1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HT11 or Sharp 9000 or ...?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jrwood, Apr 1, 2002.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few questions and I cant wait for the screenshots :) as Im using MDF with ICESTORM 5 on my first projector (Sony VPL-CX1). Im extremely happy with it, but I should be coming into a lot of money soon so maybe an upgrade is in order :).

1) Does the Sony 11HT have two modes say 1000 lumens and 700 lumens?

2) How good are the blacks?, my CX1 is rated at 550 lumens which means in dark films it projects a very good picture with a grey screen/filter, just as good as in the cinema if not better imho.

3) I will be using a HTPC (radeon), so will I be able to get a true 1 to 1 pixel mapping which totally bypasses the internal scaler.

4) Any rumours that a new 12HT is on the horizon?

5) Wheres the cheapest place to get it from, although I may buy it locally from a shop in Birmingham so I can check for dead pixels.

6) Would I be better going for the Sharp 9000 and pay double ?, is it really that good even though its DLP?

7) If I did get a new projector then I would probably ceiling mount it if I could get it to hide behind the cove. I have a kind of archway in the living room but its quite close to the screen at about 8 foot distance. From that distance would it project a 90" wide screen picture? and how much correction would I need...I try to avoid keystone correction :(

thanks!
    James

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll try and answer what I can:

1) Yes. Cinema Black is 700 lumens, "full" is 1000

2) I'm using a matt white screen in cinema black mode and it's pretty good, well I'm happy with it anyway.

3) I believe so. I think there a few forum members using the VW11 with HCPC.

4) Don't know, but Sony are always doing new stuff. Bear in mind that the VW10 was out for over 2 years before being replaced.

5) I got mine for £4,150 from PRC in Forest Gate, London. On-line prices are as low as £3,600 (www.go2camcorder.co.uk) and of course Techtronics, but avoid them is the general opinion.

I intend to use the Barclaycard price promise for mine. I managed to get good service from PRC and I was able to test it for dead pixels before leaving the shop - also got 5 year waranty for £256

6) Personal choice and budget I suppose. DLP projectors (SIM 2) are very good but are more expensive and I think need a further throw distance.

7) My room is 13 feet and I get a 92" diag (80x45 16:9 screen). Take a look at the Sony website for a chart giving the throw distance and image sizes. I don't think you'll get 90" from 8 feet, bearing in mind the distance is from the lens and the projector itself is just over a foot long.

Hope that's helpful.

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I also use a VPL CS1 to ver good effect. The CS4 is great 1000 ansi especially for Toy Story

HTPC what that?

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Home Theatre Personal Computer - i.e. a PC to play DVDs in native resolution. More of an American term as we tend to use HCPC for Home Cinema.

Just a personal preference I suppose.

5. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information Nigel, I`m surprised more people are'nt using a PC with this projector. I would ideally like my next projector to be ceiling mounted but this would have to be 8 foot away from the screen.....but I think any projector would need to have serious keystone correction which I want to avoid. Decisions decisions eh!. I suppose I may investigate some kind of adjustable 'drop down' shelf...

Do you think the projector is fairly quiet?, I also noticed the bulb life is 3000 hours which is very good. When I first entered the home cinema hobby I had a feeling in the back of my mind that 2000 hours did'nt seem a lot. After using the projector a fair bit over the last 6 months Ive only clocked up about 220 hours, its quite suprising really.

James

6. Paul Hayward

Paul Hayward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Hi James,

You know, from what you say I would be reluctant to upgrade the projector you have. If you are enjoying it and it works well, then stick with it for the time being. The times have heard (and done myself) upgrades only to find that I've inherited a whole new load of problems and pine after the original set up which gets idealised in retrospect anyway! ie the whole thing becomes a bit of a nightmare.

Having said that, the newer DLP's from Sharp, Marantz and Simm2 are darn good if you are not sensative to rainbows. And, yes, they are still there with the newer models although the HT300 is probably one of the best at minimising the effect. The latter machine is the one I own and it is very easy to set up especially with an HTPC. But it is £9000 as is the Sharp. I dont know about the Marantz.

In your shoes I'd invest the money and wait a few years for the manufacturers of DLP's to improve contrast, fix rainbows and sell at lower prices.

Regards,

Paul H

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul you talk a lot of sense, I think my first task is to investigate a dedicated home cinema room preferably an extension to the rear of the house as then its a good investment when we sell the house. However I think having a decent sized extension is going to cost upwards of £20,000 :(

8. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got mine mounted on a Unicol bracket. They do one which you can specify the drop. Have a look at their website.

My ceiling in reasonably low so the basic mount works fine and it's rock solid. I may need to drop it ever so slightly to correct a 10mm keystone but it's barely noticable.

Fan noise can be a little distracting on very quiet scenes but I tend to concentrate on the screen so there's no real problem.

I have to agree that it's the best LCD around at the moment but who knows what will be available in a year from now.... sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

Now I'm looking for a decent DVD with PAL progressive.