Sony HT-DDWG800 Home Theatre Sys REVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
i suggest reading the manual, as its all contained within its pages....:smashin:

thanks, if its in there i'll have a good read again, just really struggling with understanding it! lol im not too up on surround sound and the terminology used so finding this a bit difficult.

why would you pay money for a surround system and only want to watch it in Stereo :confused:

You should be able to change the speaker levels though, i tweaked all mine....

i like to mess around with the different sounds still lol, i was just using 2ch for an example, i wouldn't watch a film in that. I use the A.F.D and movie to find a style of sound that sounds best as i struggle to hear the vocals in films for some reason with this S/S kit, i find them really quiet, yet all the effect and when people start shouting is really loud. thats why i want to be able to change the levels

Hello everyone
I´m getting crazy with video in this av
I connect PS3 -->HDMI -->AV DDWG800 -->HDMI-DVI --> TV and i´ve sound but no image (black screen and sometimes a white vertical line (0.5 cm)
When I conect PS3 --> HDMI-DVI --> TV no problem with image

Would it be possible to have image with PS3 -->HDMI -->AV DDWG800 --> COMPONENT-->TV

Many thanks in advice. i´m waiting for your answer i´m getting crazy with it

Anyone use any headphones with this amp whilst playing PS3 games? Whats the surround sound like through normal stereo cans as not sure whether to buy a 5.1 optical gaming set connected to the ps3 or just a decent pair of hifi ones connected to the amp.

i was blown away when I played MGS4 with my sennheiser DJ earphones :thumbsup:

But if you want to think on the practical side and you can't have both then getting an optical gaming set with microphone for playing PS3 online might be the way forward.

Otherwise you wont regret using a set of nice cans with the AMP, for movies, music and games :devil:

Hello everyone
I´m getting crazy with video in this av
I connect PS3 -->HDMI -->AV DDWG800 -->HDMI-DVI --> TV and i´ve sound but no image (black screen and sometimes a white vertical line (0.5 cm)
When I conect PS3 --> HDMI-DVI --> TV no problem with image

Would it be possible to have image with PS3 -->HDMI -->AV DDWG800 --> COMPONENT-->TV

Many thanks in advice. i´m waiting for your answer i´m getting crazy with it

So where is the sound coming from all this? Optical from PS3 to the Amp?

The Amp could be confused thinking that the PS3-HDMI is supposed to carry audio/video and since the HDMI-DVI---->TV will only carry video, while the amp is trying to output BOTH video and audio, you get your blackscreen/whiteline.

As far as I know this is the limitation of the amp where it automatically assumes HDMI carries both audio/video so maybe its best you just leave it all on HDMI-HDMI

With regards ur 2nd question the answer is NO

only HDMI in HDMI out, Component in Component Out

The Amp doesn't do signal processing I'm afraid

To godfather

working configuration ps3-->HDMI-DVI --> TV image and ps3 --> optical- AV sound

Not working configuration ps3 -->HDMI --> AV -->HDMI--DVI- TV Sound but no image

I would like to have HDMI sound and DVI image

Many thanks

To godfather

Not working configuration ps3 -->HDMI --> AV -->HDMI--DVI- TV Sound but no image

Many thanks

have you configured your PS3 audio/video output settings

To godfather

Many thanks

thats not going to happen,your "not working" configuration is what you will get if you try to connect like this.
for the best "working" connection,you need:

ps3 - hdmi - 800 / 800 - hdmi - tv.

this will give you the ability to have LPCM audio(converted from truHD/DTS-MA) on blu-ray,and the best possible way to connect.

currently,with you having to connect with dvi,and optical, your setup is essentially crippled,as all you will get is DD5.1/DTS 5.1,and no extra audio at all.

this is all due to the "dvi" in your connection.
its not recommended to use dvi,at all, with this amp, and it actually states this in the manual, as if it detects it, the amp will cut out the hdmi audio completely, and/or video, as you have found out.

The problem is that my tv doesn´t have HDMI only DVI or component

Is there any posybility with this TVand AV to have BD sound and goog image
Many thanks

with dvi connection only..no, not possible.

God :suicide:

Are AV enthusiasts ever happy?? :rotfl:

Took delivery of some new stands this weekend which have improved my sound stage no end.... This morning was enjoying Dark Knight thinking... I am happy now :rotfl:

Visited a friend who has a brand new boxed Optoma Hd65 which he has offered me for £300. Seems like a real good price and he has given me first refusal. It dawned on me at that very moment that I have NO idea how I can integrate this with my current equipment and am hoping one of you guys can help.

It seems the Optoma Hd65 has only 1 HDMI so how can I possibly connect up my HTPC, PS3 and 360?? Is it even possible? I would also like these units to stay connected for use with my LCD screen... like I said........ clueless.

Can someone please offer any advise, would appreciate it.

Thnx

ive got an optoma HD65..cracking piece of kit,and the dark knight is the dogs danglies on it.
if its new,it also comes with a 3 year warranty..so get his receipt for it too,so you can take advantage of that.!

also, are you getting a screen with it,as if he got it from littlewoods/marshall ward/GU,etc, it came with a 92" screen.
anyhoo, get one of these :

3 inputs/2outputs hdmi switch
3 Input 2 Output (3x2) HDMI Switcher-Splitter

or a 1 input/2output hdmi switch(if everything is going through the 800
1 Input 2 Output (1x2) HDMI Compact Splitter

cheaper version of the 1/2 version
kenable - for cables, networking and peripherals

the HD65 also has component and vga in,as well as s-video,and basic AV

Thanks mate, so am I right in thinking that I connect an HDMI from the 800's out to this:-

1 Input 2 Output (1x2) HDMI Compact Splitter

And then have 1 HDMI from the box to a PJ and a further HDMI to my LCD?

How easy is it to control the splitter, can it be programmed through my Harmony or do I have to get off my ass and flick a switch :rotfl:

Yes he has a reciept and yes it indeed comes with the very same screen you mentioned. Does that screen do the job well or would I need to go for something a little better?

** edit **

Seems this better meets my needs as my HTPC does not run through the 800 (only via toslink) seems that this also comes with remotes so looks ideal.

http://www.hdcable.co.uk/products/hd-switches/CESS0302B/

Last edited:
Seems this better meets my needs as my HTPC does not run through the 800 (only via toslink) seems that this also comes with remotes so looks ideal.

3 Input 2 Output (3x2) HDMI Switcher-Splitter

yep,thats the first one i linked to, but the someone was to use the 1/2, its automatic,so no remote needed.

for the 3/2 one, yep, that would suit you fine.:smashin:
and your lazy bones would be able to control it via the learning function on the harmony(if there is not code for it)

as to the screens, yeh,it does its job well,easy to hang(2 screws or hooks),and the PJ is ace.:D
just make sure to get the receipt,as i guess in time,optoma might need it if you get a warranty repair(register the PJ).
it does come with a 1000hour/6month warranty on the bulb installed in it,and a 3 year standard warranty for repair/replacement.
a bargain if you take it(you would be mad not too!!!)

for your hdmi cables(you will more or less need a long one for the switch to PJ,try here:

Premium HDMI Cables

excellent cable quality,and they do what they say on the tin!,and wont break the bank either..:smashin:
i use a very long one,for my pj and cant fault the cable at all.
considering currys sell a 1 metre one for about £60:rotfl:

Last edited:
Thanks again mate, picked it up this morning with the receipt, he even threw in a 15m HDMI lead as well.

Ordered the HDMI switcher which should be with me in the morning, gives me today to hang the screen and get the PJ mounted, all ready for the switcher in the morning.

His reasons for selling were..... he ordered the one I brought and was told soon after there was a 15 day wait for it to come back in stock. He then ordered the same PJ from Dixons who delivered the next day and rather than be a sensible chap and cancel the first, he forgot and still received it 3 weeks later :rotfl:

Rather than send it back and get a FULL refund, he decided to take a £150 loss and sell it cheap to me as it was...... easier :rotfl: His reasoning.. he did not have the time to run out to a cash machine and needed the cash quick..

As a 'frugal' Dutchman that makes me weep inside :rotfl:

i bet...buckets of tears..from laughing.!!:rotfl:
cracking bargain,by the way..:smashin:

A few quick questions here, apologies if they've already been answered (this thread is huge!)

1. Can component be output via the HDMI out?
2. How long is the subwoofer cable? I'm thinking of positioning it at the back of the room.
3. Can it still be had for £240ish anywhere? Pixmania have brought it back up to £279.

Thanks

Last edited:
A few quick questions here, apologies if they've already been answered (this thread is huge!)

1. Can component be output via the HDMI out?
2. How long is the subwoofer cable? I'm thinking of positioning it at the back of the room.
3. Can it still be had for £240ish anywhere? Pixmania have brought it back up to £279.

Thanks

1. No.
2. 1.8metres (6feet roughly).
3. not really, thats about the going price unfortunately.

I just got my Sony HT-DDWG800 from pixmania and I'm very happy so far. Thanks for all the recommendations :thumbsup: Subwoofer is huge, didn't expect that. This is my first AV receiver/Home theatre. Can someone explain a few basic things:

I have a TV set top box with SCART & composite out and a DVD player with SCART & composite out. Both have optical out for audio. So my connection would be as follows:

Set top Box
Video > SCART > TV
Audio > Optical > Sony
DVD player
Video > SCART > TV
Audio > Optical > Sony
Laptop > HDMI > Sony > HDMI > TV
(I also have an Archos 605 Tv Dock to connect, but I'll figure that out later)
Here are my Q's:
1. Is there any advantage in connecting the video via composite to the Sony and then to the TV?
2. Will SCART direct to TV give better picture quality than composite via Sony to TV?

I only have one video device connected to the system (laptop with HDMI out) - a lot of redundant video connections! Am I missing something here/not making the best use of the system? Thanks :)

1. forget composite, its absolute rubbish, possibly the worst picture quality known.
2. yes, no doubt about that,if its a fully wired 21 pin scart, connected to the rgb scart socket on the tv.(and your set top box is set to RGB).

as for your equipment,does the laptop pass 5.1 or any audio through hdmi?
if not, its a waste connecting it to the 800,and i would really just use the 800 for audio.
and use one of the other connections for audio,from laptop to 800.

Last edited:
I thought so, I read that full pin SCART is much better quality than Composite. I haven't tested it yet, but according to the video card spec (NVIDIA 8400) it passes audio over HDMI.

Last edited:
5.1 or just stereo though?

According to this, it should do 5.1:

"The chipset offers support for HDMI 1.3a in addition to standard VGA and DVI outputs. Audio can be passed over HDMI, but while 8-channel LPCM bitstreams are supported, TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats are not."

Hi all. I've been reading this excellent thread for a while (well, I got through about 30 pages of it), but have a question that may not have been asked yet.

Basically, I ordered this system from Pixmania Spain at the same time as a 40W4500 TV. Now, the DDWG800 looks like it'll arrive at least a week before the TV, leaving me with the problem: do I try to get it working with my (not very good) Acer AL2671W TV, SD Sky box and PS3, or do I just leave it in the box until the TV shows up?

The PS3 is connected to the TV via a HDMI-DVI cable. I guess that means I could just have the same cable coming out of the DDWG800 into the TV and connect the PS3 via HDMI and optical into the DDWG800. But I've read that this causes problems with one of the signals not working.

In short, my gut feeling is that I should just wait the extra week... but as you'll no doubt understand, this would be pretty tough!! ...any opinions would be most welcome.

with an hdmi/dvi cable, dont plug it into the 800,just use optical,as you wont get HD audio from the ps3,when dvi is added..the sony likes to cut the audio off for some reason.
it may work..but more than likely not,so just use the 800 for optical,until you can connect the tv,with hdmi to the 800/ps3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom