1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HTDDW860 Home Cinema Package

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Peter Kendrick, Jan 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Peter Kendrick

Peter Kendrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am new to Home Cinema and was thinking of buying this package. Can anyone let me know what it is like or offer a better alternative. The package comes around £250 for a receiver and 7.1 700watt speaker system.
    Thanks.

2. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony set-up has limited connections on the amp - e.g. no component video or S-Video capability, so you could not use the amp for switching purposes. The following link details the connections:

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/htddw860/htddw860.htm

If you are prepared to spend a bit more then you could have a Denon AVR1705 amplifier for around £200 (with loads of connection possibilities) and some Canton CD-1 speakers if you import them from Germany (again around £200 - there are loads of threads on importing the Cantons on AV Forums).

Another option to consider - especially if your DVD player is not very good - is the Denon DHT550SD all-in-one system. This gives you a progressive scan DVD player, tuner, CD player, amplifier and some cracking 5.1 speakers for around £400. It is reviewed on the following link:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/outputpdf.php?file=WVTV/200410/034_WV_1004.pdf

The Sony appears to be a 6.1 system - have you thought carefully about the location of the back speaker? They can be difficult to place if, for example, your sofa backs on to a wall.

Hope this helps

3. Peter Kendrick

Peter Kendrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much Harrison. I will research your suggestions. I was thinking of buying the Sony HX900 DVD/HDD recorder, however, there appear to be problems dividing the recordings.
    Happy New Year!
    Peter Kendrick.

4. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck with your research, but if you're going to spend around £550 on a DVD/HDD recorder then I think you should spend more on an amp and speakers to realise the benefit of that investment.