Sony HT-Z9F Owners and Discussion Thread

Ken65X950G

Novice Member
Did you calibrate using the guide in my signature?

I would say your sub is a bit high, my sub is set at -3.5
The bass is overpowering on the zf9 and does need dialled back.

By overpowering do you mean the bass, or could you explain further?
Morden, I tried to calibrate per your guide, but cannot adjust the volume of the rear speakers. They are connected and there is sound coming from them, but am unable to control the volume level. When I go to setup, I can adjust the dB levels on everything, including the rears, but when using the remote for volume control can only adjust the SB and the Sub. Cannot figure this one out...

Morden

Morden, I tried to calibrate per your guide, but cannot adjust the volume of the rear speakers. They are connected and there is sound coming from them, but am unable to control the volume level. When I go to setup, I can adjust the dB levels on everything, including the rears, but when using the remote for volume control can only adjust the SB and the Sub. Cannot figure this one out...
Try a factory reset and link speakers again.
Other than that if db level cant be adjusted , may be a fault.

As same control on remote used to adjust db level for all speakers.

chenks

here's a question.
when the soundbar detects no input (from HDMI1 for example) it puts up a display message saying so - which is fine.

however in my case it's not so fine. i have my shield set to go to sleep after x minutes/hours of no activity, and when my TV detects no input it displays the artwork "screensaver" (it's an LG OLED TV). however after about 5 seconds of the shield going to sleep the soundbar overrides it and pushes out a signal with the "no display" message.

ideally i don't want the soundbar doing that. is it possbible to stop it doing that?

yakumunkee

Novice Member
Also having trouble with wireless speaker connectivity. I came across this link which shows how to switch to a wired aux connection, but I can’t figure out how to configure it within the settings. That is, once I’ve wired the two rear speakers and subwoofer, I can’t figure out how to enable them as opposed to wireless.

Has anyone else been able to do so? Unfortunately it’s not plug and play as the settings. Even if I use the wireless settings (no wired settings option AFAIK) and plug them in, I still experience the drops. So I don’t think it’s smart enough to automatically route to wired.

Morden

Also having trouble with wireless speaker connectivity. I came across this link which shows how to switch to a wired aux connection, but I can’t figure out how to configure it within the settings. That is, once I’ve wired the two rear speakers and subwoofer, I can’t figure out how to enable them as opposed to wireless.

Has anyone else been able to do so? Unfortunately it’s not plug and play as the settings. Even if I use the wireless settings (no wired settings option AFAIK) and plug them in, I still experience the drops. So I don’t think it’s smart enough to automatically route to wired.

Did you try the steps in previous link I posted?

Sony XG95/ X950G Dolby Atmos issue

chenks

the only relevant step would be the auto volume? which is off by default.
the other setting is a TV setting not related to the soundbar.

however, none of that relates to using the speakers in a wired configuration though?

Morden

the only relevant step would be the auto volume? which is off by default.
the other setting is a TV setting not related to the soundbar.

however, none of that relates to using the speakers in a wired configuration though?

I always work through steps to exclude other issues, in my job I do fault finding and always find its best to be methodical, by ruling out other possibilities you arrive at the cause of the issue. :)

chenks

yeah but unless that person has that Sony TV then they won't have the setting to disable (or enable) ?

i write many SQL queries (and other code) so spending hours trying to work out why something isn't giving the result you expect is indeed tiresome, but it's even worse when you're looking for something that isn't there in the first place :)

Morden

yeah but unless that person has that Sony TV then they won't have the setting to disable (or enable) ?

i write many SQL queries (and other code) so spending hours trying to work out why something isn't giving the result you expect is indeed tiresome, but it's even worse when you're looking for something that isn't there in the first place :)

With hardware issues be it a car or computer, I have always found process of elimination is the best way to identify a fault.

Though not having the tv model we dont know if has a similar setting or not.

On my SB the auto volume was on by default, so maybe some do ship with it on.:)

Last edited:

chenks

possibly, mine was definitely OFF though.
however it's interesting to know there are physical cabled ports for the speakers, but the software has no support for it (unless it's in a hidden service menu).

yakumunkee

Novice Member
Did you try the steps in previous link I posted?

Sony XG95/ X950G Dolby Atmos issue
Turning auto-volume off? I haven’t tried it but I will.

I’m still more interested in trying the wired aux connection. Not sure how many people here knew about that. I scanned through the official HT-Z9F guide and it didn’t even mention it.

Strange that they put it there without any accompanying documentation or settings, no? Plus it’s hidden behind some tiny stickers.

Morden

Turning auto-volume off? I haven’t tried it but I will.

I’m still more interested in trying the wired aux connection. Not sure how many people here knew about that. I scanned through the official HT-Z9F guide and it didn’t even mention it.

Strange that they put it there without any accompanying documentation or settings, no? Plus it’s hidden behind some tiny stickers.

It was mentioned in this post saying wired was there for shop demo purposes where Interference was an issue.

Sony HT-Z9F Owners and Discussion Thread

yakumunkee

Novice Member
that post doesn't mention actually using it though (or how to use it) only that the ports are there.

this part also doesn't make sense as the advice is to do the opposite when having drop out issues.

"If you're having drop out issues on either the subwoofer or rear speakers, set the system's connection type to RF ON, and CONNECTION rather than QUALITY.
Also, if you turn the system off by the power/plug, rather than turn off on standby, this can reset the connection and make it unstable.
Simply turn RF OFF, then turn RF ON again and it repairs all the devices for a secure connection. "
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Makes me suspect moreso that there’s a service settings that we would need to be able to access.

chenks

The system can be set up using a wired connection, as per my previous post.
can you confirm how this mode is enabled?
is it simply automatic if the cables are connected? or does it need to be enabled via the settings?

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett