Sony htddw880

Has anyone read a review on the ddw880 yet? Or seen any real pictures? I'm still in doubt... :rolleyes:

Couldn't find one anywhere, for the money I just took the plunge.

Having said that reviews are totally subjective when it comes to AV kit (IMO). I read a fantastic review about my Hitachi 32LD7200 LCD HD TV in Home Cinema Choice and promptly purchased one from Comet.

I recently picked up a copy of What Hifi: Sound and Vision and they gave it 2 out of 5 stars saying it was not that good, yet I still think it's a fantastic set - it has just about every connection you could think of, pretty good analogue TV imaging and great DVD and HD pictures, the only thing it hasn't got is a digital tuner.

iBoris - Just before i put an order in can you tell me if the package came with speaker cables or not?
Many thaks, J

Yep - in the box is:

AV Receiver w/attached power lead.

Sub Woofer w/attached power lead.

1 centre speaker
2 front speakers
3 surround speakers

3 long speaker cables
3 short speaker cables

2 standard video/audio cables (one connects to the subwoofer)

AM and FM aerials for the tuner

Microphone and long lead (to setup auto-callibration)

Instructions
Guarantee etc

Should take some pictures, but it is still not in place yet!!

Yep - in the box is:

AV Receiver w/attached power lead.

Sub Woofer w/attached power lead.

1 centre speaker
2 front speakers
3 surround speakers

3 long speaker cables
3 short speaker cables

2 standard video/audio cables (one connects to the subwoofer)

AM and FM aerials for the tuner

Microphone and long lead (to setup auto-callibration)

Instructions
Guarantee etc

Should take some pictures, but it is still not in place yet!!

Cheers Boris!!! Now off to hammer to Credit card!!

Couldn't find one anywhere, for the money I just took the plunge.

Having said that reviews are totally subjective when it comes to AV kit (IMO).

You're right about reviews being subjective. I trust the Yamaha is a good kit though, considering it has had good reviews and lots of supporters around here. The Sony may be just as good, but for me € 330 or so is a lot of money, so I think I'm gonna go for the Yamaha after all (also considering I can't find a single shop in the Netherlands where I can listen to these sets, and the Sony isn't locally available at all). Thanks for all your feedback though, you've been a great help! :)

You're right about reviews being subjective. I trust the Yamaha is a good kit though, considering it has had good reviews and lots of supporters around here. The Sony may be just as good, but for me € 330 or so is a lot of money, so I think I'm gonna go for the Yamaha after all (also considering I can't find a single shop in the Netherlands where I can listen to these sets, and the Sony isn't locally available at all). Thanks for all your feedback though, you've been a great help! :)

Totally understand. I also think the general audio quality is of more importance to yourself. I'm no audiophile, I just want big movie sound effects when watching my DVD's and playing on the Xbox! :D

Can someone tell me whether the HDMI switching is HDCP compatible.

Thanks

IBoris,

You said it comes with speaker cables - is it pretty good quality cable and how long are the long ones?

Thanks.

Been looking for ages for one box surround sound solution and this is looking nice!

Has anyone had any probs putting HD through it? (I want to hook my xbox 360 through)

Also can it output all connected video inputs throught the HDMI or Component out? Just having one cable to the TV would make the missus very happy :D

:thumbsup:

Sorry to sound like a complete idiot but i was thinking of getting this for my Xbox 360 and Sky HD, i dont want to use the Xbox as a dvd player cause its pants, how easy is it to attach a DVD player to this unit does it have to be a sony one and how is it done??

Thanks

Hey Spib, what's your order status? Mine has been on validation since Friday and I'm starting to get impatient! Just wondered if you were in the same boat.
Thanks, J

Mine was dispatched on Monday and I have a tracking number for it but the parcelforce website doesn't give me any more info. My order went straight from paid to dispatch without touching the validation bit (paid via visa card) but i know iBoris said he had to do validation.

Sorry to sound like a complete idiot but i was thinking of getting this for my Xbox 360 and Sky HD, i dont want to use the Xbox as a dvd player cause its pants, how easy is it to attach a DVD player to this unit does it have to be a sony one and how is it done??

Thanks

Just hook it up using optical or coaxial digital cable, it has both types of audio input, and hook up your video feed directly to the TV.

And no, it doesn't have to be a Sony unit.

Mine was dispatched on Monday and I have a tracking number for it but the parcelforce website doesn't give me any more info. My order went straight from paid to dispatch without touching the validation bit (paid via visa card) but i know iBoris said he had to do validation.

Your order won't show up until it's in the UK on Parcelforce's tracker.

IBoris,

You said it comes with speaker cables - is it pretty good quality cable and how long are the long ones?

Thanks.

Standard cable, I think.

I sit about 3 metres back from my TV, and there is a lot of slack cable, so I guess they're about 5m long.

Cheers Spib:smashin: Just fired off an email to ask if they need anything else from me to move it on, don't want to end up missing out on this being in stock.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Me again, sorry told you i was a novice, can i use this system

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DVP-NS355-Multi-region-DVD-Player/dp/B000244ZS2

and if so which cable would i need to use??

Hi Kingsd316. Bit of a novice myself mate so mine might not be the best advice your gonna get on here... Looks like that DVD comes with and AV lead - now it depend what that is but if it is the standard yellow, red and white jacks that's all you will need for Pro Logic. You may want to get a digital coaxial lead though to get DTS or true Dolby Digital surround sound out of it.

Hope this is right and hope it helps pal.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi all thanks for all the help, can I just clarify some questions:

I Connect my Sky HD via an optical cable and HDMI in , then HDMI Out to the TV and that's that sorted for surround sound?

I Connect my Xbox 360 via an optical cable Keep the component cables in the TV and now that will have surround sound?
(Is that all I have to do)

I Can Connect my DVD player with a coaxial digital cable and keep the scart in the TV for surround sound?

I Can connect my Playstation 2 with AV Leads then using the video out connect that to my TV and that will improve my playstation 2 sound?

This would lead an HDMI clear for my pending playstation 3 to use

Thanks in advance

Hi all thanks for all the help, can I just clarify some questions:

I Connect my Sky HD via an optical cable and HDMI in , then HDMI Out to the TV and that’s that sorted for surround sound?

I Connect my Xbox 360 via an optical cable Keep the component cables in the TV and now that will have surround sound?

I Can Connect my DVD player with a coaxial digital cable and keep the scart in the TV for surround sound?

I Can connect my Playstation 2 with AV Leads then using the video out connect that to my TV and that will improve my playstation 2 sound?

This would lead an HDMI clear for my pending playstation 3 to use

Thanks in advance

All correct!

Wouldn't the HDMI carry a digital audio signal as well, leaving a spare optical input or is this a SKY HD thing I don't know about... Or even worse does the amp not process the HDMI inputs? :rolleyes:

Any sign of yours yet Spib? Gave them a call about the hold up around the validation issue and low and behold they allegedly sent an email asking for some ID confirmation on Monday. Slightly hesitant about faxing off personal info but decided to still go ahead with it so hopefully it’ll be on its way soon. If anyone else goes for this I'd suggest asking them if they need any documents for their validation process when you place the order.

HDMI does carry a digital audio signal, but this amp's HDMI inputs are just pass throughs, and the amp doesn't process the audio of them. This means that a optical cable is also required.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom