1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HT-BE1 connections

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by john039, Oct 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. john039

john039

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm looking at the above system as it's got a cracking write up in a couple of mags I've flicked through.

Admittedly it's not gonna compare with a seprates system, but I'm stuck for space what with DVD,Sky,and VCD units taking it all up, and as I've only got Dolby surround via the TV at the minute I'm sure this will be a big leap in quality.

Question..
    Looking at the connections on the back of the HT-BE1, optical and 1 set phono only....how is it possible to link all my units into it?

Thanks for any advice.
    John

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVD player - use optical or co-axial.
    VCD and Sky, obtain a cheapish switching box, if looping through your digibox isn't possible.
    Personally, buy something else instead.

3. john039

john039

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the reply gringottsdirect.

I've been looking for a while now, and the separates I've seen are huge(unable to fit)...thats why the Sony appealed,also the pro logic 2.

So what would you recommend, and why not the Sony?,I aint got a big budget , only a 15 x 11 ft room.

John

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    HT-BE1 has tinny cube speakers coupled with a weak sub.
    I know you have a DVD player already, but say you bought a Sony DAVS300 from Argos @ £199 or similar, it would sound much better and also solve your connections problem.
    If you check around for deals on DAV300s I've seen them in Currys / Comet / Dixons and check out www.empiredirect.co.uk and www.richersounds.com
    Alternatively, have a look at the Yamaha packages.
    PL2 is fantastic but maybe I would hold off a bit longer until ready to buy something that will satisfy you, rather than plump for HT-BE1.
    On the other hand, if you are not chasing room filling power , the little Sony may suit you fine.