SONY HT ST 5000 owners

who ever had it before you must have got the wrong idea when it said plug your optical cable in lol
I'm not allowed rear speakers so I'm stuck with something like this. Just want something that works now... Lot of money to spend on something for it to be second hand

It shouldn’t be second hand but looks like you may have been given one that’s been returned or the guys in your local richer sounds have been having party’s in the stockroom lol

It shouldn’t be second hand but looks like you may have been given one that’s been returned or the guys in your local richer sounds have been having party’s in the stockroom lol
Haha it was full of dust... Not being funny but if you spend 1300 quid on a soundbar you expect it not to be full of dust and have hairs on it 😂😂

BTW everyone if you're tv doesn't support eArc then don't have the eArc setting on... My b7v PQ is so much better with it off

Guys I really need a hand tonight..
Brand new bar opened and installed tonight.
I'm having massive issues trying to connect the sub... Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've tried changing all of the rf settings and have reset the bar etc etc nothings worked. I've pressed the secure link button on the back of the bar and then through the pairing process..again nothing. I'm sick of my life with three hours of my life wasted..can anyone help with this? Cheers

Last edited:
Guys I really need a hand tonight..
Brand new bar opened and installed tonight.
I'm having massive issues trying to connect the sub... Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've tried changing all of the rf settings and have reset the bar etc etc nothings worked. I've pressed the secure link button on the back of the bar and tan through the pairing process..again nothing. I'm sick of my life with three hours of my life wasted..can anyone help with this? Cheers
You may have some kind of RF interference blocking it Dave

I've shut off everything and it's still happening Terry ... May change some router settings and see.. So frustrating.
Update: It's annoyingly still not connecting no matter what I do. It should just connect automatically but it doesn't... I've tried all rf settings and changing everything possible. Still the same.😭

Last edited:
I've shut off everything and it's still happening Terry ... May change some router settings and see.. So frustrating.
Update: It's annoyingly still not connecting no matter what I do. It should just connect automatically but it doesn't... I've tried all rf settings and changing everything possible. Still the same.😭
Are there any lights showing on the sub Dave ? Is it connected but no sound ? Check You haven’t got night mode enabled or something like that

Are there any lights showing on the sub Dave ? Is it connected but no sound ? Check You haven’t got night mode enabled or something like that
Mate I've had a heck of a day... Took it to RS morning who went through it with a fine tooth comb... And did exactly what I'd tried with all of the settings. Totally dud... They thought it was the bar and not the sub as they tried the sub from the other one that I'd returned. Nothing else suitable for me unfortunately so I received a refund and was going to consider separates. I went shopping with the wife and went into JL later today and there was a Samsung hw n850 bar there which was open box priced at 699. Cutting a long story short I ended up getting it price matched for 600 so I'm over the moon. The cables and remote were sealed..all in perfect condition... So I've saved myself 700 quid 👌👌👌👍👍😂

That’s excellent news Dave I was going to suggest that maybe you got the same bar as me I’ve had no problems so far .The hw n850 is very similar you should be happy with this one hopefully👍😁

That’s excellent news Dave I was going to suggest that maybe you got the same bar as me I’ve had no problems so far .The hw n850 is very similar you should be happy with this one hopefully👍😁
You are a legend terry... I love your setup.. The expensive sub haha love it. I'm really enjoying it...very very good sound..

does the hw n850 come with a sub Dave ? or do you have to fork out more money for it like I did lol

does the hw n850 come with a sub Dave ? or do you have to fork out more money for it like I did lol
Comes with a great sounding sub... It's on offer atm at prc direct ... 600...bargain for an Atmos bar like this

That’s a great deal Dave I hope you’ve found your forever sound bar now 👍😎
Fingers crossed... I'm in the new forum lol.. They are miserable in this one.. Too much money to spend on bars 😂😂😂👌👍

Hey everyone hoping to get some insight here.

I've had my HT-ST5000 for almost two years. Right when the warranty expired (of course) I was getting this hissing/distortion from left most driver on the center section. It was strange, it was very noticeable, but if you put your finger on the speaker it went away.

After about 8 months of looking for replacement parts since I refused to send it out, I found them. I replaced the speaker yesterday (which by the way was an incredible pain, especially since I've never done this lol), and its now is 95% better. Come to find out another speaker is also bad, though not as bad, its still noticeable during some voice dialogue in movies. It's now the left most speaker, the one with the cross hatch on it. I find it hard to believe that two speakers on a $1500 sound bar have went bad in a years time, when I rarely ever blast this thing. My $300 sharp is still working perfectly in my other room that I've had for years.

Is there something on my end causing this? Software/Fireware - balance settings? Or is this a common issue?

I was getting this hissing/distortion from left most driver on the center section.

Is there something on my end causing this? Software/Fireware - balance settings? Or is this a common issue?

I only experience this on loud volumes (when watching say a BluRay movie) tend to find it's occurs later on in a movie to the speaker to the right of the center on mine. So it's hard to reproduce from cold. A tap around the edges of the speaker resolves the problem. When at quieter volumes (less than 20) l don't have an issue.

Someone else here had the same issue.

Hey everyone hoping to get some insight here.

I've had my HT-ST5000 for almost two years. Right when the warranty expired (of course) I was getting this hissing/distortion from left most driver on the center section. It was strange, it was very noticeable, but if you put your finger on the speaker it went away.

After about 8 months of looking for replacement parts since I refused to send it out, I found them. I replaced the speaker yesterday (which by the way was an incredible pain, especially since I've never done this lol), and its now is 95% better. Come to find out another speaker is also bad, though not as bad, its still noticeable during some voice dialogue in movies. It's now the left most speaker, the one with the cross hatch on it. I find it hard to believe that two speakers on a $1500 sound bar have went bad in a years time, when I rarely ever blast this thing. My $300 sharp is still working perfectly in my other room that I've had for years.

Maybe try a surge protector on your socket...on amazon..ten gbp and it stops any spikes and surges..I've got them on all of my kit. Better dave than sorry

Are there any rear wireless speakers for this yet?
This is precisely what I was going to ask. There have been some rumors but they might simply have been wishful thinking on behalf of owners. Certainly a very popular wish, though and I am one of those wishing.

Hi all, I was hoping for some help. I bought this unit at auction, it looked in decent condition with a couple of scratches, however I can’t get it to produce any sound.

I hooked it up via ARC to my TV, the sub is on green (and later tested in secure link at steady orange), and it’s not muted etc. I can hear a hiss if I press my ear to the speakers, so the unit is drawing power. However it just doesn’t make any noise - no test tones, nothing by Spotify connect, on either the bar or the sub.

I managed to get it to output Spotify via HDMI to the TV and then through Aux to my old sound bar, so the audio signal is definitely there, it’s just not coming out of the on board speakers or sub. I tried disconnecting all HDMI cables and playing via Analog, and all permutations I can think of.

I’ve reset everything to factory defaults, but still no joy. Am I missing anything obvious, or is it a dead unit? If the latter, what’s Sony’s repair process like?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi, has anyone connected a turntable to this unit, if so what's the sound like? I'm looking at connecting the Sony bluetooth version TIA

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom