Question Sony HT- RT5

Scott76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on this as it seems to be the only half decent 5.1 soundbar at a reasonable price.
I'm looking to buy one or trade for my pioneer receiver,Yamaha sub and kef eggs as its a clutter in the bedroom and I'm sick of having to get up to turn sub on etc,I Believe the RT5 are much more user friendly turning off when the TV is turned off etc and having wireless sub etc.
I'm aware it won't be amazing but it doesn't need to be as I have a full XTZ cinema setup in a dedicated room so just looking for a user friendly space saving soundbar with rears for the bedroom.
Would love to hear anyone's views or anyone who fancies a trade etc.

I bought this setup recently for my folks, purely for ease of control off one Sony remote, as they need things to be simple to use. It's setup in their fairly large living room, and the wireless nature of all the speakers was a real plus, all they require is a power point each and with a long cable can be positioned well. Setup was a breeze and the plug in microphone for auto adjust was even fairly accurate when it chose it's own distances. This isn't a hugely loud soundbar, I even had it cranked full volume without upsetting my father. Yes I know I should have bedded in the speakers gently, however it was that quiet, at first. After exercising it a few times the sub came alive and going through the auto level setup showed it to be getting backed off. It's only been in a month now so I'll leave it to settle before a full review. I'm the meantime it ticks all the boxes for simplicity, quality build and I'm sure with tweaking I'll be able to make the effects steering a little more to my liking.
Hope this helps Scott76

Save your money. I have had two pack up on me in the last year. First one took so long to get repaired awaiting a main board that Curries replaced it with a brand new one. The second only lasted around three months before it needed (guess what) a new main board. It only lasted another two months before packing in again. I decided to cut my losses and have replaced it with a Samsung HW-K550. It does not produce 5.1 surround sound if that is important to you (although you can buy the optional speaker kit which gives a surround sound of sorts). So far impressed with the quality of sound which to my ears is at least on par with the Sony HT-RT5 which was decent when it worked. Incidentally although you can play about with the sound levels for the Sony HT-RT5 to try and get it to produce louder sound it was still quiet for some channels including Sky Cinema through a Virgin Box output (HDMI.) Blu-ray sound was fine. From looking at other internet forums sadly some users of the Sony HT-RT5 have had same problems. Good concept ruined for me by reliability problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom