Sony HT-G700 Soundbar Review & Comments

keithwiggins

Good review thanks, already showing online below £400 so makes it even better value.

Feels like it's missing a trick by not offering the wireless rears you can add to the HT-ZF9 or an internet connection for Spotify Connect/AirPlay2/Chromecast etc.

But then I guess if it did it would cost more and just be the HT-ZF9.

Feels ideal for a bedroom soundbar to be honest.

Ripper83

I think it’s IAE tricks work well but still disappointed by sub performance, on my second unit now but my old Sony ct-780 sub still has a lot more kick throughout the bass range.

currently weighing up whether to exchange it for a sonos beam.

StrikerXL

I own it for my smaller room in the house (mancave) and it's a very solid unit for the price!
Thanks for the review, Steve! 👍

spandexbullet

Bought it and returned it after a few days. Really poor IMHO. No audible room-filling output whatsoever. Sounds like a centre channel with the rest missing. Yes it can decode Atmos, but it can't output it. The bass is woeful with a horrible delay between the sub and bar which causes distortion. The sub crossover is almost non-existent. It puts out just about all the same mid-range frequencies as the front, including muffled dialogue. Bars of half the price without subs, sound better. A Sonos Beam also sounds infinitely better at this price.

stewarty

Novice Member
Does anyone know the best options to use for clearer dialogue?

I am currently using standard mode and voice on which should prioritise voice over other sounds but at times the dialogue can be really hard to hear, especially when people whisper and there is background music.

spandexbullet

Does anyone know the best options to use for clearer dialogue?

I am currently using standard mode and voice on which should prioritise voice over other sounds but at times the dialogue can be really hard to hear, especially when people whisper and there is background music.
I could not get it any clearer with any of the options. I did find that switching off the sub made things less muddled as the crossover is very high.

stewarty

Novice Member
I could not get it any clearer with any of the options. I did find that switching off the sub made things less muddled as the crossover is very high.
Ok, interesting point on the sub. Might give that a go.

I did raise this with Sony support and they wanted me to try some steps which I know won't make a difference like turning it off and on again and restoring default settings.

Unless they release an update to the firmware that lets you adjust the volume of the centre speaker independently.

Ripper83

Have you tried adjusting the sound settings on your tv? Do you know if it’s set to auto or PCM? Auto will output Dolby but on a 3.1 a lot of it can get muddied or lost with normal tv output. You won’t get full Dolby on PCM but it’s often clearer and fuller.

stewarty

Novice Member
Have you tried adjusting the sound settings on your tv? Do you know if it’s set to auto or PCM? Auto will output Dolby but on a 3.1 a lot of it can get muddied or lost with normal tv output. You won’t get full Dolby on PCM but it’s often clearer and fuller.
Changing my tv sound settings has made a moderate improvement. HDMI input was set to bitstream. I changed this to pcm and dialogue is clearer. It’s not an amazing difference but I’ll take it. Thanks.

Ripper83

Changing my tv sound settings has made a moderate improvement. HDMI input was set to bitstream. I changed this to pcm and dialogue is clearer. It’s not an amazing difference but I’ll take it. Thanks.
No worries, depending on the tv you have (I have Sony) there may be a Dolby dynamic range setting, changing mine from standard to compressed also makes a big difference.

Ripper83

So I did what I promised to myself I wouldn’t do earlier, I plugged my old Sony ht-ct780 back in for comparison.

Unfortunately to my ears my 5 year old unit sounded better, fuller and has a wider soundstage than the HT-G700.

Don’t get me wrong there’s not a massive difference but it really hit me that for all the bells and whistles of current soundbars that the sound quality really hasn’t advanced all that much in the last few years.

I upgraded as my sub had a horrible rattle after numerous toys being fed into it, can’t help but feel frustrated that I’ve spent quite a bit on something more modern when I may have been better off spending a fraction on just getting my sub repaired. :(

Omega Point

Novice Member
I upgraded from a Sony CT790 as I'll soon need eARC support & was having major HDMI switching issues with my 790 sometimes refusing to stay set on an input. My room is a rather awkward shape so side firing speakers wouldn't work well.

From playing around with the settings for the last week, I've noticed the following:
  • "Auto sound" seems to take ages to adjust so sudden changes from speech to music/effects causing it to lack any bass for 20-30 seconds. Manually going into "Cinema" for films helps out a lot and it no longer sounds like it's in a small box when the action starts after long sections of dialog. Not quite as much bass as from my CT-790 but still enough to feel rather than just hear.
  • IAE makes stereo stuff sound horrible, but works ok for 5.1 channel stuff
  • The Atmos tricks do work well in some cases, though I've only tried Game of Thrones so far which might not be the best test.

spandexbullet

I upgraded from a Sony CT790 as I'll soon need eARC support & was having major HDMI switching issues with my 790 sometimes refusing to stay set on an input. My room is a rather awkward shape so side firing speakers wouldn't work well.

From playing around with the settings for the last week, I've noticed the following:
  • "Auto sound" seems to take ages to adjust so sudden changes from speech to music/effects causing it to lack any bass for 20-30 seconds. Manually going into "Cinema" for films helps out a lot and it no longer sounds like it's in a small box when the action starts after long sections of dialog. Not quite as much bass as from my CT-790 but still enough to feel rather than just hear.
  • IAE makes stereo stuff sound horrible, but works ok for 5.1 channel stuff
  • The Atmos tricks do work well in some cases, though I've only tried Game of Thrones so far which might not be the best test.
A lot more patient and tolerant than me. I got tired of trying to find a better-sounding option in the weird menu system (and failing) and got rid of the damn thing. I am glad I did now. Do yourself a massive favour and just get a Sonos Beam or a used Playbar.

Ripper83

The problem is when you are in the shop it’s very hard to tell, I listened to both the Sony and the beam in store and the beam felt very weak without a sub. I’m sure it’s still very good as per the reviews but if you’re used to having a sub then you may find it a bit lacking.

Omega Point

Novice Member
A lot more patient and tolerant than me. I got tired of trying to find a better-sounding option in the weird menu system (and failing) and got rid of the damn thing. I am glad I did now. Do yourself a massive favour and just get a Sonos Beam or a used Playbar.
I knew it could sound good as it did by itself left to auto sometimes, so it was just a case of working out which it of the processing was messing it up.

The Beam & Playbar aren't suitable for me & the Arc is too expensive once a sub is factored in, especially given the supported input formats are extremely lacking.

Ripper83

I knew it could sound good as it did by itself left to auto sometimes, so it was just a case of working out which it of the processing was messing it up.

The Beam & Playbar aren't suitable for me & the Arc is too expensive once a sub is factored in, especially given the supported input formats are extremely lacking.
So for general tv use so you find auto/IAE off works best? I’ve found having it in PCM format as opposed to to auto 1/DD gives a fuller sound as some content becomes lossy in DD with tv

Omega Point

Novice Member
So for general tv use so you find auto/IAE off works best? I’ve found having it in PCM format as opposed to to auto 1/DD gives a fuller sound as some content becomes lossy in DD with tv
General TV (SkyQ set to Dolby Digital+) works best for me with IAE off but auto on, most content doesn't change often enough to trip up whatever system they use to work out which mode to use. Though any shows that have a lot of mixed content "Cinema" seems to work well, though need to try out "Standard" a little more.

For anything with a proper surround mix IAE can add some nice effects, but isn't perfect. Still deciding which I prefer, as most the the surround stuff I've been watching since I got it has been Atmos content anyway. Again need to do more experimentation to see if Cinema or Standard are better.

For Atmos stuff it seems to struggle if it has to add lots of Atmos effects over the top soundtrack heavy scene, but most of the time works well enough. Not tried out the different IAE modes yet, maybe the Dolby one would be better than Sony's own, I don't actually have much DTS:X content so wouldn't be a major loss.

I have the sub set to 12.

Leiloca

Novice Member
General TV (SkyQ set to Dolby Digital+) works best for me with IAE off but auto on, most content doesn't change often enough to trip up whatever system they use to work out which mode to use. Though any shows that have a lot of mixed content "Cinema" seems to work well, though need to try out "Standard" a little more.

For anything with a proper surround mix IAE can add some nice effects, but isn't perfect. Still deciding which I prefer, as most the the surround stuff I've been watching since I got it has been Atmos content anyway. Again need to do more experimentation to see if Cinema or Standard are better.

For Atmos stuff it seems to struggle if it has to add lots of Atmos effects over the top soundtrack heavy scene, but most of the time works well enough. Not tried out the different IAE modes yet, maybe the Dolby one would be better than Sony's own, I don't actually have much DTS:X content so wouldn't be a major loss.

I have the sub set to 12.
How do you find a sub, considering it's only 6"?

Leiloca

Novice Member
I’ll be honest I think the sub is poor, my old ct780 sub has a far better range and kick, it’s the real weak point.
Thank you, I`m back to the drawing board.

Was always worried with 6" sub to be honest. No point buying even this cheap if I want be happy with it.

Omega Point

Novice Member
How do you find a sub, considering it's only 6"?
Mine isn't too bad. Not as powerful as the one that came with my ct790 but powerful enough to feel from across the room in the right scenes. The auto mode does seem to have a tendency to reduce bass substantially if there are long sections without a lot of it, then take a while bring it back up.

Guess it depends the amount of bass you want, the one that was with the ct790 could rattle the glass in doors, but I had to keep it turned down to avoid disturbing the neighbours.

Leiloca

Novice Member
Mine isn't too bad. Not as powerful as the one that came with my ct790 but powerful enough to feel from across the room in the right scenes. The auto mode does seem to have a tendency to reduce bass substantially if there are long sections without a lot of it, then take a while bring it back up.

Guess it depends the amount of bass you want, the one that was with the ct790 could rattle the glass in doors, but I had to keep it turned down to avoid disturbing the neighbours.
Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom