SONY HT ST 5000 owners

I have read somewhere on in this thread (it was a while back and can't find it again) that there is a way to hook up rear speakers (wireless) by using the spidif/optical out on the sound bar and use a set of rear wireless speakers? does any have this setup and what is the best way to set these up?

Thank you

Check out my post 385 on here somewhere...

Hi,

I am really interested in those wireless rear speakers and I was wondering if you could assist me with the following questions:

1) You mentioned that you have connected your Sky box via optical to the speaker receiver and i assume HDMI to the st5000. Is that a Sky HD box or Sky Q? Do you have to adjust any settings on the Sky box to acheive audio out from both optical and HDMI?

2) I have a Nvidia Shield which I am using to play some Atmos files but it doesn't have optical out (which is a same). Another user has been using an Oppo BD player to have both Atmos and rear speakers working at the same time. ATV 4K which I have been planning to purchase for Netflix and movies with Atmos does not have optical out either. Have you managed to identify any other source that can achieve that? For example, LG OLED TVs support Atmos with Netflix. I was wondering if that would work (Netflix of mkv with Atmos). Would it possible to test this with your TV?

3) You have mentioned that there are 2 power supplies with those speakers. Is one needed for the Tx and another for the Rx where the speakers are connected to? Do you connect the speakers to the Rx via typical speaker cables?

Thank you

Hi matey, just logged back in and saw your questions.. Sorry fir the very very late reply . I'll answer as best I can from memory as it was a while when I set my unit up..

1. I am using SKY Q and I don't believe I had to adjust any settings. I'm sure I have it set to Dolby Digital or similar.
2. My LG TV can play MKV files. However I have noticed that there is no rear sound when playing these. It could just be the way they have been encoded.
3. Netflix works beautifully from the LG itself. I get rear sound coming through nice and crisp. It does have hiccups and it's not perfect but as I said I can live with those..
4. With regards to the two poor bricks, one is for the TX and the other for the RX. The rear speakers are connected to the RX via speaker cables.

My 2 cents....

I've had my bar for nigh on 2 years now. I still believe it's one of the best sounding bars out there. The sound is crips and it's damn well loud too and sometimes the ATMOS affects work nicely. Obviously bar placement is paramount and it's suited to square placements as opposed to a corner placement. I do still get sync issues with the sub but you know what I can live with that.They happen infrequently. It's a shame there is no direct wired connection available to the sub as that would have eliminated that issue straightaway. I guess I can move the sub to another corner of the room out of sight. My recent sync issue was when I used the PSVR unit. I have the PSVR decoder box next to the sub so that was causing some sort of interference with the wireless connection.

Do I miss a separates system? Not really. The house is not cluttered and I don't need a gazillion remotes....

Hello
I have questions to you which version of Chromecast built-in is installed on yours devices? I got the latest firmware instaled and chromecast built-in version is 1.21.76349. Its too old.
And i have problem with TIDAL HiFi application i can not cast music form newest Tidal app for android to my HT-ST5000 because since that TIDAL support cast verion 1.36.159268 or higher. confirmed by TIDAL SUPPORT)

Its really bad if there is not any opportunity to update that and soundbar for like 1k US is not support the newest version of TIDAL app.

I've just started using Philips Hue lighting in the house and it seems that the secure link to the sub keeps loosing it's connection intermittently. Has anyone else noticed this? ?I'll change the sub settings later tonight to see if it resolves the issue. It's a shame there is no hardwire cable for the sub as a backup option!. Very bad design thinking from Sony!

I've just started using Philips Hue lighting in the house and it seems that the secure link to the sub keeps loosing it's connection intermittently. Has anyone else noticed this? ?I'll change the sub settings later tonight to see if it resolves the issue. It's a shame there is no hardwire cable for the sub as a backup option!. Very bad design thinking from Sony!

I also have the Hub no problems with Sub disconnecting even when not using the secure channel.

I have had the bar for about two years. This week it no longer displays the inputs on the home page, just the background. I have unplugged several times. I have reset using power and - for 5 seconds several times as I can’t get to the settings menu to reset from user interface. It will switch inputs, but no way to get to setup screen now so I can’t reconnect subwoofer. Any one ever experienced this?
image.jpg

I have had the bar for about two years. This week it no longer displays the inputs on the home page, just the background. I have unplugged several times. I have reset using power and - for 5 seconds several times as I can’t get to the settings menu to reset from user interface. It will switch inputs, but no way to get to setup screen now so I can’t reconnect subwoofer. Any one ever experienced this?
After posting. I tried holding power and music service. Then power and Bluetooth. Not sure what activates the easy setup menu, I was then able to get everything back working. The magic of avforums.

That's really bizarre... I've not seen this happen before, maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere.... good to know it's been sorted..

I also have the Hub no problems with Sub disconnecting even when not using the secure channel.

It's been happening quite frequently to be frank and it's starting to annoy me now.... I've changed to secure link on, 5.2 and channel 2 now. I'll see what happens with those settings... Something is defiently interfering with the signals on the 5.8 setting though.. I may move the sub to another location though away from the TV, PS4, Sky box etc and see what affect that has.....

Hi all, I was hoping for some help. I bought this unit at auction, it looked in decent condition with a couple of scratches, however I can’t get it to produce any sound.

I hooked it up via ARC to my TV, the sub is on green (and later tested in secure link at steady orange), and it’s not muted etc. I can hear a hiss if I press my ear to the speakers, so the unit is drawing power. However it just doesn’t make any noise - no test tones, nothing by Spotify connect, on either the bar or the sub.

I managed to get it to output Spotify via HDMI to the TV and then through Aux to my old sound bar, so the audio signal is definitely there, it’s just not coming out of the on board speakers or sub. I tried disconnecting all HDMI cables and playing via Analog, and all permutations I can think of.

I’ve reset everything to factory defaults, but still no joy. Am I missing anything obvious, or is it a dead unit? If the latter, what’s Sony’s repair process like?

Cheers!
Just as an update, I got it repaired - the amp had gone.

The repair shop forgot to send back the sub, so the first time I’m hearing this unit is without it. And I’m pretty underwhelmed. It sounds worse than my £100 Roth soundbar, to the point where I thought the audio was coming from my TVs inbuilt speakers. I guess it’s just very tinny in comparison, which was surprising from a unit so large.

Does the sub improve things that dramatically?

Edit: To answer my own question again, yes. It does.

Last edited:
Is there any way to turn the display off mine constantly displays TV

Hello there you experts!

Just got my second HT-ST5000 a couple days ago and have some problems you guys maybe can help me with.

My setup is:

PC with Gforce 1080TI - HDMI to soundbar(HDMI1) - Soundbar ARC to samsung Q8FN.
The pc(Win 10) has "dolby access" app installed to get the dolby atmos experience.
Now to the problem:
Since yesterday, there have been 3 distortions. When i start a youtubevideo(in chrome) the soundbar goes bananas.. Loud static noise that sounds horrible. It doesnt end until i close chrome. But i start like 100 youtubeclips a day. so it is random when i happens..

The wierd thing is this. i had the same problem with first HT-TS5000(couple of months ago) that i sent for repair. they couldnt fix it so got the money back. So the odds that i get two broken soundbars seems not likely, so it something with my computer that makes this problem? I will first try to change browser and see if it gets better.

Is there any of you who can relate or have some tips?
I dont want to send back another one if the problem is on my part..

Cheers
Sunken

Hello there you experts!

Just got my second HT-ST5000 a couple days ago and have some problems you guys maybe can help me with.

My setup is:

PC with Gforce 1080TI - HDMI to soundbar(HDMI1) - Soundbar ARC to samsung Q8FN.
The pc(Win 10) has "dolby access" app installed to get the dolby atmos experience.
Now to the problem:
Since yesterday, there have been 3 distortions. When i start a youtubevideo(in chrome) the soundbar goes bananas.. Loud static noise that sounds horrible. It doesnt end until i close chrome. But i start like 100 youtubeclips a day. so it is random when i happens..

The wierd thing is this. i had the same problem with first HT-TS5000(couple of months ago) that i sent for repair. they couldnt fix it so got the money back. So the odds that i get two broken soundbars seems not likely, so it something with my computer that makes this problem? I will first try to change browser and see if it gets better.

Is there any of you who can relate or have some tips?
I dont want to send back another one if the problem is on my part..

Cheers
Sunken
You may check your 5G WiFi and test with different channel. I also get loud static and sub lost connection intermittently until I manually lock the 5G WiFi to channel 149.
There is a latest firmware 0445 just got released yesterday and says has improvement to sub connectivity. Probably will fix your issue.

I replaced my Netgear Orbi a long time ago after getting frustrated with the popping issues and wonder if this update fixes it as it specifically mentions "Improved connectivity with wireless subwoofer". Would be very interested to see if anyone here has been able to test it.

Can someone check version of the Chromecast built-in? They updated it with new firmware or not? i would be glad for that.

So - I saw then information about the latest firmware update and decided to update, just the other day. I now have more drop outs with the woofer than I had before ?????

An unrelated issue is that each time I go direct into the device I get the "easy set up" message which is a pain.

Hi all,

Just noticed, something on the Sony website about the latest update

"Enables Multi-room Group Sync"

Does this mean it is now possible to add rear speakers to this sound-bar? If so which ones can we add?

For example, would the wireless read speaker for HT-Z9F work with HT-ST5000 ?

Wondered if anyone has tried the update and managed to get any rear speakers to work ?

Curious to hear thoughts

So - I saw then information about the latest firmware update and decided to update, just the other day. I now have more drop outs with the woofer than I had before ?????

An unrelated issue is that each time I go direct into the device I get the "easy set up" message which is a pain.

To add to my woes the Soundbar now drops the labelling on the HDMIs daily and drops the HDMI settings from Enhanced to Standard at the same time. Despite having the Soundbar for a few years now I am now of the view I would never spend £1500 again on a SONY sounder. For a flagship product it has become a shambles.

Does anyone use this with a Linksys Velop mesh WiFi system? For some reason now when I switch on the bar it connects to the parent node, which is at the other end of the house, rather than the child node which is right next to it. This is then killing the child node for some reason, stopping connectivity.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom