Sony HT-SF1200 My review (Amp packaged with HTD-870RSF)

I like a bit of bass but had to turn it down to +2. Centre speaker is +5 and rears at +5 (I think). Sweet dreams about your new player lol:rotfl:. Make sure you let us know how you get on:thumbsup:

I used auto cal but then found I needed to
Drop the SubWoof down a few notches
Increase the level to the rear a couple of notches,

Hi, I have read alot of this Thread and was wondering if anyone has bought the HTSF1200 recently?

I have looked all over the web and cant find anywhere that sells it! I was going to pay £255 for it from ForestFly.com (Even though i think you could get if for £205 at one point). But they have come back saying it is actually out of stock.

You can get the HTSF1300 & HTSF2000 still but these are much more expensive (Especially compared to the £205 you used to be able to get the 1200 for) and from what I have read they are pretty much the same.

So the questions are:
1) Is the HTSF1200 still avaliable anywhere?
2) If not is it worth paying £300 for the HTSF1300 or is there something better for the extra money over the HTSF1200.

Thanks,
Steve

just wanted to let you guys know that my, ht-ss1300 has finally arrived!
I´ve only had time to try it out briefly due to other obligations...

so far so good... will try it out more over the next week.
i´ll keep you posted.

/ PriPPs

Hi all,

Little while since I posted on here but I need some advice again!

I have the ht-sf1200 set up in my living room.

Upstairs I have an iMac computer.

Now I have just discovered the Spotify website which lets you listen to music for free over the internet.

My question is - what is the best way to connect the iMac with the ht-sf1200? Is this possible so that I can have the music from spotify playing in the living room?

I have a PS3 in the living room if that is any use?

Thanks

Mark

Iv never used a mac before but on normal computers you can use tVersity to send music from PC to PS3.

Thanks.

I have seen that mentioned before. But Spotify doesn't store music on your computer - it streams it from the internet. Don't know if it is then possible to send it by something like tversity to the PS3 at the same time.

Was wondering if there was some sort of wireless thing that might be able to connect the two so that I can have all the tunes from Spotify playing out of my nice speakers downstairs???

Last edited:
Hmm, I just had a look at that spotify, never heard of it before looks cool. Found this on some Sweedish website, might be of some help:

Game:
The latest generation of game consoles and many other media players are equipped with the function to play media from a UPnP server. Some UPnP servers such as TVersity can also connect to the internet radio and streaming music to further your game console (or media player, or computer. To use this function, your game console to support UPnP, and it requires some software on your computer with Spotify.
• Configure your sound card so that the "stereo mix" or similar is to choose which input device. Alternatively you can use Virtual Audio Cable to connect your line out to line-in without cables. In the worst case, it is possible to use a 3.5mm stereo male-male between the sound card's line-out and line-in jack.
• Install the SHOUTcast DNAS server or Icecast. Change password for higher security (shoutcast use "changeme" by default).
• Install (Winamp + SHOUTcast Radio DSP plug-in) OR edcast stand alone. Configure program to stream audio from your line-in device (such as the stereo mix) to the radio server, if it works will dB-meter on the move in time with the music. Set the program to stream audio as mp3 in the desired bitrate. Make private stream (avbocka audience), enter password and connect to the radio server. Try to connect to the server ( "http://localhost:8000/" on shoutcast DNAS).
• Installing the UPnP Server that can connect to webradiokanaler (eg TVersity) and add your radio ( "internet audio" on TVersity). For shoutcast DNAS is the address "http://localhost:8000/listen.pls".
• Start the game or media player and connect to the UPnP server
It requires a lot of work, can not use the control pad to change the song (but you can use the wireless controller to your computer with spotify), the sound may be a delay of 7-15 seconds, but it works well and you can play music from spotify on your game (preferably connected to your home theater). At some point I experienced a rather brutal echo, but it disappeared when I started and made a new attempt. Start the game console last to minimize the delay. If something hangs and the delay becomes too great, restart the UPnP server and game and try again.

Doesnt make much sense to me lol:D

Cheers.

Most of that went over my head though!

My brain just switches off if there aren't separate paragraphs... It just turns into a block of "blah blah blah..." :D

Absolutley loving the htsf1200 now, but i think i may not have it setup completely correct..When i go to audio options on PS3 and then automatic setup... the PS3 auto matically chooses 43MGZ (i think) but only 2LPM?? (only 2 options ticked).When i attempt to do it manually to select 43MGZ 5.1 it lets me do it, but then the surround speakers behing my head dont work :S I fear i have done sumit wrong. What options does your ps3 choose automatically when you goto the same thing? does it tick 5.1 automatically cuz mine only chooses LPM 2 options. Im paranoid iv hit something on my amp control that may have affected this?

It sounds like when you're doing auto on the ps3's sound set up, that it's configuring itself for output to a tv - hence the 2ch pcm options only (most tv's can only take stereo).

This may be because you have your amp set to "amp & tv". This setting is for when you want audio from your tv.

Go into the amp menu, and change it to "amp".
6.VIDEO > AUDIO > AMP

Then redo your ps3 sound settings - it should select 5.1ch pcm options, as well as 2ch pcm, dd, dts, and some other stuff. :smashin:

sorted cheers fella, spot on advice.

Hi everyone,

Just got this system (HTSF1200) firstly I have to say I’m a little disappointed.:thumbsdow
Does'nt sound as good as i expected, (not as good as my now spare Tosihba SD-HK44)well not to my ears. So not to happy.
Any how i have it set up with my PS3, Panasonic EX77 & my old ntl pace 4010
set top box (which does'nt have any audio out). So i've connected the ntl via the ex77, i can get the pic but no sound threw the amp ( although the sound works when i play back a recording from the ex77) Any ideas ?

Thanks

Ok im having a very confusing problem that seems to have just started happening.I like play music through my PS3 > HTSF1200...Over the last week though the amp has decided to only play my music through 2 speakers and it was working perfectly the week before through all 5!I have checked to make sure the 5.1 is working my playing a ps3 game which works perfectly through all speakers (changed output to LCM on PS3 options).Its just music cd's... iv changed output to bitstream but it still doesnt work through all 5 speakers (only 2) and the amp effects say 'not used' when i attempt to change the sound efffects to hall (or whatever). Basically the amp wont play my music through the 5 speakers and it is highly annoying.Please help, it was working perfectly till a week ago :S Very confusing

It sounds like it's outputting LPCM - so as the cd's 2ch it is sending that to the amp. You can't use prologic as that's disabled when it receives multich LPCM.

Try changing its output to bitstream over hdmi (video settings) and redoing your sound settings - you should then be able to use prologic / multi stereo etc on the amp.

Remember to change it back to LPCM for blu rays, so you get the hd audio. :smashin:

still no worky :( any other suggestions? games work fine so why the fork dont cds argghhh!

still no worky :( any other suggestions? games work fine so why the fork dont cds argghhh!

Firstly I don't really understand why you'd want to do this as music is recorded in stereo and the PS3 does an amazing job up-sampling CD's to 176khz PCM over HDMI (You need to change settings to enable this, plus adjust the 'bitmapping' to 'Type 3' for best results imo when upsampling).
If the Amp is saying 'Not Used' then it's because your inputting PCM to the 1200. You have to look at your PS3 settings again. Re-do your PS3 audio to output Bitstream over HDMI and de-select any stereo modes. This should work, but, like I said you should sample the delights of CD's at 176khz before you change it!

Last edited:
Hi WW, i simply want the sound to come through all 5 speakers and it wont let me anyway i try, what setting to do you use on your PS3 to enable the best sound through 5 speakers IYO? Once iv got the cd playing through my ps3, through 5 speakrs i will ne happy lol biutstream or PCM Thanks mate.

Hi WW, i simply want the sound to come through all 5 speakers and it wont let me anyway i try, what setting to do you use on your PS3 to enable the best sound through 5 speakers IYO? Once iv got the cd playing through my ps3, through 5 speakrs i will ne happy lol biutstream or PCM Thanks mate.

8ball, unfortunately I'm away from home at the moment so can't have a play, maybe some other forum members can experiment a little to see what results they get? Have you done everything mentioned in my above post?
As far as what sound I use is concerned I only want 2 channel playback from my CD's, so I'm very happy with the PCM 176khz upscale using bitmapping 'Type 3' (I also find the sound very 'room filling' setup like this).

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling this could be the problem... With a HDMI connection the PS3 upsamples all CD's from 44.1khz to 48khz and sends this info via PCM to the reciever, so you have to somehow stop the PS3 doing this.
Again this is from a vague memory, but worth some research on your part... Try changing the Audio CD output frequency (Under 'Music Settings'?) to 44.1/88.2/176.4 Then, go setup your audio setting again, this time unticking any frequency higher than 44.1 this should technically force 44.1khz from CD's which can be bitstreamed then have Pro-Logic decoding applied to it.

It's worth doing a bit of the 'ol googling aswell to see if this problem has been faced by others.
Lastly, there is one other alternative and that's just burn your CD's to the HDD at a decent bitrate (192kbps + in AAC) and just play them from that, again sent to the reciever via bitstream.
Hope this goes somewhere for you! :thumbsup:

is this sony HTSF1200 (Aka HTSF2000) have x.v. Colour support?

is this sony HTSF1200 (Aka HTSF2000) have x.v. Colour support?

No.

It would seem it's just a marketing term in all reality - Nothing that has it looks any better or worse than a panel without it according to various forums. The reason?
No current consumer content source has it anyway... Unless of course, you have access to 10bit colour source files - which most people don't. What about X.V. colour camcorders connected via 1.3 HDMI? Well from what I can gather the storage facilities on the camera itself cannot save a higher depth than 8bit-per-colorprimary. Even the CCD's they have are only 8 bit i think... So, I assume they're 'faking it' somehow?
The fact is even if you have an X.V. colour enabled Blu Ray player/amp/TV etc. There is still no physical media i.e. Blu Ray discs's recorded with this wider colour Gamut on the market at this point in time.
Maybe in the future you'll see BD discs displaying 'special X.V. colour edition' releases.

For now it's worth mentioning that a film's colour range is normally in the region of 100,000's, not even 1 million colours, nevermind X.V's billions! :D

Last edited:
Just want to say thanks, I had bit of a puzzle with my HT-SF2300 not playing back DD or DTS. I found the clue in your thread. I had initially set video / audio for hdmi to AMP but it looks like in certain circumstances, not yet identified, the setting is being changed to TV+AMP.

:clap:

Just want to say thanks, I had bit of a puzzle with my HT-SF2300 not playing back DD or DTS. I found the clue in your thread. I had initially set video / audio for hdmi to AMP but it looks like in certain circumstances, not yet identified, the setting is being changed to TV+AMP.

:clap:

No problems. :smashin:

Strange one this, happened to quite a few of us!

Got this system yesterday (with out the DVD player) love it so far. What setting do you guys use for watching normal TV? E.g, football

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom