Sony HT-DDWG800 Home Theatre Sys REVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

godfarter

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Sony HT-DDWG800 last week from Pixmania after their price drop from £310 to £243 and received it today. Have roughly set it up and since there were no reviews for it while I was scouting around for a system to buy, i thought I'd post a very basic one here :hiya:

There is a list of UPDATES at the bottom of the review, be sure to check that for all the latest information, tips and tricks being shared amongst fellow DDWG800 Users in this Thread!

Here is a picture I took of the Receiver:
Sony HT-DDWG800 Receiver FRONT
Some of the features as stated on Sony.co.uk product page:

• Stylish black receiver with premium speakers in a wooden style modern finish
  • Pumps out a total of 865W from 5 speakers and a 20cm subwoofer (active) for rich bass
  • x.v. Colour and 24p True Cinema technology adjusts picture settings to makes movies look as authentic as the original
  • Multi Channel Linear PCM for true High Definition sound
  • Put yourself in the middle of the action with Dolby Digital Prologic II / DTS Decoding
  • Digital Cinema Sound for a true "at the movies" experience
  • 3 HDMI™ inputs (1 out) for a High Definition 1080p experience
  • A/V Sync for perfect sound and image synchronisation with flat panel TVs
  • DCAC - one-push automatic sound set-up for flexible speaker placement and optimum sound quality
  • Sony DIGITAL MEDIA PORT - connect to and release digital music stored on your WALKMAN® or other mp3 players, mobile phones, Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi devices. (additional accessory required)
  • 3x component video inputs
  • Front Portable Audio in enables you to connect and access music from WALKMAN®, iPod® and more
  • Portable Audio Enhancer function boosts quality of compressed music such as mp3's
  • FM / AM radio tuner with RDS and 60 station presets (30 FM + 30 AM)

System Specs

Amplifier

6Ohms 1kHz (per channel)135 W/ch
6Ohms 1kHz (L+R)90 W + 90 W
(6Ohms 1kHz) THD1%
Power Output (Total) - 135 W x5 + 190 W = 865 W
Number of amp. channels - 5.1ch
Bi-AMP - NOType - Analog
4 Ohm / 8 Ohm Switching - NO (6 Ohm only)
Circuit Device - Discrete
DSP - Sharc
OP processing - NO
Analog Down Mix - NO
Equalizer (F / C / Sur / Sur B) Bass, Mid, Treble - B,T / NO / NO / NO
Subwoofer X`Over - Fix 150 Hz
Analog Direct - NO
Pureness Control - NO
Sound Field Link (w Lock) - YES (NO)
Sound Field Program (Movie) - 3
Sound Field Program (Music) - 6
Sound Field Program (A.F.D) - 5
Sound Field Program (2ch) - 1
Sound Field Program (Headphone) - 2
Front Surround Mode (S-Force) - NO
Portable Audio Enhancer - YES
Cinema Studio EX. A/B/C mode - YES
Digital Concert Hall - NO
X-Round - NO
Speaker Selector - A Only
Speaker Terminal - A: Front (Screw) / Others (Push)
Headphone Out - YES (Silver)

Inputs/Outputs

USB - NO
DIGITAL MEDIA PORT (Level 1) - 1 (NO OSD)
IX (Wi-Fi) - Optional
Bluetooth® - Optional
Connect Optional
iPod® - Optional
Front Input - AV
Audio In / Out (excl. tuner) - 2 / 1
A / V In / Out (S-Video I / O): Including Front AV - 4 / 1 (NO / NO)
Monitor Out (S-Video Out) - 1 (NO)
Component Video In / Out (Pass through) - 3 / 1
Phono (MM) - NO
Multi-ch In - NO

Digital In/Out

HDMI™ - 3 / 1
i.Link - NO
Opt. : including Front A/V - 2 / 0
Coax. - 1 / 0
Digital Input Assign - YES
Pre Out - SW x1

Decoding Format

DTS HD / DolbyTruHD / Dolby Digital+ - NO / NO / NO
LPCM (2ch / 5.1ch / 7.1ch) thru HDMI™ - YES / YES / NO
Dolby Digital / DTS - YES / YES
Dolby Digital EX - NO
DTS-ES (MATRIX6.1 / DISCRETE6.1) - NO
DTS 96 / 24 - NO
DTS NEO:6 - NO
Dolby Prologic - YES
Dolby Prologic II - YES
Dolby Prologic IIx - NO
Dolby Dual Mono - YES
96k / 24Bit PCM - YES

Tuner

XM Radio - NO
Neural Audio - NO
Sirius - NO
Preset Channel (XM / FM / AM) - 0 / 30 / 30
Station Name - YES
Auto Tuning - YES
Direct Tuning - YES

Video Features

HDMI™ Repeater - YES
Upscaling (Component / HDMI™) - NO / NO
Video Up Converter (S / Component / HDMI™) - NO / NO / NO
Video Down Converter (Digital / Analog) - NO / NO
A / V SYNC (Variable / Fixed) - YES (Fixed)
Time (msec) - 60
Sampling Frequency (96 kHz / 48 kHz) - 48 kHz
Assignable HDMI™ Video IN - NO

Assignable Component Video IN - NO

Reciever Weight & Dimensions

Receiver - STR-KG800
Receiver Size (WxHxD) mm - 430 x157.5 x 318
Receiver Weight (kg) - 7.8

Speaker Unit Weight & Dimension

Front Surround Sound Speaker Left/Right - SS-MSP890
Front SS L/R / Size (WxHxD) mm - 130 x 215 x 136 (with foot)
Front SS L/R / Weight (kg) - 1.4
Front Surround Sound Speaker Right

Center Surround Sound Speaker - SS-CNP890
Center Speaker / Size (WxHxL) mm - 245 x 110 x 136 (with foot)
Center Speaker / Weight (kg) - 1.3

Rear Surround Sound Speaker Left/Right - SS-SRP890
Rear SS L/R / Size (WxHxD) mm - 115 x 170 x 141 (with foot)
Rear SS L/R / Weight (kg) - 1.0

Subwoofer - SA-WP890
Subwoofer Size (WxHxD) mm - 270 x 335 x 380 (with foot)
Subwoofer Weight (kg) - 8.3

Supplied Accessories

Optimizer Microphone for DCAC used x 1
Sony Unified Remote x 1
Rear Speaker Cable: Long x 2
Monaural audio cord x 1
FM wire & AM loop Antenna x 1
Size AA batteries x 2

Optional Accessories

DIGITAL MEDIA PORT for iPod® Base x 1
Speaker Stand: WS-FV11 or WS-FV10D x 1
DIGITAL MEDIA PORT Base for WALKMAN® x 1
DIGITAL MEDIA PORT Wi-Fi for PC x 1
DIGITAL MEDIA PORT Bluetooth® Receiver x 1

Basically I was looking for a Home Theatre System without a DVD player to fit my purposes of MAINLY accommodating my Sky HD Satellite Set-top Box, PS3 and possibly my media center pc which has been outfitted with a graphics card with a HDMI out - so if you are looking to do the same, you are on the right track. ;)

In terms of looks, the HT-DDWG800 seems very classic, dark brown finish which harkens to a hi-fi system my dad bought back in the eighties - a bit boring unlike the sleek/futuristic designs that are on offer by other brands, Samsung's range comes to mind. The Sub-Woofer seems exceptionally wide/big while the Centre speaker seems to be rather squashed in.

More Pictures
Sony HT-DDWG800 Sub Woofer
Sony HT-DDWG800 Centre Speaker

So for aesthetic beauty, I wouldn't score the HT-DDWG800 that highly but for the price of this mid-range system, I'm not going to let it bother me.

Connection-wise, I think this system is where it really scores! :thumbsup:

Picture of all the connections
Sony HT-DDWG800 Receiver BACK

With 3 HDMI input and 1 HDMI out, the HT-DDWG800 is for the moment very future-proof - being able service a high-definition set-top box as well as a high definition games console or dvd player. And the manufacturers sure had that in mind when they labelled the 3 HDMI inputs as "SAT in, DVD in, BD in" on the back as well as on the remote control.

For Sound, there are 2 Optical Inputs as well, labelled "Optical In, SAT in" and also a Co-Axial (orange) Input for DVDs. For those who are worried with all these labelling well not to worry, as the "Optical SAT in" and "Coaxial DVD in" are all reassignable

Component Input junkies do not have to worry either as there are 3 sets - "SAT in, DVD in, Video 1 in" and one out. And the die hard Analog users will also not have anything to worry about - except maybe if you are a SCART user. There are no SCART ports on this receiver so if your equipment requires it then you can easily buy converters from analog to SCART like those that came in the box with the Wii or Archos PMPs.

Audiophiles are not forgotten too - as there is an input for Super Audio CD which is basically an ordinary red/white input where I assume the real magic actually happens after the receiver processes the sound.

Setting up was rather easy - and I say this because there is a one touch button that actually does everything for you. Called the Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC), you basically attach the Auto CAL microphone that comes in the boox to the front of the receiver, place it in the centre of the room or where you will be doing your watching, face the speakers at the microphone and start the auto calibration. The speakers will start hissing as the receiver starts doing its job. There were ERROR/WARNING codes when I did my setup, which when compared to the list in the manual was to tell me I needed to reposition my left and right speaker as the distance was out of range.

Easy peasy step by step troubleshooting and minutes later, I am enjoying rich Sony sound :clap:

I am using the HT-DDWG800 with my Toshiba 37WLT68, which is 1080i, so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of BRAVIA sync, but if you own a Sony BRAVIA tv then you can use this feature.

Another feature of the receiver is the DIGITAL MEDIA PORT which I am aching to try. Basically its another output at the back where you can attach different peripherals (Sony branded, of course :rolleyes:) which adds extra functionality to your system. Looking at the DMP leaflet that came in the box, you can add an iPod cradle or Sony WALKman cradle(enjoy music in the mp3 player and charge it), a Bluetooth Wireless Audio Adapter (enjoy digital music stored in cell-phones and music players with bluetooth) or a Wireless Network Audio Adapter (enjoy digital music sotred on your PC. stream music through your wifi network - Pity its not video but maybe in the future :confused: )

Picture of the Surround Satellite Speakers
Sony HT-DDWG800 Satellite Speaker FRONT
Sony HT-DDWG800 Satellite Speaker BACK

You have basically two options when choosing how to mount your speakers. First is to place it on a speaker stand (the manual recommends the WS-FV11 Sony model but I'm sure there are other cheaper/better options available). Foot pads are provided in the box for you to stick under the speakers and subwoofer to prevent vibration/movement. 2nd option is to use wall screws/hooks where there is a hole behind the speakers for you to hang them from. Instructions and guide all in the manual so don't worry.

I am now playing the movie 300 on blu-ray via my PS3 and tinkering with the Auto Format Direct Surround Sound settings. On the Auto mode, the receiver decodes the sound as it was recorded without any surround effects and does so very well. With the other Dolby pro logic II decoding, the sound effects are also very well reproduced and ambient sounds (wind rustling) are rich. Once I get more adept with the HT-DDWG800 I may be able to give a more technical review - unless one of you beats me to it! :D

Overall bang for buck this is a great system which is really future proof in my opinion with the great amount of connectivity options :thumbsup:

Hope fellow buyers will share their experiences with this system here!

UPDATES

As this thread continues to grow and all of us new/potential owners continue to give our input/troubleshooting/queries, I will endeavour to keep this first post updated for easy reference (Thanks to RottenFox:D for adding the rest of the DDWG800 specs) so we don't need to scour through pages upon pages :suicide:

1. SPEAKER STANDS AND MOUNTING
    Make sure the speaker stands come with universal mounts

I have included a picture here of how the FRONT and REAR speakers are mounted on speaker stands.

Picture of how Sony DDWG800 Speakers are Mounted

Front speakers have both keyhole and screw mounts WHEREAS the Rear speakers only have a screw mount

With the speakers being dark wood BROWN and BLACK it was a personal decision of mine to go with BLACK Speaker stands to match.

I bought mine off Amazon last month, quite a good deal I paid £49.99 + £4 delivery for 4 x BLACK B-Tech BT11/B Speaker Stands... this model has been around for a while now and the deal is not available but search around you might get lucky or if you are just looking for 2 stands it's still available.

If I'm not mistaken there is another pair of black speaker stands by HAMA, at quite a good price too
  2. SPEAKER CABLES

The REAR Speaker cables provided by SONY are only 8M long so if needed be prepared to get longer ones to fit your set-up.

When I bought mine at the beginning of July, I took the plunge and got two rolls of 20M cable off eBay.

I paid £8.45 for 20 metres and it said "oxygen free OFC" so i thought, "can't be that bad"

So far so good - just that you have to do your own wire cutting to expose both ends and because my wire cutting skills aren't good :suicide: and the tubing was quite thick - took awhile to get it right :D

Just comparing the cable i bought (left,copper) and the ones Sony provided (right,grey)

Photo of my eBay Speaker Cable compared with the cables provided by Sony

Already one comparison is that extra silver bit over the Sony wires keeps the rest of the wire from splitting and fraying - this is not provided with wires bought over ebay i suppose :rolleyes:

3. DDWG800's STR-KG800 AMP FEET
    Here is a picture of the Amp's feet for those worried about the Height of the STR-KG800 Amp!

Picture of Sony HT-DDWG800 Amp Feet

When measured looking straight on (there is parallax error in the photo so look at the Ruler from 0.2 to 1.2cm mark) the Amp's Feet are about 10mm in height.

It doesn't unscrew when i turn but if you notice there is a rubber footing underneath. It is possible that removing the rubber footing might reveal a screw which might allow you to remove the feet to decrease the height.

Operational word is MIGHT :D
  4. DDWG800 SPEAKER CABLE "Headache-Inducing" KNOBS

You might tear your hair out with these (like i did:suicide:) or you could get BANANA PLUGS like Rottenfox suggested. Just so you will be prepared

Picture of DDWG800 Speaker Cable "Knobs" that give me a Headache :suicide:

I don't think there are any peripherals I can add on to make it easier for the "knobs" to grab onto the wire, it could just be that the exposed bits on the sony cable are probably too short for there to be a good grip (if i push it too far it will come into contact with the rubber wire and cause there to be no sound)

I'm sure it would just be much easier if using thicker and more exposed wires ;)

5. UK 3 PIN PLUG CONVERTERS (Pixmania only provides ONE)
    At the moment since the product Pixmania is selling is basically an EU import, hence BOTH the plugs for the AMP and the SUBWOOFER are 2 Round PIN EU Plugs. Pixmania will only provide ONE UK Converter so be prepared to get another one.
  6. DIGITAL-ASSIGN PROBLEMS FOR AUDIO WITH HDMI

One of the features of the AMP is the ability to digitally assign different sound outputs according to your requirement.

HOWEVER, there seems to be a problem with the system (in general newer SONY amps - problem is supposedly currently being addressed by SONY) where if you want HDMI for your Video Signal and COAXIAL/OPTICAL for your Audio Signal, the Amp AUTOMATICALLY OVERRIDES the Audio Input and "assumes" HDMI carries both.

This can be a problem if:
    • like me, you are connecting your PC to the Amp via HDMI from the graphics card and Coaxial/Optical from your sound card
    • you are connecting a VIDEO PROJECTOR which only carries Video Signals via the HDMI/DVI cable

--
    As posted by AMX, I have addressed this "annoyance" by doing this.

For Example, if like me you have this set up:
    PC Display -> HDMI and PC Sound -> Coaxial
    1. Attach to your receiver.
    2. Reassign the coaxial to SA-CD/CD on your receiver
    3. When you want to watch your PC on the tv, select the button on your Receiver Remote (for me its the DVD button)
    4. Once the computer display comes on the TV, press the SA-CD/CD button to get your digital sound
  7. CONTROLLING AMP(STR-KG800) WITH YOUR SKY+ REMOTE

The SKY Remote control Code is 1786

Here is what you must do:

1.Turn your AV Setup on - TV, Receiver, Sky
    2.Press TV button on your Sky Remote
    3.Press and Hold SELECT and 0 - Red Light should blink twice
    4.Enter code 1786
    5.Press the LEFT arrow - amp should turn off
    6.Press the LEFT button to turn the amp back on again
    7.Press TV button on your Sky Remote (to get into your newly configured amp control mode)
    8.Press and Hold SELECT and 1 - Red Light should blink twice
    9.You should now be able to control the VOLUME on your Sony HT-DDWG800 Receiver (STR-KG8000)

If you are using a newer Sky Remote you should be able to control the Amp volume WITHOUT having to press the TV button first

Been pressing all the other buttons on the Sky Remote, here is a list of which buttons affect the Amp:
    1.Left Arrow - Puts the Amp into STANDBY
    2.Mute - works like it should, puts the Amp into MUTING
    3.Stop - weirdly, it puts the Amp into VIDEO 1. Tried pressing again hoping it would change the input modes on the Amp but it doesn't

Versions of SKY Remotes that allows the code (check inside SKY remote battery cover)
    • SKY+ HD Remote REV 8

8. HDMI vs OPTICAL FOR HD EQUIPMENT USED WITH DDWG800
    Just a consolidation of information shared within this thread about which cables to use to achieve best possible audio with your eqipment and the DDWG800.

The DDWG800 relies on the equipment to do the decoding, for example

PS3 and Virginmedia V+ box: Therefore only HDMI cable is needed for both audio (surround) and video

On the other hand where the equipment does not, for example

SKY+ HD box: You will need a separate audio cable (optical) and the HDMI cable from the SKY+ HD box must ONLY transmit video (i.e. connected directly to your tv/projector and NOT through the DDWG800)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Had ordered this system myself, also from Pixmania. Could you tell me whether the amp has a uk plug attached? Was a little concerned to read that as Pixmania are based in France, they send you European stock with 2 pin plugs and a uk converter. Would be grateful if you could let me know either way.

Cheers.

Was a little concerned to read that as Pixmania are based in France, they send you European stock with 2 pin plugs and a uk converter.

You are correct - both the Receiver and Sub Woofer come as 2-round pin plugs - Pixmania have included ONE UK 3-pin converter.

Am thinking of ordering Sony DDWG700 from Pixmania. The 700 suits my purpose better.
The problem I am having is the fact that I've been unable to view this item anywhere. Even the local Sony Centres say that they will not be getting one! Did you view first or did you just read the specs and go on that?
Cheers

Even the local Sony Centres say that they will not be getting one! Did you view first or did you just read the specs and go on that?
Cheers

Same. I initially went into my local Sony centre hoping to get a hands-on before but they had not heard of it - so Yes, I went on the specs alone and how well it would suit my purpose

Probably a silly question, but can video sources plugged into the component or composite sockets all be outputted over hdmi or do i need to run seperate hdmi, component and composite outs to my projector?

if you mean,higher spec,then the HT DDWG800 is higher.
more video inputs,more inputs in general,and meatier,fuller sound,than the 1300.

its good to see that they havent changed the speakers from the last gen of receivers/speakers packs,as there was nothing wrong with them,and the subwoofer is a beast,when performing.

I have been looking for a new AIO system, but i could change my mind with this.

Can anybody recommend a Blue Ray palyer to go with this.

Also would my '360 work well with this?

Ta

Probably a silly question, but can video sources plugged into the component or composite sockets all be outputted over hdmi or do i need to run seperate hdmi, component and composite outs to my projector?

Anyone? Is this something that in general, is possible?

I have been looking for a new AIO system, but i could change my mind with this.

Can anybody recommend a Blue Ray palyer to go with this.

Also would my '360 work well with this?

Ta

the ps3,is a damn fine blu-ray player.
and yes,the 360 will work just fine with this,but no HD audio,as the xbox 360 doesnt do HD audio,so only DD5.1,or DTS when watching movies.

Anyone? Is this something that in general, is possible?

composite in - composite out.
component in - component out.

Can I run the aerial antenna coaxial into the back of this & then HDMI into a Panasonic PZ85 allowing the PZ85's freeview to work ?

Or will I need to run the aerial direct into PZ85 ?

Can I run the aerial antenna coaxial into the back of this & then HDMI into a Panasonic PZ85 allowing the PZ85's freeview to work ?

Or will I need to run the aerial direct into PZ85 ?

there is not a tv aerial input on this..that input is for a FM radio aerial,not for a tv.
So,yes,you will have to connect the tv aerial directly to a tv.

Excellent review Godfarter, I wonder now you have had it for a while, could you add anything now, is there anything particularity bad about the system etc?

hi

I just wonder...how big is the box with whole equipment :>?

I wonder now you have had it for a while, could you add anything now, is there anything particularity bad about the system etc?

At the moment, NO real PROBLEMS

I see no loss in quality from the PS3 (Metal Gear Solid 4 :D) or my HD satellite channels. Sound is great but once you start watching Standard Definition channels (which face it is most of the time), I usually choose to switch back to Multi-Stereo mode to allow the 2channel sound to fill the room.

The remote control doesn't seem to want to accept my button presses at a very acute angle - but i guess thats common for most IR devices, that you usually have to press it face-on. So if its anything thats my only gripe at the moment - plus the clunkiness of the centre speaker which I mentioned in my review :suicide: (I don't know where to place it to make it look the nicest - right now my tv is mounted on a LCD stand and I have put the centre speaker on top of the mounting pole as it is quite a big flat surface - the top of the tv conceals the speaker but as to whether it affects the sound coming out by blocking, i think I can live with that for now)

Be aware however that the REAR speaker wires are not very long so be prepared to buy another 2 (I bought 2x20m cables) if like me you need to run it along the perimeter of the walls to keep things neat!

I have also just ordered speaker stands (in particular the B-Tech BT11) so when they arrive and I can mount it up, I will see if there are any improvements.

I am also now in the process of connecting my HP Media Center PC to pass through the DDWG800 Receiver - so far I've changed to using a coaxial cable for digital audio as opposed to using a phono red/white cables before and the media on my pc sounds much better. My display is still via the VGA connection on my tv but hopefully I will change it to either HDMI/Component via the receiver soon so that I can basically leave the television on just the one HDMI input channel

Thanks for the info, can you confirm whether or not the amp is able to process both video and audio through HDMI?

I have looked at a few others and I don't like the idea of running both optical and HDMI leads from my devices.

Regards

At the moment, NO real PROBLEMS

I see no loss in quality from the PS3 (Metal Gear Solid 4 :D) or my HD satellite channels. Sound is great but once you start watching Standard Definition channels (which face it is most of the time), I usually choose to switch back to Multi-Stereo mode to allow the 2channel sound to fill the room.

The remote control doesn't seem to want to accept my button presses at a very acute angle - but i guess thats common for most IR devices, that you usually have to press it face-on. So if its anything thats my only gripe at the moment - plus the clunkiness of the centre speaker which I mentioned in my review :suicide: (I don't know where to place it to make it look the nicest - right now my tv is mounted on a LCD stand and I have put the centre speaker on top of the mounting pole as it is quite a big flat surface - the top of the tv conceals the speaker but as to whether it affects the sound coming out by blocking, i think I can live with that for now)

Be aware however that the REAR speaker wires are not very long so be prepared to buy another 2 (I bought 2x20m cables) if like me you need to run it along the perimeter of the walls to keep things neat!

I have also just ordered speaker stands (in particular the B-Tech BT11) so when they arrive and I can mount it up, I will see if there are any improvements.

I am also now in the process of connecting my HP Media Center PC to pass through the DDWG800 Receiver - so far I've changed to using a coaxial cable for digital audio as opposed to using a phono red/white cables before and the media on my pc sounds much better. My display is still via the VGA connection on my tv but hopefully I will change it to either HDMI/Component via the receiver soon so that I can basically leave the television on just the one HDMI input channel

My display is still via the VGA connection on my tv but hopefully I will change it to either HDMI/Component via the receiver soon so that I can basically leave the television on just the one HDMI input channel

is this possible on this reciever? to add component and output hdmi?

No, this receiver cannot upconvert a component input to hdmi. Basically component in component out.

Thanks for the info, can you confirm whether or not the amp is able to process both video and audio through HDMI?

I have looked at a few others and I don't like the idea of running both optical and HDMI leads from my devices.

Regards

Yes it can, I just got this this weekend and I love it, its amazingly good :)

The only problem I am having with it is, I have my Sky+ HD plugged in via the HDMI cable, but I also have an optical cable attached so I can get 5.1. But the amp always chooses the HDMI audio over the optical and I cannot figure out how to choose between the 2 audio sources.

I also have my PS3 plugged in via HDMI into the amp as well as the optical audio plugged in, but this does not come as an issue as I can tell my PS3 how I want it to output audio either via HDMI or Optical, but the sky+ HD has no such options and it seems to me like the amp has no means to let me make a selection, the only way I can do it is if I don't plug the HDMI cable from my sky box into the amp and just plug that into my TV and have the optical cable in the amp only.. urgh its bothering me.

Last edited:
HDMI has priority over everything for me even if the source isnt putting out HDMI audio so i would be intrested to know how you got it working with the PS3 outputting optical with hdmi connected?

If you connect optical to TV on AMP and select the HDMI input BD/DVD/SAT then select TV the picture stays on the selected HDMI input and the audio is from TV optical

Last edited:
Yes it can, I just got this this weekend and I love it, its amazingly good :)

The only problem I am having with it is, I have my Sky+ HD plugged in via the HDMI cable, but I also have an optical cable attached so I can get 5.1. But the amp always chooses the HDMI audio over the optical and I cannot figure out how to choose between the 2 audio sources.

I also have my PS3 plugged in via HDMI into the amp as well as the optical audio plugged in, but this does not come as an issue as I can tell my PS3 how I want it to output audio either via HDMI or Optical, but the sky+ HD has no such options and it seems to me like the amp has no means to let me make a selection, the only way I can do it is if I don’t plug the HDMI cable from my sky box into the amp and just plug that into my TV and have the optical cable in the amp only.. urgh its bothering me.

I was under the impression that Sky box's could not output dual channel........... ??

is this possible on this reciever? to add component and output hdmi?

No, this receiver cannot upconvert a component input to hdmi. Basically component in component out.

SPACEMAN763 is correct. I tried it out with the Wii but only the sound was there but nothing on the screen.:(

This effectively means you can keep 3 HDMI inputs on one HDMI TV channel and then for the rest of the other inputs you would need to actually physically change the television channel.

Hence I have already ordered a long HDMI cable for my Media Center PC connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom