Sony HT XT3/ Sony KD TV audio link ?

D

Deleted member 779946

I am awaiting a reply from Sony tech on this but meanwhile I'll throw the question out there.

My XT3 is linked via HDMI cables to a Sony (KD) 42" smart TV.
I noticed recently that the TV audio is set at compressed. (I do not use the TV speakers )
The audio on the XT3 is also set on compressed.
I thought that the TV audio would have no bearing on the sound I set on the XT3, but out of curiosity I turned the TV audio compression OFF....and there was a distinct difference which I didnt expect.
The question is: should I turn the TV audio compression OFF and just use the XT3 recommended compression which of course is in effect with DVDs etc. ?
Is the TV sound through the XT3 ,in effect, compressed twice if both are set ?

All sounds a bit 'hyper' but I'd like to know. Thanks

Sony Audio DRC works with Dolby HD 'digital' signals - though I suspect it works with all Dolby digital signals.

If you leave the TV in Bitsream mode the signal will be Processed and Compressed by the HT system - if you have Compressions set to On on the HT system.

If you set the TV to PCM and enable Compression on the TV the sound will be Processed and Compressed by the TV - in PCM mode you are not sending a digital signal to the HT system so it cannot apply DRC a second time to the signal.

Sony Audio DRC seems to offer much the same processing as Night Mode - most folk will leave it Off and enable Night Mode for night-time listening.

Joe

Why are you using compressed audio? Why would you want to do that? What am I missing in this post please? My curiosity has bern peaked!

Clem

I guess its just personal preference: I just follow the manual; the XT3 manual quotes

DRC auto/or On (compression settings )
'the system produces the sound track with the kind of dynamic range that the recording engineer intended.'
I found with the DRC 'off'' background music and effects tends to overwhelm the dialogue, depending on the scenario of course.

Interesting. I have the smaller XT1. I'll have to re-check the audio options to see if the setting makes a difference (assuming that the option is present, which I think it is).

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom