• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony HT-IS100 Home Cinema system, best connection to sky hd?

JoeKidd

Standard Member
Hi all. I'm thinking of getting the Sony HT-IS100 home cinema system, just have a question re connection. The sony manual says the tv & the amp should be connected by the optical cable, and connection to sky should be via HDMI. However, the sky+hd manual says the optical cable should go from the sky box to the amp. Which is best for sound? Does it matter?
:suicide:

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Sky HD only outputs stereo over HDMI. For 5.1 surround you need to connect by optical from sky to your amp.

alllaw

Standard Member
Not great with the lingo guys, but ive got a HDMI cable from AMP (sony htsf1300) to SKY HD box and HDMI cable from samsung tv to AMP, is this correct for 5.1 or do i need a optical cable??

Thanks

allan

dwhite

Distinguished Member
stereo only over HDMI for Sky HD, you need the optical for 5.1

alllaw

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick reply, can you recomend a optical cable and price and ill order today, thanks allan

heathen666

Distinguished Member
I've just got a ht-is100, and have linked my sky hd box to it via optical and HDMI, but the display on the amp is saying PCM 2.0 Channel.

Are all the HD channels supposed to be in 5.1 or just the movie channels?? (which I don't get), just watched heroes on BBC HD and that was only in stereo.

I've configured the sky hd box under system settings - sound and have set the optical output to dolby d

So.. what am I doing wrong?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Not all HD channels give you the full 5.1 sound. However I think your problem maybe that the amp is taking the audio from HDMI. Try connecting the HDMI from sky straight to the TV and just using the optical to the amp.

YellowSphere

Not all HD channels give you the full 5.1 sound. However I think your problem maybe that the amp is taking the audio from HDMI. Try connecting the HDMI from sky straight to the TV and just using the optical to the amp.
Yup, this is the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom