Sony HT-SF1200 vs. Samsung HT-TZ315 vs. Philips HTS-3568 - Please Help Me Chosing One

sunz123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Let me start with informating you ,that I don't know much ABOUT SOUNDSPECIFICATIONS AND SURROUND SYSTTEMS.

Because I own a 42" LCD TV and a HD DVD Player (That's right, I haven't switched to Blu-ray yet...because still have a lot of HD DVD's I haven't watched :D), i need a Surround System in order to complete my Home Cinema.

I have researched about Surround System's at my budget (I live in Denmark so the choice is limited), and I found these three models which all have an total output of 1000 and matches my budget :)

The three Systems are:

Sony HT-SF1200
Samsung HT-TZ315 (supports True HD)
Philips HTS-3568 (supports True HD)

I have noticed that the Sony dosen't support True HD, which HD DVD audio is encorded with.
But I don't know anything about it, so I am not sure how good TrueHD sound is.
Just a last info: I am GOING TO USE HDMI for the sound and NOT 5.1 or 2.0 Analogue sound.

Can you guys PLEASE help me chosing one of those Surround Systems?

I hope I get some answers and can decide which one to buy before this friday, so I can enjoy my movies soon with Surround System soon...

Thank you in advance

SUNZ

Last edited:
right,first off..neither the philips nor the samsung, are anywhere near 1000w - thats just pure marketing spin.
out of the 3 of them, in real world terms, the sony is the most powerful(and thats not near 1000w either).

also,neither the samsung, nor the philips supports tru-HD,and neither has the capability to accept audio through hdmi,as neither has any hdmi inputs, so you would be looking to use optical or analogue for audio with them.

the only one out of the 3,that has hdmi in/out, is the sony(you might also look for the HT-SS/F 1300), and as long as your hd dvd player can decode tru-HD/HD formats,then you can use that for the converted audio to be fed to the hdmi as PCM.

if your hd-dvd player cannot decode the HD audio formats,and can only feed tru-HD,etc out through hdmi,then you are looking to spend even more,on a system that has internal decoding,like onkyo,etc.

Thank you very much "RottenFox" for your answer.

As you advised me to, I went for the Sony HT-SF1200. I got it this week, but only tried it today.

And it sounds BRILLIANT. I must say: I have never heart anything like this, except in the movie theaters.

Sound though HDMI is really good and the Sony HT-SF1200 does a very good job. Besides the Sony HT-SF1200 is also good looking and I din't really spend a lot of money on it (actually it was cheap), so I am defently happy with it:)

The first movie I saw, was King Kong on HD DVD. It sounds great. I mean really good in some particulair scenes. After I saw "Need for Speed: Tokyo Drift" and the sound was fine also.

But HD DVD's TrueHD sound dosen't really sound better than normal DVD's, because what really "BLEW-ME-AWAY" was I-Robot on Standard DVD. Some of the actionscenes was so fantastic. Specially explostions and gunshots sounds great and it was hard for me to keep sitting still in the chair.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with all of you. I might also post a new thread as a review. Right now, I have a bit headache after I-Robot, because the sound was actually pretty loud (volume: 36)

SUNZ

Can the Sony HT-SF1200/1300 speakers be taken of their stands and wall mounted or will i need to get the SS version?

Can the Sony HT-SF1200/1300 speakers be taken of their stands and wall mounted or will i need to get the SS version?

Yes, they defently can be wall mounted. Also the stands and the speakers are not together from start. There is also an instruction in the manual, on how to wall mount them ;)

I hope you get the Sony Sony HT-SF1200, because it's really a great buy for the value ;)

Thank you very much "RottenFox" for your answer.

As you advised me to, I went for the Sony HT-SF1200. I got it this week, but only tried it today.

And it sounds BRILLIANT. I must say: I have never heart anything like this, except in the movie theaters.

Sound though HDMI is really good and the Sony HT-SF1200 does a very good job. Besides the Sony HT-SF1200 is also good looking and I din't really spend a lot of money on it (actually it was cheap), so I am defently happy with it:)

The first movie I saw, was King Kong on HD DVD. It sounds great. I mean really good in some particulair scenes. After I saw "Need for Speed: Tokyo Drift" and the sound was fine also.

But HD DVD's TrueHD sound dosen't really sound better than normal DVD's, because what really "BLEW-ME-AWAY" was I-Robot on Standard DVD. Some of the actionscenes was so fantastic. Specially explostions and gunshots sounds great and it was hard for me to keep sitting still in the chair.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with all of you. I might also post a new thread as a review. Right now, I have a bit headache after I-Robot, because the sound was actually pretty loud (volume: 36)

SUNZ

Sunz, you think IRobot sounded good? Wait 'till you hear Saving Private Ryan (DTS)!

Oh.My.God. :eek:

Yes, they defently can be wall mounted. Also the stands and the speakers are not together from start. There is also an instruction in the manual, on how to wall mount them ;)

I hope you get the Sony Sony HT-SF1200, because it's really a great buy for the value ;)

Yea i noticed it on total digital for £215 inc delivery, looks really nice. Can this recieve audio over hdmi with ps3?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom