, despite the DVD problem (which is Philips fault anyway). I will buy another optical lead and hook up the Xbpx 360 through the component feed to let you know how video switching is handled - probably Thursday.

Thanks for the post iBoris! Looking forward to your thorough examination later on :)

Could you perhaps also try playing music through the set? I'd love to know how it performs in that area, as I'm thinking of buying it and would use it for that too (pop and classical music). TIA!

Thanks for the post iBoris! Looking forward to your thorough examination later on :)

Could you perhaps also try playing music through the set? I'd love to know how it performs in that area, as I'm thinking of buying it and would use it for that too (pop and classical music). TIA!

I've played some MTV through it and forced four speaker stereo and it sounds okay, will have to test with a CD tomorrow.

More Opinions - watched Fantastic Four last night on Sky Movies via Dolby Digital 5.1 and the sound is fantastic, dialogue is very clear, surround positioning is spot - shame the film is pants.

I need to tweak my sub settings as the LFE can be a little too much, especially late at night - though you can change the dynamic range to watche movies quietly.

Still haven't tested video switching, need to setup my 360 via component to see how it copes with the HD image.

Thanks for posting your feedback iBoris, it's very interesting and very tempting for me to buy one :) What was the service like from PixMania? Are they a UK company?

Thanks for posting your feedback iBoris, it's very interesting and very tempting for me to buy one :) What was the service like from PixMania? Are they a UK company?

French, I think. But the delivery for this and my Harmony remote was fine. I had to email a scan of my drivers licence for this system, part of their anti-fraud measures. But apart from that I have been happy with their service.

Be aware though that they automatically try to sign you up to their Pix club card, which sounds okay, but only if you're gonna buy a lot of stuff. They also check the Zen agreement which means in the first years cover if something goes wrong you can swap it for anything else up to the same value - bit pointless as you have a manufacturers warranty.

Thanks again for the opinion iBoris! Did you get a chance to try an audio cd with the set?

Thanks again for the opinion iBoris! Did you get a chance to try an audio cd with the set?

No, but seeing as it would only be through a DVD player it wouldn't be that good anyway.

I have tried the tuner and Radio 1 sounds good, though it is FM not DAB.

Thanks anyway, I'm going to try and make up my mind ;)

Hi

Can anyone else with experience of this system, or any other comments, alternative system suggestions, or current UK suppilers (apart from Pixmania or Back Office) please email me to let me know.

I'm interested in the system, but don't know all that much about the entire home cinema setup. I'm keen to play quality music not only just appreciate surround sound from a DVD.

Thanks!

I went into the Sony centre this weekend to enquire about it because I'm worried about the warranty / after-sales issues with buying from a non-UK supplier. Sony told me that they won't be getting it in because it isn't a UK model. The only one they currently sell is the HT-DDW780 which is only a 5.1 system.

The speakers which are used in this package are available in the UK (see here) but the receiver is not going to be available. There are comparable Sony receivers available though (such as this) but to buy that and the speakers separately will add £100+ to the purchase price.

I'm undecided at the moment because as much as I like the look of the Sony, if anything goes wrong with it I get the feeling Sony UK are not going to be able to help :(

I went into the Sony centre this weekend to enquire about it because I'm worried about the warranty / after-sales issues with buying from a non-UK supplier. Sony told me that they won't be getting it in because it isn't a UK model. The only one they currently sell is the HT-DDW780 which is only a 5.1 system.

The speakers which are used in this package are available in the UK (see here) but the receiver is not going to be available. There are comparable Sony receivers available though (such as this) but to buy that and the speakers separately will add £100+ to the purchase price.

I'm undecided at the moment because as much as I like the look of the Sony, if anything goes wrong with it I get the feeling Sony UK are not going to be able to help :(

I'd just like to add that there is an official Sony Warranty in the box and it DOES include the UK and Ireland.

By law, if Sony wish to sell something in the Europe then they also have to cover that item in the UK due to the open market.

Ah well that's good to know iBoris, gives a little more reassurance. Are you still happy with the system now you've had it for a week or so?

Ah well that's good to know iBoris, gives a little more reassurance. Are you still happy with the system now you've had it for a week or so?

Yep, hooked up my Philips DVP5960 last night, updated the firware and watched Star Wars Episode III, great surround effects in the intro, nice depth to the music and the dialogue was very clear.

As I have said, my previous experience of surround was a smaller all-in-one Pioneer DVD/Home Cinema that was about 2 years old.

Sounds like a good system, shame it is so damn difficult to get hands on it!

BackOffice are now saying Monday November 27th and Pixmania have had it as the 9th November for a while.

Well, I took the plunge and ordered it. Got a 3 or 4 week or so wait now until I get one but I wanted to makes sure I got it :)

Well, I took the plunge and ordered it. Got a 3 or 4 week or so wait now until I get one but I wanted to makes sure I got it :)

I think you'll be pleased with your purchase, I know I was. :)

Has anyone read a review on the ddw880 yet? Or seen any real pictures? I'm still in doubt... :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom