Sony HT-AS5 v BDV-E280 - What's the best to go for?

Mono85

Novice Member
Hello all,

Long time scourer of AVForums, first time posting on the forum itself. I'm thinking of getting a Home Cinema system and this my current system set up.

Sony KDL-40S5500
Sky+HD (Amstrad DRX890)
Sony PlayStation 3 Slim

I've gotten myself down to two different systems and I'm puzzled as to which is the best one to go for.

The first one is the Sony HT-AS5 which is the source-less system. It's able to support Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic I/II and DTS through HDMI and Dolby Digital and DTS through Optical.

The second one is the Sony BDV-E280 which is the system with the BD player. It, unlike the first one, can support Dolby Digital/Digital Plus/Pro Logic I/II/TrueHD and then DTS/HD/HD (HiRes)/Master through HDMI and then Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 through Optical.

The first problem is that since my TV doesn't support ARC technology, I can't connect the PS3/Sky through HDMI IN to both of the above systems and then use the HDMI OUT to connect to the TV. I have researched about using the optical cable to connect the PS3/Sky to the HT-AS5 and BDV-E280 but on the latter there is only one optical in.

The second problem is since the HT-AS5 doesn't support the other codecs which are in the BDV-E280, I'm drawn to the latter. However, I've heard that smaller subwoofers like the one shipped with the BDV-E280 don't give as big as depth (I like listening to a lot of rock music and thus love the bass) as the bigger ones like the one shipped with the HT-AS5.

I hope I have clearly explained what I am facing as I do tend to waffle and go round in circles when trying to explain situations like these :laugh:.

Thank you very much,

Mono85

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom