• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony HT-SF/SS 100 Amp decoding formats

.Lethal

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm trying to set up my PS3 to my amp, it's all wired fine - no problems there.

However after I selected to receive audio via Optical Cable the PS3 is asking me which methods of audio my amp accepts.

The PS3 is asking if it can accept the following:

Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch. = Yes
DTS 5.1 Ch = Yes
AAC = No idea!
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 KHz = No idea!
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 KHz = No idea!
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 176.4 KHz = No idea!
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 KHz = No idea!

I would have expected to be able to find out in the manual but all it says regarding PCM is make sure you can set this if you can, but how do I know if my amp can accept all 4 above? On the Sony website it lists "96k / 24Bit PCM" and "LPCM (2ch / 5.1ch) thru"

As for AAC according to Wiki it was part developed by Sony, so I would expect my Sony amp to accept this method but once again, I cant find any info on it :thumbsdow

Can someone please help!

The offical Sony site to the Cinema System: HT-SF100 (HTSF100) : Home Cinema and Hifi : Sony

EDIT: Apparently HDMI is better than Optical for audio output on the PS3 which I also have connected to my amp from the PS3. That gave me even more PCM choices as well as the above.

Now this PCM malarky is really confusing.

Second Edit: OK after looking more online it looks like the 24bit/96khz thing means the amp can accept anything up to 96khz in 2.1 and 5.1 channels. I guess that answers my question and since there is still nothing on AAC I guess that will remain a mystery.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom