Sony HT-XF9000 Owners & Discussion

Hello, I just bought this soundbar a few days ago, I couldn't resist because it was the last one at the store and it was being sold at the equivalent of $233. I was going to buy the HTRT3 for the same price and went with this for the dolby atmos processing.

I want to share some information regarding the settings of the soundbar, someone might find it useful.

1.In Speaker settings, you can manually increase the dB of the subwoofer. I increased mine from 0 to 3(max of 6). If you feel the default setting doesn't have enough bass, increasing this should fix it.

2.In HDMI settings, you can change TV Audio Input Mode from Auto(meaning it would use the HDMI ARC) to Optical. This doesn't affect the device that you have connected to the soundbar's HDMI IN. It affects all the devices connected to the TV's HDMI inputs.
Why set it to optical? Because using HDMI ARC(unless the TV has eARC support) will cause sound delay. Makes it impossible to use for gaming. Setting this to optical(connect soundbar optical input to TV optical output) fixes the audio delay. You can set the consoles to output either stereo or bitstream dolby/DTS, based on preference.

3. Make sure HDMI Signal Format in the soundbar settings is set to Enhance. This setting is strange. I somehow still got dolby vision out of the ATV 4k when this wasn't set to enhanced. So I'm not sure if it does anything, but in case you're not getting HDR or 4k 4:4:4@60fps, this might be the culprit.

4. If you press the "Display" button on the remote, you can see details about the sound coming to the soundbar. Only works for the device plugged in the soundbar's HDMI IN. It also shows what sound processing is used. You'll notice for dolby atmos content, vertical surround is always on, even if you disable it with the button. But vertical surround is off on the "Music" sound profile.
Turning off vertical surround effect will activate the S-Force PRO surround effect instead in certain sound profiles(like Cinema).

4.1 In Audio settings, sound effects, try out Dolby Speaker Virtualizer. It disables all the sony presets(cinema, music, game, etc.), but to me it sounds better on all sources (stereo, lpcm 5.1, lpcm 7.1 and netflix dolby atmos).

5. In System Settings, there's an Auto Standby option. I set this to Off. The soundbar will turn off when I turn off the TV anyway so I don't want it to go into standby while the TV is on.

Most important of these for me is the 2nd point. I lost hours searching for a way to force the sound signal to go through the optical cable instead of the HDMI ARC.

Last edited:
4.1 In Audio settings, sound effects, try out Dolby Speaker Virtualizer. It disables all the sony presets(cinema, music, game, etc.), but to me it sounds better on all sources (stereo, lpcm 5.1, lpcm 7.1 and netflix dolby atmos).

I agree. This setting is not well documented. The choices are "off", "sound mode" and "Dolby Speaker Virtualizer". The Dolby option sounds very natural whilst still giving good panning separation and clear dialogue. I found the Virtual Surround and other sound modes couldn't get a good balance between these.

Hi, I've owned this soundbar for a couple of years and have always had my Sky Q box connected directly to my Sony TV and used the ARC channel as I had a blu-ray player directly connected to the soundbar.

As I hardly ever use the blu-ray player anymore I thought I would connect the Sky Q box directly into the soundbar's HDMI port.

This works fine for a while then occasionally when I turn everything on the soundbar reports that there is no signal coming from the HDMI port. I have to reboot the Sky Q box for it to start working again. Which as you can tell is quite annoying as it takes a good 5-10mins.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue or if anyone would know why this is happening? When the Sky Q box was directly connected to the TV I never had this issue with the TV reporting no signal.

Dan.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom