Sony HTAS5 Bravia Sync

BlackBeltBlakey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello gurus,

I have recently bought the Sony HTAS5 to complete my home cinema set up. I also have a Sony Bravia TV, a Sony PS3 and a Humax Freesat box.

I have the PS3 and the Humax both connected to the HTAS5 via HDMI. The HTAS5 then connects to the TV via HDMI. All cables are 1.4 compliant.

Now I can use my TV remote to control the PS3 - which must go through the TV, into the HTAS5 and then on into the PS3. But the same remote won't control the HTAS5.

I have switched on "Control via HDMI" on all the devices. If I look at controllable devices on the TV it sees the Ps3 and the HTAS5 but only shows the PS3 as controllable.

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks
Blakey

What sort of control are you looking for? I don't have the same system as you, but with my Sony KDL-40W4000 and HT-DDWG800, the volume button on the TV remote can be used to control the amp's volume. That's all - it doesn't specifically show up in the list of controllable devices, and I have to use the amp's remote to access its menus.

What does the volume button on your TV remote do when your HTAS5 is on? If it is still controlling your TV's speaker volume and not the HTAS5's, then you'll probably need to set the Speaker/Audio output, in your TV settings, to audio system instead of TV speaker, which will also completely disable the TV speaker until you switch the HTAS5 off or change inputs.

Yay - that's a great start, thanks. I can now control the HTAS5 volume with the TV remote.

What I really want to do though is to control the PS3 through the HTAS5's remote. That remote has options to switch which input it's using (PS3, Freesat in my case) and obviously the volume works. But when I stick a DVD into the PS3 I can't use the controls on the Audio to stop/pause etc. I have to go back to the TV remote - which does allow me to control the PS3.

Any ideas?

I don't think the AV remote has Bravia Sync on it, does it? So, you can't use it to control any other devices via HDMI :(. The way that remote works is that the infra red codes are beamed directly to the amp, TV or DVD player rather than via HDMI. The PS3 doesn't have an infra red receiver, so that's no use to it. The best way to control the PS3 when watching movies is via the official Blu-ray remove (Bluetooth).

My DDWG800's remote gathers dust most of the time, because it automatically switches inputs from TV to PS3 or DVD whenever I switch them on or use the TV remote to switch inputs. The amp turns on/off automatically with my TV also. So, I hardly ever need to use the amp's remote. I'm sure there is a way to set things up so switching is all automatic for Freesat too.

Thanks for the reply again.

That's a bit pants then. I really don't want 3 remotes for 4 devices (TV, PS3, HTAS5 and Humax). I thought the whole point of these systems - especially buying 3 out of 4 as Sony - was that I'd only need one remote!

I thought the whole point of these systems - especially buying 3 out of 4 as Sony - was that I'd only need one remote!

You thought wrong. Bravia Sync means that the machines try to control one another via HDMI - whichever remote you use to activate whichever piece of kit is completely irrelevent.

So - you turn on something connected to the TV via HDMI (say a DVD player, a Blu Ray player or a home cinema system) and the TV switches itself on if it isn't already turned on, and selects the HDMI input that the external kit is connected to.

You turn the TV off - and the home cinema/DVD/Blu Ray player connected to it via HDMI turns itself off as well.

You select an alternative input on the TV - and the home cinema/DVD/Blu Ray turns itself off as it assumes you aren't watching it anymore.

You turn the external kit off - and the TV autoselects an alternative source as it knows you can't be watching the external kit anymore.

Nothing of this has anything to do with remote control usage - you can use whichever remote control you like to turn kit on or off - or even use the buttons on the front of the machines - and the HDMI Bravia Sync logic will still work.

Hmmm, I'm not convinced this is working either. When I turn off the HTAS5 the TV doesn't turn off. Maybe I should go into Sony shop and get them to show me how it should work...?

Hmmm, I'm not convinced this is working either. When I turn off the HTAS5 the TV doesn't turn off.

Why would it? Just because you don't want to watch the output from the home theatre doesn't mean you don't want to watch TV.

Okay, that makes sense, yes. Thanks.

So the problem appears to be that the Sony HTAS5 remote isn't able to control the TV/PS3 as it doesn't support Bravia Sync. Is there a way around this so that I'm back to just 2 remotes (Sony and Humax) ?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm an AV neophyte.

Thanks
Blakey

Is there a way around this so that I'm back to just 2 remotes (Sony and Humax) ?

Get a Harmony remote which can be programmed to control just about any piece of AV kit you can think of. If you still want to use a second remote, don't program the Harmony to control all the bits of kit - then you'll have to use its own remote for whichever piece of kit you don't program into the Harmony.

One remote would be perfect. I'll go check out Harmony remotes - thanks again!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom