Sony HT-RT4 surround speakers issue.

KodiaKro

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have an issue with my Sony HT-RT4 sound bar which is connected through HDMI ARC to a SONY KD-43XE8077 TV
The issue is that the sound bar seems to treat every audio signal as stereo. So, if I am listening to a stereo signal, then what I hear in the sound bar I also hear in the surround speakers, and this normal I believe. But if I play a 5.1 signal, then the surround speakers don't deliver any surround sounds (they just duplicate the sound bar, like in stereo mode, but at a much lower volume).
I have tried some YouTube 5.1/DTS sound tests, and when the left and right surround sounds are played, I don't hear anything. For the rest of the channels the sound is played properly.
The soundbar itself has a sound test mode, in which it plays some noise on each of the channels. This test works great, and I hear the noise on each of the surround speakers. This means that the wiring is done properly.

I have tried movies through Emby and Plex, through Netflix, from a hdd connected directly to the TV, and always the surround plays the soundbar signals.
I have tried 5.1 videos from YouTube from the TV itself and also from my PS5, the same result.
Somehow EVERYTHING seems to be treated as stereo signal and playback accordingly and I can't understand why :(

Try the game mode. Seems like every preset has a 'smart' way to play sound. Probably the movie sound setting will do the same. Music setting is placing sound focused on front. Also adjust distances. That's make 3d space. To have a decent listening sound for music (more bass) I increased the distances to 6 m for towers to avoid excessive volume in the sound bar (more volume on towers as sound bar is a crap sound) and using movie preset as seems to push more power to subwoofer. Anyway, Coming from an analog sound with speakers I'm really disappointed with this plastic sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom