Sony HT XT3

You just told me there is no way to delay video in any television, right? So in what way do you mean it can be compensated that the XT3 delays the sound?
I was referring to an audio delay adjustment, not video. Some TV's have a +/- adjustable delay setting.

Well, "-" as in negative lag would indicate that the audio is sent out before the video, and that would solve the problem. But I certainly don't have that on my tv, and cannot really find anything when I looked (briefly) around the web.

Not possible with my LG due to the TV's settings.

Not even inserting a headphone to the tv's headphone output and playing the soundbase simultaneously? With optical it might work (it did for me) I also tried with an a analog y-split and sent the signal to the analog input of the XT3 (it also lags - the XT3 probably converts the analog to digital) and headphones in parallell with the same result, XT3 always behind.

But if you are happy with the way it is you might just don't want to know ,)

Most of the latest LG TV's mute the speakers and headphone output if Optical out is selected in the sound menu...which make's my job harder but I guess the LG designers correctly assume that if you're gonna use external equipment for the audio you don't want/need the internal speakers on at the same time.

Most of the latest LG TV's mute the speakers and headphone output if Optical out is selected in the sound menu...which make's my job harder but I guess the LG designers correctly assume that if you're gonna use external equipment for the audio you don't want/need the internal speakers on at the same time.

The Canton DM50 actually was so bad at voices at low volumes, it was better to leave the tv speakers on... It was not the quelity of the sound, but rather that it had so much bass and treble boost, that the midrange level suffered. Perfectly fine on high volumes, but then you got that thunderous bass...

But since the XT3 doesn't have a headphone output, it seems like a bad choice. I mean - why mute the hadphone out when you don't need to? My Sony mutes nothing unless I ask it to, optical is always acitve. Seems logical to me.

Last edited:
The Canton DM50 actually was so bad at voices at low volumes, it was better to leave the tv speakers on... It was not the quelity of the sound, but rather that it had so much bass and treble boost, that the midrange level suffered. Perfectly fine on high volumes, but then you got that thunderous bass...

But since the XT3 doesn't have a headphone output, it seems like a bad choice. I mean - why mute the hadphone out when you don't need to? My Sony mutes nothing unless I ask it to, optical is always acitve. Seems logical to me.
The HT XT3 doesn't need a headphone socket, it supports Bluetooth headphones!

Hi, does anybody that has one of these know if it's possible to play video through one of the inputs and then music at the same time? I would like to be able to play PS4 but then listen to music as well. I guess if not I'll have to plug PS4 directly into the telly.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, does anybody that has one of these know if it's possible to play video through one of the inputs and then music at the same time? I would like to be able to play PS4 but then listen to music as well. I guess if not I'll have to plug PS4 directly into the telly.

Thanks in advance.
No you can't I'm afraid.

Hi guys,

Does somebody knows how you can turn off the TV while listening to the Sony HT-XT3 ?
When I turn my TV off the soundbar turns off also and vice versa.
The soundbar is connected to my sony TV with the ARC hdmi function.
When i'm listening to music through spotify or through my own network,
it is not necessary that the TV is on the whole time.
Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You should be able to disable the ARC option on your TV, but that would then require you to separately power on/off the TV and XT3. On my XT1, I could just power-up the unit, even if it was last used with my TV, and select bluetooth for music streaming, and it didn't power-up the TV. Have you tried that?

Clem

Thanks for the answer.
I have tried to disable the auto start in the hdmi setting menu of the tv and that helps.
Now i can shut down the tv while the xt3 keeps playing.
The downside of this is like you said, that you must separately power on the tv, xt3 and setup box if you want to watch TV. But i can live with that.
Another solution is to go in the tv settings menu and under "eco" you can set picture on off, but you need to do that every time again.
It's pity that there is no button on the remote control of the XT3 to disable the tv image.

New XT3 firmware arrived this week - and the lip sync issue is back!
I'll reboot everything to see if that helps :-(

My sync has been perfect since Sky Q arrived.
Anyone else?

It had settled down until the update - but I'm on Virgin Tivo, so Sky Q won't help :-(

Bummer matey, but I was hoping that an update would fix the box for every source. [emoji45][emoji45]

Has anyone had any experience adding additional speakers to the XT3? I see Sony have updated the app to allow for grouping of speakers and even a surround sound setup. Tempted to buy some of the new SRS ZR5 speakers when they are released to see if I can get a surround sound setup going.

Hi everyone,

I plan to get a soundbar or a sound base to complement my OLED 920V tv. I have no prior experience with these setups, as I have been running a Logitech z550 5.1 system for years.

I see this HT-XT3 soundbase gets excellent reviews, so I'm tempted by it. Do you think it will be a good replacement for the outdated Logitech system?

How does it compare to Yamaha's YSP-1600 in terms of sound quality?

Does it really allow for HDR pass through as the article states?

And last but not least, have these lip sync issues been resolved?

Hi guys,

Does somebody knows how you can turn off the TV while listening to the Sony HT-XT3 ?
When I turn my TV off the soundbar turns off also and vice versa.
The soundbar is connected to my sony TV with the ARC hdmi function.
When i'm listening to music through spotify or through my own network,
it is not necessary that the TV is on the whole time.
Any ideas ?

Thanks.
Just tried in mine:

Watching TV, switched to Spotify, power off TV. Soundbar keeps playing Spotify.

Uppon TV power on, soundbar switches back to TV input.

ARC connexion, with auto power on.

Have got one of these being delivered Thursday, made sure I bought hi speed hdmi and hopefully can avoid lip sync issues others have come across , its replacing a ran not base station which sound great to me but is a bit fugly and even with base on minimum at night it still rumbles , will be plugging ps4 , now tv box and amazon fire tv into the xt3 , I'm come back Friday after I've had a day to play with new shiny object

Have got one of these being delivered Thursday, made sure I bought hi speed hdmi and hopefully can avoid lip sync issues others have come across , its replacing a ran not base station which sound great to me but is a bit fugly and even with base on minimum at night it still rumbles , will be plugging ps4 , now tv box and amazon fire tv into the xt3 , I'm come back Friday after I've had a day to play with new shiny object

I am taking delivery of mine tomorrow, hopefully it'll meet my expectations.

Well , it arrived yesterday , lovely looking base so it scored points already over my tannoy base station and heavier than said base station.

On the hdmi input I've got now tv box , Amazon fire tv box and ps4 then out to my Sony tv , no lip sync issues , I did buy a high speed hdmi to give me best chance , unsure if it makes a difference.

Sounds use I think there is a bit more clarity and definition to the Sony over the tannoy , on music , rhythmically it sounds a bit tighter but the tannoy could handle more bass without any distortion , bit of me wonders how much of this is due to the tannoy having front facing subs with the Sony's underneath as this beast does resonate the front room , so overall sounds use it wins for me.

The bit I'm unsure of is the whole hdmi and Dolby decoding thing and the benefits of this on a 2.1 channel system , I've noticed when I switch the settings on my various boxes to output Dolby then the Sony loses some vocal volume and vocal settings on Sony make very little difference I'm guessing this may be due to lack of dedicated centre channel?

So now I've got my boxes outputting stereo as it sounds a bit more balanced to me, if the Sony would turn itself on and off with optical input think I would resort to that for simplicity as to me the benefits actually achieved from hdmi are minimal , the fact that Sony sell this thing with an optical lead and no hdmi speaks volumes to me.

But hey :-O , other than my minor gripe above this is a lovely sounding and looking unit

I took delivery of mine today.

Connection and setup were a piece of cake. After I updated the firmware over wifi, I connected the soundbase with my Oled 920v via HDMI ARC and it's working perfectly, no lip sync issues at all. When I switch the tv off the Sony goes into standby, when I power the tv there comes the Sony as well after some 5-7 sec.

I tested the system by throwing some movies and it handled them well, a big improvement over the tv's internal speakers. The sound is clear and tight. However, the main advantage of this soundbase is its ability to handle music, it's brilliant for the price point.

I had an opportunity to test Yamaha's SRT-1000 and it blows the Sony out of the water with its surround. So the negative of the Sony is it's inability to produce a wide surround soundstage or to bounce the sound beams the way Yamaha does. So playing Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD doesn't seem like a major advantage at all.

The bass is fine, though not very strong. I keep it at max level and still feel I need more.

My conclusion is that this system is a fine and balanced (and damn good looking) piece of hardware, but I think I should've shelled 400€ more and went for Yamaha YSP-2500.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom